Note Files with new Logos 4

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 42
Tom Leighow | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 1:45 PM

It appears that with the new Logos 4 that notes made in one Bible translation do not carry over to other Bible translations as they do in Libronix (Logos 3).   I realize that in Logos 3 the notes will carry over only when made to specific verse numbers, but when I add notes to specific verse numbers in Logos 4 they don't carry over to all other translations.   In my opinion, this is a huge problem.    What is Logos doing about this problem?

Additionally, I am shocked that my hundreds of notes that I have made in various Bibles and books in my Libronix Logos 3 do not carry over to the new Logos 4.   There must be thousands of people out there who have placed thousands of notes in their Libronix library from Logos 3 that need their notes carried over to the new Logos 4.   I can't imagine that this problem has not be noticed yet, so I have to ask again, "what is Logos doing about this problem?"  

Thank you for answering these two concerns for me.

Tom Leighow

tomandbecky@carolina.rr.com

Posts 2365
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 1:50 PM

importing of notes is gonna happen, the website says SOON, but no exact date

Yes that is correct on the Notes, several people have raised this already, not aware of a definitive answer has been issued yet.

edit: see below

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 35
Gabriel Powell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 1:52 PM

Thomas, I don't know the answer to your first question, but I do know that Logos is right now working on an import tool for note and markup. From what I remember it'll be available within the week.

This was definitely not over-looked... many of us beta testers made the need for this known as a high priority!

Laptop: Windows 7 Professional x64, Intel Dual-Core, 2GB RAM, Radeon X1600

Home: Vista Ultimate x86,  AMD Quad-Core, 4GB RAM, GeForce 8400 GS 512MB

Work: Windows 7 x64, Intel Dual-Core, 8GB RAM, Radeon X1300/X1550

Posts 2735
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 1:55 PM

Yes, note imports is coming soon, be patient.

Yes, you can make a note show up in all Bible versions.  I don't have access to my v4 to post a screen shot or instructions, but it is possible.  Maybe someone else will jump in and show the way.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 42
Tom Leighow | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:00 PM

Joe,

Thank you so much for that comforting news.   So when you get the chance, would you mind sending me instructions on how to make my notes appear in all translations?    Even the support tech at Logos that I spoke with today seemed to think that it can't be done.    I will really appreciate you instructions on this. 

Thanks again,

Tom

Posts 42
Tom Leighow | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:05 PM

Gabriel,

Thanks so much for your quick response.   I am encouraged, indeed, to know that something is being done to bring my notes from Logos 3 over to 4.   Whew!!  What a relief!!!       Yes           So how will I know when this comes out?   And additionally, all my notes created in Logos 3 carried over to all translations (as well as most commentaries), so when the import tool comes available, will that place my notes in Logos 4 over to all my translations?

Thanks for your assistance on this.

Tom

Posts 2735
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:11 PM

Thomas, the problem is I uninstalled my L4windows version and am only using the Mac Alpha.  The only reason I know this can be done is that I read a thread recently where this question was answered.  

You may be waiting a long time for me to answer.  Sorry.

Meantime, try a search of the forums to see if you can turn up the thread.  Barring that, i am confident someone currently on L4 for windows can jump in. :-)

Posts 42
Tom Leighow | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:14 PM

Thanks Joe, and I will put out an APB to see if someone else has figured out how to do it.  I appreciate your time to respond to me.

Tom

Posts 7119
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:15 PM

Tom (nice name) be encouraged brother there are solutions here.

1.  I am able to make a note in my Nasb95 at a verse like Luke 1:1 and it shows up in every translation. 

In the video below, please notice how I did so.  The same notes are linked across all my bibles.

Make sure that when you create a note that when you right click to create it that you select "reference" in the right hand menu as the video shows.

Finally, note that Note import is coming.  Please see "what's missing" in my sig below.

http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/76/5722.notes.swf

[View:http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/76/5722.notes.swf:640:500]

Posts 42
Tom Leighow | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:27 PM

Thomas,

I'm not "doubting" you at all (bad joke, I know - but I still love the name), but I wasn't able to pull up the video link you sent me.  It just says, "bad request."   But I still got the hope, my brother, still got the hope.   It sounds like you have it figured out - now I just have to figure out how I can get to know what you already know about linking notes across all Bibles.   Maybe you can try again at that link, or give me some other directions on getting my notes to go across.  

Thanks soooooooo much for helping me on this.   (yeah, I admit, I'm really hung-up on this thing of my notes going across to all translations)  And it sounds like "you're the man with the answers."

Thanks for your help,

Another,

Tom

Posts 715
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:30 PM

Thomas,

The help on Notes says:

• Note: Adding a note to a Reference will add the note to all your Bibles.

So, like L3 you have to attach the note to the verse #

Chris

Posts 2365
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:32 PM

WOW, I love being proved wrong when it comes to my lack of knowledge about Logos, thanks Thomas

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 2735
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:35 PM

ThomasMLeighow:
I wasn't able to pull up the video link you sent me. 
If I click the link from my email, I get the error.  If I click the link from the forums, it works.  So be sure to link to the video from the Logos forum and not the email you were sent.

Posts 715
Chris Elford | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:37 PM

What Thomas Black is saying is:

When you right click, in the right hand side of the dialog box you can select several things that give different options in the left and will link to notes differently. Make sure you select "Reference."

Screen shot video[View: [Edit: Jing videos don't seem to work if inserted.]

http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/76/4214.2009_2D00_11_2D00_05_5F00_1533.swf:550:0]:

Static screen shot:

Chris

Posts 7119
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:59 PM

Yeah I had problems with the video, Let's try again with a still image:

If you Follow those three steps in the photo, you should get "cross version" notes.  You can change the default note file I think by just going to File> and pick the note file you want or create a new one.  I'm pretty sure the right click menu (#1) remembers the last used note file.

Posts 42
Tom Leighow | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 4:27 PM

You, my new found friend, Mr. Thomas Black, are an absolute genius.   IT WORKS!  IT WORKS!  IT WORKS! And THANK YOU; THANK YOU; THANK YOU, for hanging in there with me.   It was actually your step #1 that showed me the error of my ways.   I was trying to use the Libronix Logos 3 way by highlighting the verse number.   And that's where I went wrong.  Thanks to you, I got it now.     I am ever so grateful.

Now, my only remaining question (for tonight that is) is this:   When the added feature of carrying over the notes from Libronix Logos 3 to Logos 4 is available for use, will those notes just all magically appear in Logos 4, or will there have to be some manipulation to cause the notes to transfer over?    Thanks for answering.

Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it.

Tom   Big Smile

Posts 13682
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:03 PM

Glad it works ... I'd swear that those are the steps I did over and over and couldn't get it to work. and it still doesn't .... I'll trying again but ...

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 13682
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 6:06 PM

Okay - I finally got it to work but ....

What I was doing wrong was that I was highlighting more than one verse rather than clicking on the verse number. Since I HATE chapter and verse except for citations - I use SENTENCES, I'll need to play with it a bit more to get what I need.

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7119
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 9:08 AM

ThomasMLeighow:
Now, my only remaining question (for tonight that is) is this: When the added feature of carrying over the notes from Libronix Logos 3 to Logos 4 is available for use, will those notes just all magically appear in Logos 4, or will there have to be some manipulation to cause the notes to transfer over? Thanks for answering.

Glad it worked!  They are currently testing the tool in house (not with beta testers) so I can't answer how it will work.  But I'm sure it will be easy.

Posts 7119
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 9:19 AM

MJ. Smith:
What I was doing wrong was that I was highlighting more than one verse rather than clicking on the verse number. Since I HATE chapter and verse except for citations - I use SENTENCES, I'll need to play with it a bit more to get what I need.

Martha, sadly highlighting a phrase won't be cross version but by choosing reference selection (see pic) you can add a note to that particular version.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS