Verse Notes: best way to use them

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 34 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 2:57 PM

Would some of you proficient note takers explain how you use notes--especially assigned to verses.  I thought one way to use them is to attach salient commentary sections to a verse--does anyone do this?  And what do you do if you find a large amount of text over several commentaries?

Also: How do you handle taking notes for a sermon you are preparing?  what about your research that spans commentaries, collections, encyclopedias, illustrations, etc.?

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:05 PM

I use Word, but I would be interested to know what others do in notes.  I never thought much of them in 3.0 and could never imagine putting anything of value in them, so this is a great question.  What did I miss? How does it translate to 4.0?

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:18 PM

Joe Miller:
I use Word,

The reason i used Logos Notes was because i could easily take notes within the program without toggling.  I really didn't like them.  If I had a second monitor, I may have used word more--actually I would cut and past my notes to word and save them.  How did you use notes in Word?

But my use of Notes was also probably clunky.  I would make a notefile for every series of sermons I had.  If I were preaching from John 15 over a few weeks, each sermon title would be followed by how I proceeded in my study: reading notes context, grammar, commentary, ideas, application, etc. 

What I didn't do well was attach notes to the bible itself.  I really don't have a great system

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 3:59 PM

I had word set-up with a special sermon template that I created.  I took all my notes (no editing), just hit copy and pasted them into the document.  I printed it when I was done.  highlighted what I wanted to review.  I turned my highlights into an outline and went from there.  

Notes in 3.0 never let me format or print something that was comparable to word and I preferred having all my notes and outline and manuscripts in one file. 

I like the notes in 4 better, but I THINK I will still do everything in Word (or Pages) unless I see what others are doing and how it would be an improvement.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 4:01 PM

Oh, one necessary feature would be highlight and print.  Without that feature, there is no point to Logos notes for the way I prepare.

Posts 2872
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 4:28 PM

I actually use another program for notes. But you could easily do what I do in that program in Logos. The fact that they did not include notes import in this release makes me hesitant to switch.

But here is what I do.  I open the bible to my passage and when I find important information I keep it in notes. My first pass through the text is just my observations and questions. The second pass through the text is from word study and grammar.  The third pass is for commentary research. And then my final pass is illustrations and application.  When I am done I have a very complete set of notes on each verse in the passage. Sometimes enough to fill an entire printed page and others just a paragraph.

Posts 830
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 5:01 PM

I have toyed around with Notes but seeing as how an Import Utility is on the way, I will wait until then to immerse myself.  However, here is one comment related to Note files ...

The Drop Down for 'File' perplexes me a little bit in the way it behaves. On the left are listed all of the various File types ... Clippings, Handout, Notes, etc.  At first, I thought that as I caused the cursor to hover over each File type, the right hand side would display a listing for that particular type.  IOW, point at 'Notes' and view all available Notes at the right.  Furthermore, I expected that for each Note that contained multiple sub-notes, I would see a listing of those sub-notes instead of the greyed-out word, "Notes".  But this is not the way this menu behaves.  ALL files are listed simultaneously.

The problem that I foresee is that if the right pane lists ALL of my Clippings, Handouts, Notes, etc. simultaneously, then this is going to become a very large/busy Drop Down in a very short time, isn't it?

As always, Bob and crew probably have a very good reason why the drop down acts as it does ... but I am not seeing it right now.

JRS has left the building.

Posts 179
Trey Selman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 12:05 PM

Another program to use is MS Onenote.

Great program!

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 12:10 PM

Trey Selman:

Another program to use is MS Onenote.

Great program!

OneNote is great. theres several thoughts I have about notes right now. Either way you go does not guarantee you'll be able to easily use those notes in the future. If you link thinks in OneNote, how can I be sure the link format in the future will stay in contact? the side of the coin is am I guaranteed that L5 will read L4 notes correctly? There are no guarantees, but hearing that Note and hyperlink importing is coming causes me to lean towards keeping my notes in Logos.

Posts 228
Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 12:37 PM

I use Circus Ponies Notebook on my Mac. It does a really good job of being able to organize them they way I like. if you use a Mac I suggest checking it out.

Posts 2992
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 12:52 PM

Here are my primary uses for notes:

• Sermon prep: Making observations on a passage
  • Sermon prep: A place to collect the best-of my research.
  • A repository for quotes. As I read and I know that I'm going to want to use a certain quote next time I'm on a passage, I'll make a note and stick it there, so I find it. Now with Logos4 I can also tag the note so I might find it when doing a topic search
  • Journaling: A place to just write about the section of scripture I'm studying. Very free form. This is primarily devotional.
  • Sermons & lessons: My sermons and teaching transcripts are always saved as a note for future reference.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 1:06 PM

JRS:
The problem that I foresee is that if the right pane lists ALL of my Clippings, Handouts, Notes, etc. simultaneously, then this is going to become a very large/busy Drop Down in a very short time, isn't it?

If you type "clipping" in the find box you will narrow the box to just clippings. Same for anything else.

Posts 179
Trey Selman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 2:46 PM

Something to keep in mind is that the folks at Logos view notes as an resource annotation tool.

While it can be used in other ways it is important to keep in mind how they view it.

Design has been based on this function, primarily.

They have steered away from making it an internal word processing tool and have said that there are better external resources that do this.

I would love to do all my study and resource collection inside the program and I do use notes in ways other than the intended function.

I am just bringing back to remembrance what has been said from the designers about this tool, so that you can make better decisions about how you want to collect your information.

Posts 33850
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 4:25 PM

Trey Selman:
Something to keep in mind is that the folks at Logos view notes as an resource annotation tool.

This is good to know - especially since it doesn't fit with my use of notes. Actually, I do like it being a resource annotation tool and therefore linkable to any resource. But what I have used notes for most is for collecting materials to build Bible studies. The basic categories of information in my notes are:

• notes of explanation that I might wish to include in a lesson (i.e. short and pointed cpmmentary)
  • questions that I might wish to include in a lesson - categorized by the kind of question it is
  • structural and contextual information from non-Logos resources (most my resources are non-Logos)
  • intratextual/intertextual notes
  • stuff I put in notes that didn't belong there but L3 didn't offer me good alternatives
  • stuff I've forgotten what I thought I would use it for
  • stuff that I would swear wasn't mine
  • cobwebs, spiders and mouse-droppings

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:32 AM

And PS: using a 3rd party note taker like OneNote is even better with a "pin-open" app like "Deskpins"

I set the One note window size to a normal Logos window size, then pin it open..it stays on top while I cut/paste things into it.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:42 AM

Robert Pavich:
And PS: using a 3rd party note taker like OneNote is even better with a "pin-open" app like "Deskpins"

Did you create this program? You are un-relenting in advertising for it.

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:42 AM

Philip Spitzer:
Did you create this program? You are un-relenting in advertising for it.

I thought something similar.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:44 AM

Damian McGrath:
I thought something similar.

Has anyone checked where that spambot link takes you? Does it take you to the Deskpins website by chance?

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:53 AM

ROFLOL

Posts 3917
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 9 2009 5:59 AM

Robert Pavich:

I set the One note window size to a normal Logos window size, then pin it open..it stays on top while I cut/paste things into it.

i didn't know about Deskpins--is that free (i guess I could google it. . . later, as I am walking out the door. . . well in a second or two I will be)

I have OneNote and really like its versatility, but I hated toggleing.  If I can "pin" it over the L4 window, that would be great.  More great would be embedding capability of it, or Word or whatever.

Page 1 of 2 (35 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS