Textual, Scholarly Commentary Series. Please Advise

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 82
Bishop Salamat Khokhar | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 2 2011 11:23 PM

Friends,  I am planning to get series of commentary for my package.  I already have Platinum package and purchase Pulpit commentary.  But I am planning to get a set with Textual/Grammatical Analysis and Scholarly approach. However, I do not want anything with much Liberal viewpoint.  I have heard about:

• Anchor Yale Bible Commentary
  • Word Biblical Commentary
  • NICOT/NT

I would appreciate your advice and comments.   Thanks and Blessings

Bishop Salamat

Posts 1571
Forum MVP
Paul Newsome | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 12:18 AM

NICOT/NT in Logos is missing:          WBC in Logos is missing:
- Exodus                                                  - Joel
- Judges                                                  - Amos
- 2 Samuel                                              - Obadiah
- 1 Kings                                                  - Nahum
- 2 Kings                                                  - Habakkuk
- 1 Chronicles                                        - Zephaniah
- 2 Chronicles                                        - Haggai
- Esther                                                    - Zechariah
- Psalms                                                  - Acts
- Lamentations                                       - 1 Corinthians
- Daniel
- Hosea
- Amos
- Zechariah
- 2 Peter
- Jude

Eventually you'll have to get both the WBC and the NICOT/NICNT Wink and as you can see between the two only two books of the Bible are not covered.  With the sales going on it would be the equivalent to buying the Anchor Series.  If I had to choose one right now I would pick the NICOT/NT because of the extremely good sale price Logos is running until September 12th.

If you are familiar with www.bestcommentaries.com and their theological bias (conservative), in this post I've compiled the frequency by series of the top two rated commentaries per book of the Bible.  (Brother Mark has done some interesting analysis above my post as well).  Both of us have found the NICOT/NT to be slightly more popular amongst commentary readers than the WBC as well as with the selected scholars the website author used to compile his data.

Hope you're digging into one, or the other, or both soon!

Posts 12376
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 12:25 AM

You should add Hermeneia to your list - a very solid piece of Lutheran scholarship. When it comes to textual and grammatical analysis with solid scholarly analysis, the Lutherans usually win.Smile

Logos4catholics Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 82
Bishop Salamat Khokhar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 12:33 AM

Thanks Sir, I shall look into it.  

Posts 1571
Forum MVP
Paul Newsome | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 12:33 AM

MJ. Smith:

You should add Hermeneia to your list - a very solid piece of Lutheran scholarship. When it comes to textual and grammatical analysis with solid scholarly analysis, the Lutherans usually win.Smile

I was skeptical of Hermeneia until I bought the OT portion of the series (imagine that!).  While working in Jeremiah, it offered some amazingly profound thoughts I had not read from any of the other commentaries I was using (after a while they can all start to sound the same).  I find Hermeneia (OT) to be a great compliment to the NICOT and WBC 

Posts 82
Bishop Salamat Khokhar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 12:36 AM

Mr. Paul, if I have to make a choice between NICOT/NT and Anchor Series, which one should I choose?  

Thanks again.  

Posts 2197
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 1:11 AM

Bishop Salamat Khokhar:
However, I do not want anything with much Liberal viewpoint.

Bishop Salamat Khokhar:
if I have to make a choice between NICOT/NT and Anchor Series, which one should I choose?  

NICOT/NT - It is currently on sale and more conservative than Yale.

Posts 1571
Forum MVP
Paul Newsome | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 5:34 AM

Ted Hans:

I'll agree with Ted on this one.

Posts 8532
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 7:57 AM

Ted Hans:

Bishop Salamat Khokhar:
However, I do not want anything with much Liberal viewpoint.

Bishop Salamat Khokhar:
if I have to make a choice between NICOT/NT and Anchor Series, which one should I choose?  

ICC or Anchor will prove better than NICOT/NICNT, but you said you didn't want anything from a more liberal viewpoint.  I'm afraid that if it isn't from a more liberal viewpoint then it probably isn't very scholarly.  The FOTL series is good as well though it takes a rather different approach to the texts being a form-critical viewpoint rather than literary-critical (highly recommended).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 82
Bishop Salamat Khokhar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 8:19 AM

Thanks Mr. George.  I appreciate.  Since, it is expensive purchase, I did not want to get it without consulting with other brothers and sisters.  Thanks again.  By the way, I am non-denomination minister from Pakistan and at present I am in USA.

Bishop

Posts 82
Bishop Salamat Khokhar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 8:20 AM

Does NICOT/NT discuss the grammar part too?

Posts 50
JAIN THOMAS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 8:48 AM

If you are more concerned about grammatical and scholarly explanation and an impartial perspective, I would definitly suggest ICC and Anchor. If your fund is minimal, I would say go for the NICOT/NT which is on sale right now.

Posts 4600
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 8:50 AM

Bishop Salamat Khokhar:

Does NICOT/NT discuss the grammar part too?

I think: yes. I only have the paper copy of Moo on Romans to prove: I just arbitrarily opened it up to a random page - turned out to be p 494 on Romans 8:13 (yes, the tome comes to over 1000 pages)

Moo, NICNT Romans:

"Paul abandons the syntactical structure he had used in v. 12 * in order to warn his readers (note the shift to second plural "you") that if they continue to live ** by the dictates of the flesh....."

* is footnote 117 (for this pericope, starting at 8:1) "the placement of ou after the verb in v 12 shows...."

** is footnote 118: "zete is a durative present."

I tried an off-the-hand transliteration of the originally greek words in italics

running Logos 5.2a (Classic MCs, Verbum Master+) on Acer Extensa 5230E - now modified with 4GB RAM & 250GB SSD - with Win7 Home Premium 32bit & some Android apps on Kindle Fire

Posts 716
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 10:04 AM

Paul,

I have not checked your list of unavailable commentaries in NIC, WBC but I am preaching through Joel right now and WBC does contain a volume on Joel.

Posts 297
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 10:29 AM

If you are a pastor and will be using the commentary series to prepare sermons, NICOT/NT will be much more helpful to you. I've used all the commentaries you mentioned extensively, and I am absolutely certain that NICOT/NT is better for a pastor.

I would agree with George, if the question was about which one I would find most useful. 

Posts 1535
Forum MVP
Andy Evans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 10:38 AM

Bishop Salamat Khokhar:

Friends,  I am planning to get series of commentary for my package.  I already have Platinum package and purchase Pulpit commentary.  But I am planning to get a set with Textual/Grammatical Analysis and Scholarly approach. However, I do not want anything with much Liberal viewpoint.  I have heard about:

• NICOT/NT

Bishop Salamat

I have just consulted D.A. Carson's New Testament Commentary Survey (available, here, in Logos format). Although he only surveys NT commentaries, I thought you might find his observations helpful,

Carson comments on AYB (NT),

The Anchor Bible (/Doubleday) is a decidedly mixed series. It is ecumenical, moderately critical, and designed to extend through both Testaments, including the Apocrypha. Each volume offers introduction, a new translation, linguistic and exegetical notes, and sometimes a more detailed exposition. But the length and complexity of the treatment vary enormously: e.g., Brown on John and on the Johannine Epistles is immensely detailed, while Albright and Mann on Matthew have produced a volume with a lengthy introduction and almost no exegesis. (p. 21)

On NICNT,

The New International Commentary on the New Testament (/Eerdmans; sometimes referred to in the UK as the New London Commentary, MMS/) is a still-incomplete series of commentaries that adopts conservative critical views and is concerned to offer an exegesis of the Scriptures themselves. The text of these commentaries demands no special knowledge; the footnotes presuppose some knowledge of Greek and (occasionally) Hebrew and Latin. With the death of F. F. Bruce, its editor for many years, editorial direction passed to Gordon D. Fee, who has commissioned writers not only to complete the series but to prepare new volumes to replace some of the older entries (e.g., Moo on Romans, replacing Murray). (p. 26)

And, on WBC (NT),

The Word Biblical Commentary is a full-scale series that aims to cover every book in the Bible. The series offers fresh translation, an original (and annoyingly repetitive) format, thoughtful interaction with the literature, and a commitment to handle both exegetical and literary/critical concerns. A few of the volumes that have appeared are already standard reference works. Do not let the “evangelical” label fool you: although some of the contributors sit comfortably within that tradition, in other cases the label applies only by the most generous extension. (p. 29)

Andy

Windows 7 Premium 64-bit, ASUS P6T, i7-960 3.20 GHz, 6 GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz, 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX285

13" MBA (2011), i5 1.7GHz, 256SSD, 4GB

Posts 1571
Forum MVP
Paul Newsome | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 10:41 AM

Alan Charles Gielczyk:
WBC does contain a volume on Joel.

Great catch Alan!  Let me ammend that list.

NICOT/NT in Logos is missing:          WBC in Logos is missing:
- Exodus
- Judges
- 2 Samuel
- 1 Kings                                                  - Nahum
- 2 Kings                                                  - Habakkuk
- 1 Chronicles                                        - Zephaniah
- 2 Chronicles                                        - Haggai
- Esther                                                    - Zechariah
- Psalms                                                  - Acts
- Lamentations                                       - 1 Corinthians
- Daniel
- Hosea
- Amos
Zechariah
- 2 Peter
- Jude

Make that Zechariah as the only uncovered by both the NICOT/NT and WBC

Posts 1600
Forum MVP
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 11:32 AM

George Somsel:
I'm afraid that if it isn't from a more liberal viewpoint then it probably isn't very scholarly.

"As the man with the wooden leg said, 'It's a matter a pinion!'" Wink

Pillar, WBC, NIGTC may be more conservative, but they are by respected biblical scholars.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac 21.5" • 3.06 GHz • 12GB RAM • Mavericks 10.9.2 • 1 TB HDD

MacBook Air 13.3" • 1.8 GHz • 4 GB RAM • Mavericks 10.9.2 • 256 GB SSD

iPad 64GB WiFi

iPhone 5s 32 GB

Posts 603
DBailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 12:03 PM

Alan Macgregor:

George Somsel:
I'm afraid that if it isn't from a more liberal viewpoint then it probably isn't very scholarly.

"As the man with the wooden leg said, 'It's a matter a pinion!'" Wink

Pillar, WBC, NIGTC may be more conservative, but they are by respected biblical scholars.

Every blessing

Alan

Yes

I would also add NICOT/NICNT.

Posts 2891
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2011 2:32 PM

Bishop Salamat Khokhar:

• NICOT/NT

Bishop Salamat

I personally started with the Original Language package, and then just created a library that I would use by purchasing just the books that I would use.  This has saved me $,$$$.$$.

I will also add that WBC goes on sale very often.

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS