Logos crashing when trying to build Personal Book

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 34
Darren Huckey | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 11 2011 12:09 AM

712526.Archive.zip

Posts 34
Darren Huckey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 11 2011 12:18 AM

fyi… here's the .docx that I was trying to import.

1031.01 B'reisheet.docx.zip

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 11 2011 4:17 PM

Darren Huckey:

Logos4.log file (4.3 SR-2) has: "System.Xml.XmlException: 'r' is undeclared namespace.  Line 2, position 3886." while processing LDLS4.Panels.PersonalBookBuilderPanel.OfficeOpen.Converter.ConvertToLogosXml.ConvertNotesPart 

Darren Huckey:

fyi… here's the .docx that I was trying to import.

1031.01 B'reisheet.docx.zip

Using Word 2010 (in Windows 7) to open docx file has similar error for line 2:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 11 2011 5:08 PM

Darren - 

I received the same warning when trying to open the .docx file. After saving a copy, however, I was able to build the book:

Here is my copy of your file: 3441.B’reisheet.docx

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 34
Darren Huckey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 11 2011 7:50 PM

Thanks! I think I realize what's going on now. I'm using NeoOffice, and it's not formatting my .docx file properly. Your version worked just fine. Mine still crashes. Thanks for your help!

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 11 2011 9:22 PM

Darren Huckey:
Thanks! I think I realize what's going on now. I'm using NeoOffice, and it's not formatting my .docx file properly.

Are you sure its NeoOffice? Have you tried another document? Try creating one with just a few words in it. I don't use that software, so I can't be sure one way or the other.

Posts 34
Darren Huckey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 2:14 AM

Yes, I'm sure. I tried creating a doc with 1 heading & a paragraph & it did the same thing.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 4:43 AM

My advice after fighting with NeoOffice for some weeks is: switch to LibreOffice. It's basically the same program, but with fewer bugs and far better documentation.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2011 5:21 AM

Thanks for the advice fgh Smile

Posts 34
Darren Huckey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 8:05 AM

Ok - I've discovered that the Personal Book Builder is pretty much worthless for me. Here's my dilemma: 

• Almost everything I do in relationship to a personal book has inline Hebrew
  • I can't use MS Word, because it doesn't fully support Hebrew & RTL text
  • I have to use something like NeoOffice or LIbreOffice (as suggested)
  • When I export to a .docx from either of these apps I get a corrupt file that causes Logos to crash (I even paid for the latest version of NeoOffice thinking it would fix this problem)

So… Unless someone has a suggestion, I don't have any way to utilize the Personal Book Builder.

I've attached another sample .docx file as an example of a typical document I would like to add as a Personal Book.

3566.Elul - The King Is In The Field.docx

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:06 AM

Darren Huckey:

So… Unless someone has a suggestion, I don't have any way to utilize the Personal Book Builder.

I've attached another sample .docx file as an example of a typical document I would like to add as a Personal Book.

Well, that certainly crashed Logos for me too. And trying a few things in LibreOffice kept crashing it. However, see if this doesn't work:

1. Open the .docx file in TextEdit, save as .rtf and close again.
  2. Open the new .rtf file in LibreOffice and save as .docx.
  3. Try to compile as a PB.

That worked for me. The downside is that all the heading styles, and some paragraph breaks, disappear, so you'll then have to redo them, but that seemed to work too.

How was this document done? Was it created as .docx and worked upon as .docx? What I do is that I always work in LibreOffice's native .odt format, and only save in .docx just before I compile. If I need to do more work, I go back to the .odt and do it there. If I copy and paste from the internet, or download something that needs to be worked on, I start by resaving as .docx and trying to compile it, so that if it crashes or won't compile or looks really odd and I have to clean the code through .rtf conversion, I can do it directly, and not after I've already wasted time on formatting it. Plus, if I work on something bigger than an article, I always duplicate and rename, and usually try to compile, the file after each major step in the process, so that I don't have to start all over from the beginning if something goes wrong. I learnt from experience that that's not fun at all...

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:23 AM

Darren - 

I tried to compile the book, and it crashed too. When I opened the .docx file in word, it said "cannot fire event" or something dumb like that. I saved the .docx file with a different name and viola! it compiled. I will include the new .docx file for you below. NOTE: The logos servers will add numbers to the file name, but I don't think it should give you a problem.

2671.Elul.docx

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:24 AM

Posts 34
Darren Huckey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:32 AM

fgh - I appreciate your suggestions. However, converting via TextEdit will destroy my doc (page numbering, footnotes, etc.) like you mentioned, but there is no way to fix those once they are broken.

Also - this doc was created in NeoOffice, so I'm not sure what's going on. But right now, I don't have a viable solution.

------------

alabama24 - I appreciate it. However, I should have to send you my files to convert for me every time I need to build (or recompile) a Personal Book.

Still not sure what to do at this point.

Posts 34
Darren Huckey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:32 AM

sorry, should be "I SHOULDN'T have to…"

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:51 AM

Darren Huckey:

alabama24 - I appreciate it. However, I should have to send you my files to convert for me every time I need to build (or recompile) a Personal Book.

Still not sure what to do at this point.

Have you just tried renaming the .docx file in LibreOffice? When I opened your document in word, it also gave me a warning about the file name. Like I said earlier, I did not do anything to your document other than change the name and then save it.

Posts 34
Darren Huckey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 11:56 AM

When I try to resave in LibreOffice, it crashes (on save) and does not produce a file.

Posts 28230
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 1:04 PM

Sorry! I am glad that I have Word! Thankfully I was able to buy it with an educational discount. I only used it to "finalize" the formatting on my papers in Seminary. Now, I only use it to work with PBB. It would be great if Apple created a new version of pages which saved files in a .docx format.

Posts 34
Darren Huckey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 1:12 PM

It would be wonderful if Pages could deal with Hebrew & RTL text. If you have any RTL inline text at all, your whole paragraph explodes. :-(

Posts 34
Darren Huckey | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2011 1:17 PM

It's actually pretty ridiculous. I have 5 (yes, FIVE) Word Processor applications on my Mac and they all fail miserably in one area or another. 

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS