Eerdmans Dictionary of the Bible - No illustrations or maps?

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 5 2009 9:59 PM

Yes this is not a Logos 4 related post--except that I just got this resource as part of my upgrade.

What's the reason for omitting all the illustrations, photos and maps from this resource?  Is it a rights issue?  Seems like it's lacking a little without the visuals, especially when compared with similar books.  Can we expect it to be updated in the future?

(BTW, I find it amazing how much of the EDB is available for reading in Google books.)

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:13 PM

In most books, it is a copyright issue where Logos is not given permission to put these images in electronic versions.  They are trying to solve this by creating Info graphics and other resources in L4.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:15 PM

Joe Miller:

In most books, it is a copyright issue where Logos is not given permission to put these images in electronic versions.  They are trying to solve this by creating Info graphics and other resources in L4.

Has it happened often in the past?  It's unfortunate for a reference of this type.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:16 PM

Todd Phillips:

Joe Miller:

Has it happened often in the past?  It's unfortunate for a reference of this type.

Yes - Christian History Magazine where the illustrations/timelines are integral to many articles (imho).

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:18 PM

Damian McGrath:
Yes - Christian History Magazine where the illustrations/timelines are integral to many articles (imho).

Okay I knew about that one.  However I can see rights issues being more of a problem for a periodical.

Plus I find it funny that I can view the photos and illustrations on Google books (though not the maps which show a copyright of MapQuest in front matter).

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:23 PM

Todd Phillips:

Damian McGrath:

Okay I knew about that one.  However I can see rights issues being more of a problem for a periodical.

Actually it's a problem for any publication which does not purchase the rights to reproduce such images in formats other than the original publication.

But, as to your initial inquiry - this is all a guessing game. Only Logos knows what if any issues there were with this resource

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:25 PM

Damian McGrath:

But, as to your initial inquiry - this is all a guessing game. Only Logos knows what if any issues there were with this resource

The original post was intended for Logos anyway.

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 5 2009 10:55 PM

Hi Todd, copyrights on images is a tough thing.  I am doing my Doctoral studies and I can't even use in image as reference unless I get permission not from the publisher, but from the person who created the image in the book I am referencing.    

I can guarantee you that copyright restrictions is why this is not in the Logos book.  If I am wrong, I will eat my hat (as the saying goes).

PS

This has been answered by Bob P. in other threads on this forum, so that is why I am confident this is the reason.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS