Mind Mapping Software

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 2
Adam Cooper | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 9 2012 8:54 AM

There's one program I've come across not mentioned on this thread which supports non-linear presentation of a mind map: NovaMind Presenter, which is part of the top-tier NovaMind Platinum package ($250).

http://www.novamind.com/products/novamind/presenter

However, while it does allow you to present from your mind map, I'm not sure it meets your criteria of "a good job at presentations." If all you want is to show the mind map itself, it gets the job done. But if you're looking for something that hides the mind map structure from the audience and simply displays a traditional Powerpoint-like slide view while giving you the ability to navigate your slide deck via the mind map, it's not that advanced. And I haven't been able to find anything yet that can do that.

I'm joining this discussion late. Have you found a solution that you like?

Posts 1
Angel.Pamela | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 1:15 AM

i use this softwere. its realy great it actuely reduce my time to fineshed my task.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 25 2013 2:13 AM

I fell in love with thebrain mind mapping. I can't wait till the day I can afford it. I during the trial periods I had created a Brain Ethan included every verse in the bible individually. I then connected articles in logos that dealt with a particular passage To the verse. These articles were hyperlinked to logos, and you could creat hyperlinks in logos to TheBrain. By the time my trial expired my brain contained more then 150,000 connections. I had mapped all journal articles that discussed a passage, along with non-commentary resources, for 6 or 7 Bible books. If i remember correctly i had had it so that you could view all the articles by a particular person as well. I have not found another product that works the way TheBrain does. 

Posts 28997
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 28 2013 1:58 AM

Halo - it requires more computer expertise but you can do that in Gephi which is free ... or with a bit more effort in cMap Tools (also free) ... these are both research tools rather than commercial user oriented.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 28 2013 2:40 AM

MJ. Smith:

Halo - it requires more computer expertise but you can do that in Gephi which is free ... or with a bit more effort in cMap Tools (also free) ... these are both research tools rather than commercial user oriented.

thanks for pointing these out. When I get a chance ill take a look at them. I have never heard of them before.

Posts 1
Rajesh K. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 1 2016 6:44 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a tool for my Bible study as well as for my work related study (like for learning concepts, design models, etc)

Was thinking of going with XMind but thought of confirming this. Also noticed something called concept mapping, not sure if its any good for Bible study.

Grateful for any guidance.

Regards

Posts 3376
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 2 2016 6:34 AM

Welcome to the Forums!

I use two:

MindGenius

Inspiration

Both come with a 30 day free trial.

Inspiration is more for the class room

MindGenius is more for business applications.

mm.

Rajesh K.:

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for a tool for my Bible study as well as for my work related study (like for learning concepts, design models, etc)

Was thinking of going with XMind but thought of confirming this. Also noticed something called concept mapping, not sure if its any good for Bible study.

Grateful for any guidance.

Regards

mm.

Posts 18
PeteDaCatholic | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 9:15 AM

Wow, that was quite an undertaking. Yes,The Brain is a little pricey I hope you have had the chance to actually purchase it. I'm quite impressed that you separated every verse in the Bible and I am curious, how did you do this?

Posts 621
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 9:52 AM

I use mindjet. Well, I use it for work but it has some really great features that work well in Logos. I can hyperlink into books from the mindmap which I find very useful :-) It is expensive though. 

Posts 764
David A Egolf | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 3:00 PM

Adam Cooper:
But if you're looking for something that hides the mind map structure from the audience and simply displays a traditional Powerpoint-like slide view while giving you the ability to navigate your slide deck via the mind map, it's not that advanced.

I used FreeMind for years for preparing presentations.  It was pretty much tree-structured. 

As I was teaching a class on church history, I was covering the subject of Puritan preachers.  They would preach for very long sessions with very complicated outlines.  They might be three levels deep into their outline, pop up one level, then continue down another "branch" for another 15 minutes.  Audiences today would have a hard time following along.

It occurred to me that by projecting the mindmap,I could project my outline and my audience would be able to follow my train of thought.  They could visibly see the relationship between sub-points.

From that lecture forward, I quit using PowerPoint and started to project my mind maps. Nobody has ever complained.

It helped that FreeMind allowed me to embed pictures in nodes and put in web links to be followed.

Unfortunately, the last time I checked, FreeMind developed a dependency on a level of Java which cannot be put on commercial laptops without paying license fees.  I haven't upgraded my copy in a long time.

Posts 21
Clinton Branscombe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 14 2020 6:07 PM

Try Freeplane.  It is a fork of FreeMind that updates regularly.  (Last update was Feb 8, 2020.)  Are for Java, the Oracle version is free for non-commercial use.  If you which to try a alternative, try these.

CAB

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS