In Remembrance of Me: A Manual on Observing the Lord’s Supper

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1513
Josh | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 19 2011 12:10 AM

Does anyone own this resource? I am interested in knowing what view Jim Henry supports. It seems from the title he probably supports the memorial view.

Anyone have any other suggestions for resources on the Lord's Supper?

Posts 18876
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2011 12:48 AM

Yes, I have it. This book is more of a guide book ("manual") for how to do the institution of the Lord's Supper in a church service, rather than a theological explanation of what it means or why we do it. There It covers the practical details: preparation of the elements, the presentation, some sample liturgies and recommended hymns to accompany the celebration, questions such as who is eligible, etc.

That said, he does give a very brief explanation of the foundation for this observance in Chapter 1. He does alight on both the historical and eschatological significance, as well as mentioning the Augustinian sacramental view ever so briefly (one paragraph). There is also one chapter with a bunch of suggestions for sermon outlines, submitted by various pastors. Most of these are from Baptist churches, with a couple from United Methodist, and one from a nondescript Christian church.

Logos resources I'd recommend:

• The Lord's Supper: Five Views by Gordon Smith (I had him for a professor, and he's a very good writer: balanced, thoughtful, and clear)
  • Understanding Four Views on the Lord's Supper by Russell D. Moore, et al. - unfortunately not yet available as stand-alone, only as part of the Zondervan Counterpoints Collection

Posts 29136
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 19 2011 12:52 AM

Joshua Garcia:
Anyone have any other suggestions for resources on the Lord's Supper?

The Lord's Supper: Five Views by Smith, Gordon if you're looking for a theological overview.

Marco Foti gave us a reading list on Eucharist

In Patristics you can find a number of chapters on the subject if you search on Eucharist.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS