Iliad in Greek

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 3 2011 10:42 AM

Does anyone see a Greek Iliad in their Perseus stuff? There is one on the Perseus website, but I don't see it in the files I have downloaded. They are indexing right now, so maybe that is the problem?

Posts 433
Vincent Setterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 11:02 AM

There are some books on the Perseus website that were not released under the Creative Commons license, so those are not in the Logos package. The Iliad in Greek is one of those. However, we do have an edition of the Iliad in Greek with morphological tagging here: http://www.logos.com/product/3321/the-iliad-in-greek-and-translation

Posts 1949
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 11:04 AM

Brian Davidson:

Does anyone see a Greek Iliad in their Perseus stuff? There is one on the Perseus website, but I don't see it in the files I have downloaded. They are indexing right now, so maybe that is the problem?

All I see if the Iliad in English in the Perseus collection.  I am still indexing as well.

Posts 1949
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 11:08 AM

Vincent Setterholm:

There are some books on the Perseus website that were not released under the Creative Commons license, so those are not in the Logos package. The Iliad in Greek is one of those. However, we do have an edition of the Iliad in Greek with morphological tagging here: http://www.logos.com/product/3321/the-iliad-in-greek-and-translation

Thanks, this is good to know.

Posts 493
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2011 11:12 AM

Thanks, guys.

Posts 3
Martha Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 9:00 AM

I'm confused, because the Perseus Project website lists the Greek Iliad as being available under the Creative Commons license: "This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License. An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system."

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3atext%3a1999.01.0133

Will Logos be offering the Iliad as part of the Perseus collection in the future?

Posts 291
Hapax Legomena | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 9:04 AM

Logos' release of the free Perseus collection does not include those items, such as the Iliad, which Logos sells separately.

Posts 28309
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 9:20 AM

Martha - First, welcome to the forums!

Martha Thompson:
Will Logos be offering the Iliad as part of the Perseus collection in the future?

It is unlikely. However, you could always build a personal book version of it for yourself using the personal book builder.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 9:25 PM

Martha Thompson:

I'm confused, because the Perseus Project website lists the Greek Iliad as being available under the Creative Commons license: "This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 United States License. An XML version of this text is available for download, with the additional restriction that you offer Perseus any modifications you make. Perseus provides credit for all accepted changes, storing new additions in a versioning system."

http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3atext%3a1999.01.0133

Peace, Martha!                   *smile*                                                Welcome indeed to the Logos Forums!                   Feel very free to chat with us at any time!

I own the Logos' Version of the Iliad; and have been truly pleased with it since it came out on pre-pub               --           While you could make for yourself a PB of the Iliad - I would think that for the price, it would be somewhat of a wasted effort.  The Logos Version is well-tagged and in my Logos 4 Library shows up in English, Greek, German, Spanish and French translations.

http://www.logos.com/product/3321/the-iliad-in-greek-and-translation

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 3
Martha Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 9:28 PM

OK, thanks for the information.

Posts 3
Martha Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 21 2012 11:31 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2012 7:11 PM

I am confused about why a Greek-only Iliad isn't offered as part of the Perseus Collection?  Seems odd to leave that one work out, given the otherwise extensive (not quite strong enough a word..lol) offerings with the Perseus Collection. 

If Logos were to offer it, I'd gladly purchase it separately.

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Posts 28309
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2012 7:55 PM

Mr. Micawber:

The point of the post a few above yours is that they indeed do have it for sale: http://www.logos.com/product/3321/the-iliad-in-greek-and-translation

Posts 1058
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 2 2012 8:58 PM

Hapax Legomena:

Logos' release of the free Perseus collection does not include those items, such as the Iliad, which Logos sells separately.

If that's the case then Vincent shouldn't be giving the excuse that it's not available under the CC license. Obviously  they don't want complaints from those who previously bought the Logos edition as I did (which is arguably better as well) but to say you have to spend $30 on it when it's available for free in Perseus is rather hard to swallow.

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 3 2012 1:57 AM

alabama24:

Mr. Micawber:

The point of the post a few above yours is that they indeed do have it for sale: http://www.logos.com/product/3321/the-iliad-in-greek-and-translation

Unless I missed it, that package doesn't have a Greek Iliad; what it does have is Jackson's Interlinear Iliad.  Perseus (Tufts/Chicago) has a straight Greek Iliad text - just seems strange that the Iliad isn't included in the Perseus Collection.  

“To love means loving the unlovable.  To forgive means pardoning the unpardonable.  Faith means believing the unbelievable.  Hope means hoping when everything seems hopeless.” ~Chesterton

Posts 28309
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 3 2012 5:45 AM

Mr. Micawber:
Unless I missed it, that package doesn't have a Greek Iliad; what it does have is Jackson's Interlinear Iliad.

You've missed it. The title is "The Illiad IN GREEK and translation." Who is Jackson anyway and how'd he get brought into this? Here is a screen shot of search results from the resource. Unfortunately there isn't a straight screenshot of just the text.

Since you are new to the forums, are you new to Logos as well? This is a tagged resource. 

Mr. Micawber:
Perseus (Tufts/Chicago) has a straight Greek Iliad text - just seems strange that the Iliad isn't included in the Perseus Collection.  

Logos doesn't carry two of the same resource. You can always create a personal book for free if you want.

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 3 2012 6:00 AM

alabama24:

Mr. Micawber:
Unless I missed it, that package doesn't have a Greek Iliad; what it does have is Jackson's Interlinear Iliad.

You've missed it. The title is "The Illiad IN GREEK and translation." Who is Jackson anyway and how'd he get brought into this? Here is a screen shot of search results from the resource. Unfortunately there isn't a straight screenshot of just the text.

Since you are new to the forums, are you new to Logos as well? This is a tagged resource. 

Mr. Micawber:
Perseus (Tufts/Chicago) has a straight Greek Iliad text - just seems strange that the Iliad isn't included in the Perseus Collection.  

Logos doesn't carry two of the same resource. You can always create a personal book for free if you want.

No it does NOT contain a Greek Iliad - I own that package and purchased it specifically for the Greek Iliad it allegedly has.  A search only pulls up the Jackson Text.  Again, maybe I missed it.

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 3 2012 6:02 AM

John Jackson did an intelinear Iliad a few years back with every word parsed, etc.

Posts 28309
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 3 2012 6:21 AM

Mr. Micawber:

John Jackson did an intelinear Iliad a few years back with every word parsed, etc.

This is not that. If you notice, the "author" listed is Homer. If it were that edition, it would say "Jackson."

Posts 466
Butters | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 3 2012 6:31 AM

alabama24:

Mr. Micawber:

This is not that. If you notice, the "author" listed is Homer. If it were that edition, it would say "Jackson."

The only "Iliad in Greek" I see is edited by Jackson.  

I'll attach a screenshot.  

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS