Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 25 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1094
Milkman | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 6 2009 11:18 AM

is there any way to drag and drop numerous books or journals at one time when I'm building a new collection? For example, the Westminster Theo. journal has a fair amount of journals and to drag and drop one at a time takes quite a while. 

thanks, all dragged out.

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 11:54 AM

GarryEPeters:

is there any way to drag and drop numerous books or journals at one time when I'm building a new collection? For example, the Westminster Theo. journal has a fair amount of journals and to drag and drop one at a time takes quite a while. 

thanks, all dragged out.

You should be able to put something like "subject:periodicals OR type:journal OR type:magazine" and it should find them all without manually having to drag and drop each individual resource.

Let me know if that's not what you're asking or doesn't help.

Posts 98
Larry L. Dix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 11:57 AM

Once you do as you suggested (type: journal) what do you do next? Just close the panel or is there another step to preform?

Posts 3775
Forum MVP
Halo Hound | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:01 PM

GarryEPeters:

thanks, all dragged out.

type title:"westminster th" in the "rule" box. that should just about do it if that is the only journal you want. If you want all your journals type "type:journal". If you want 1) a collection for each journal. 2) a collection of all your journals" and 3)a collection of your favorite journals then created one for each of your journals using the first step above. then create all your journals using the type:journal. then create three by making a new collection, naming it favorite journals, and then clicking open and dragging the individual collection of your favorite journals into the (+ these resources) box. Then you can see at a glance you journal series rather then having to look at one long list of journals. Let me know how that works for you.

Posts 3775
Forum MVP
Halo Hound | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:02 PM

LarryLDix:

Once you do as you suggested (type: journal) what do you do next? Just close the panel or is there another step to preform?

typing type:journal into the rule box is all you have to do to make a collection of every journal that is marked with the type of journal. You can close it down. No dragging needed.

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:06 PM

LarryLDix:

What Philip said, plus check out this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK1X2s-yeD0

Posts 1094
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:33 PM

I'm trying to build another collection. this time "Theology" However, when I type in the word 'introduction' in the the "start with" box, it gives me commentaries, the armarna letters, bibles, morphology items, etc. so, 1) how do I add only my theological books and not the others? 2.) how do I add my other systematics into this collection once I've sifted out my first search?

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:38 PM

GarryEPeters:

I'm trying to build another collection. this time "Theology" However, when I type in the word 'introduction' in the the "start with" box, it gives me commentaries, the armarna letters, bibles, morphology items, etc. so, 1) how do I add only my theological books and not the others? 2.) how do I add my other systematics into this collection once I've sifted out my first search?

Use the keywords here to filter that list down: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/3913/30189.aspx#30189

Did you watch the video I linked?

Posts 3775
Forum MVP
Halo Hound | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:40 PM

Here is what my theology collection looks like. I'm including resources to give you an idea of the results.

Posts 1094
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:43 PM

yep I think this will help. thanks.

Posts 1094
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:53 PM

Hi Daniel, I didn't get the link

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:57 PM

GarryEPeters:

Hi Daniel, I didn't get the link

Look a few posts up - it's a Youtube video.  You can also find it by going to the Logos website, then Training, then look for Tutorial Videos.  This one is titled "Dynamic, Rule-Based Collections."

Posts 1094
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 1:05 PM

Eureka!! Big help watching it. thanks a bunch.

Posts 274
Daniel Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 1:09 PM

GarryEPeters:

Eureka!! Big help watching it. thanks a bunch.

No problem.  I'd watch the rest too - I've learned a ton about the program from those short videos - a few at a time on lunch break or before I go to sleep.  Big Smile

Posts 8378
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 1:31 PM

Philip Spitzer:
Here is what my theology collection looks like. I'm including resources to give you an idea of the results.

Phillip

I tried to follow the video and the example you posted without any success. When I type "Title: Theology", I get 3 resources "The Book of Job" (from NICOT), "Evangelical Review of Theology Index", and "Mastering Pastoral Care".  If I try "Type: Theology" as in the video, I get 2 resources "Ashamed of the Gospel" and "The Star Book for Ministers"

Typing "Theology" in the Library window gives me an extremely long list containing a variety of resources, mostly commentaries.

Any ideas as to how I can resolve this?

Jack

Posts 3775
Forum MVP
Halo Hound | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 1:32 PM

JackCaviness:
When I type "Title: Theology"

Lose the space between the colon and "Theology"

Posts 8378
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:45 PM

Philip Spitzer:

JackCaviness:
When I type "Title: Theology"

Lose the space between the colon and "Theology"

Thanks Phillip

Now, how do I eliminate "Evangelical Review of Theology". I can use ANDNOT Title:Evangelical or  ANDNOT Title:Review. However, it does not seem to work if I use  ANDNOT Title:Evangelical Review.

I truly appreciate the efforts of all you Beta Testers and your willingness to share your insights.

Jack

Posts 1965
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 5:50 PM

JackCaviness:

Now, how do I eliminate "Evangelical Review of Theology". I can use ANDNOT Title:Evangelical or  ANDNOT Title:Review. However, it does not seem to work if I use  ANDNOT Title:Evangelical Review.

I truly appreciate the efforts of all you Beta Testers and your willingness to share your insights.

Inverted Commas as they say in the English speaking world or Quotation Marks as they say in America :)

ANDNOT title:"evangelical review"   

-title:"evangelical review"

Posts 8378
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 7:15 PM

Damian McGrath:

Inverted Commas as they say in the English speaking world or Quotation Marks as they say in America :)

ANDNOT title:"evangelical review"   

-title:"evangelical review"

Thank you, Damian. I figured that out shortly after posting this question. 

Posts 148
Valerie Pobog | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Dec 17 2009 12:55 PM

I have watched Marks videos on collections and notice that he uses parenthesis. Where and why are these used. I don't believe he really explains that .

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 (26 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS