Using Pub Date in a Rule for Collections

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2971
Doc B | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:38 AM

I'm trying to create a collection I'm calling, "Contemporary Issues".  I want to include books (monographs, I suppose), journal articles, and whatever else might apply that has been published since 1990 (date is my own...YMMV).

Can Publication Date be used in a rule?  I'm having trouble with the syntax.

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 2736
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:40 AM

not sure but, could you not use the tag field, have heard others use it to build specific subsets

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 2971
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:51 AM

It would take too long to tag each individual book, plus I want the collect to be, 'dynamic'. 

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Posts 2971
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2011 9:52 AM

I may have found one answer...'pubdate' is the correct syntax for the rule...I finally found it in the wiki.

However, the plethora of subjects and the lack of factory added tags is making this process cumbersome.  Still working...

Posts 9395
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2011 10:00 AM

Here is the syntax:

pubdate:=>1970

The problem is that publication date is not the same as the date a resource was originally produced. For example the syntax above will get all of Bunyan's works none of which are contemporary. People have asked for the original publication date to be included in the Logos metadata for each resource, but I have real doubts we'll ever see that.

You could sort by publication date then tag the ones you known were genuinely produced in the time frame you want, then create a collection based on that tag.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 67
Scott Groethe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 6 2014 6:36 PM

I was hoping to find some way to search based on "last update," since when you upgrade a base package there are just too many to keep track of and too time consuming to tag them individually. Can it be done?

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 6 2014 7:47 PM

Scott Groethe:

I was hoping to find some way to search based on "last update," since when you upgrade a base package there are just too many to keep track of and too time consuming to tag them individually. Can it be done?

When I get a new package/upgrade I open the Library in a floating window, make sure it is sorted by "Last Update" then tag the new arrivals belonging to that package with the package name. Tag them all together at the same time (click the bottom one and shift-click the top one and all are selected).

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 6 2014 8:43 PM

Robert Harner:
When I get a new package/upgrade I open the Library in a floating window, make sure it is sorted by "Last Update" then tag the new arrivals belonging to that package with the package name. Tag them all together at the same time (click the bottom one and shift-click the top one and all are selected).

Personally tag purchases with YYYYMM for Year and Month.

Also use myrating:0 to find new library additions.  After reviewing collections for each resource, change rating to 2 stars.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 7 2014 4:04 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Robert Harner:

Personally tag purchases with YYYYMM for Year and Month.

Also use myrating:0 to find new library additions.  After reviewing collections for each resource, change rating to 2 stars.

Keep Smiling Smile

Now this is interesting! Different folks have different ways to get the same results. One size definitely does not fit all.  

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS