For the Love of LOGOS

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 249
Fred J. Morgan | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 6 2011 11:38 AM

If anyone recognises my name is will be because of my many Suggestions for Anabaptist, Radical/Swiss Reformation material.  Many are, I am sure, wishing I would slow down.

However, I love LOGOS!  From Version one many years ago I have continued  my ownership with every edition. I have also purchased other software, but in the end, I am always in my LOGOS Program.  Who can blame me? With LOGOS 4 we now have the best search, research and reading software on the market. The only problem, as you guess with my many post, is the seemingly endless works of Protestant works, which is great for any serious Bible, Theology or Scripture Study, but is not through!

The Radical and Swiss reformation is just as much part of modern religion as any other. Baptist, Mennonite, Amish, Brethren and other serious studies CAN NOT BE COMPLETE, not exhaustive, without Anabaptist, Radical and Swiss reformation material. Even a complete study of Religious History can not be performed with LOGOS because we do not have these works!

I am sure, some of you are already preparing a response. But please wait. Ask yourself;

How do I study through History of religion without the thousands of Martyrs? -  Many of these were from this group of Heretic to the Catholics, Libertines to Calvin and in general lawbreakers to all religions which aligned themselves with the state. How do you understand why they died?

How do you study Theology in general without what is considered the "Third Way"?  Nearly every founder of the Reformation wrote against the Anabaptist and eventually sided with their removal of death. The Catholics considered them as fallen or worst than the protestants.

Many of the fundamental religions of this age are based on the beliefs of these people. Baptist history can not even be sited before 1600 without direct mention of nearly every Anabaptist Founder which I have REQUEST to be added to LOGOS.

NOW Before you write against this short attempt to gain a little support, please realize what I am writing for:

1. Not Against any other WORKS being added to LOGOS.
  2. Not against any religion or belief.
  3. FOR - the addition of more works to your library if you choose to buy.
  4. FOR - The addition of work in an area which is extremely in need of more resources in the LOGOS Library
  5. NOT AGAINST LOGOS, or any of the administration of fine workers.
  6. FOR - a better, more diverse Library making STUDY of other beliefs and research better by adding reference material to works such as Calvin's many writings (see below post)
  7. Not against you personally nor your wants or beliefs
  8. FOR THE LOVE OF LOGOS.

Sincerely, In Jesus Christ

Fred Morgan

-------------------------------------------SITED POST in SUGGESTIONS---------------------

While reading "Treatises Against the Anabaptist and Against the Libertines" by John Calvin (I can not find this in LOGOS?) I noted more than MANY footnotes pointing to Anabaptist and pre-Anabaptist writers not limited to but including;
Michael Sattler
Felix Manz
Hans Grebel
Melchoir Hoffmann (?)
Balthausar Hubmaier
Menno Simons
Hetzer
Denck
Zwingli and OTHERS...

It should also be noted in this book Translated and Edited by Benjamin Wirt Farley, Many Anabaptist Books including but not limited to;
The Mennonite Encyclopedia
Zwingli and Calvin - Stauffer
Mennonitte Quarterly Review
Zwinglie Refuted
Zwinglie and Anabaptist - Wyneken
Radical Reformation - Williams
calvin's writting Against the Anabaptist -Beachy
Anabaptist View of State -Hillerbrand
Correspondances (set) - Herminjar
Zwinglie's Refutation - Stauffers
Complete Writings of Menno Simons - Wenger
Evangelical Anabaptist - Williams
Balthausar Hubmaier: Anabaptist theologian and Martyr - Barnes and Estep
State; Anabaptist, Mennonite Attitude Towards - Bender
Anabaptist and the Sword - Stayer
The Scheitheim Confession
and many other fine works and authors..... also some Calvin which I could not find but may be in the Large set of Calvin on LOGOS but not individually.

Many Short works like the Scheitheim confession are already in PBB and have been made available, with more comming including an attempt of "The Martyrs Mirror" which is very large but has been found pre-typed in public domain.

But as shown in the Biblography of this one book, I will have to purchase at least a few hard bound books just to do a study for myself. There are little anabaptist material and No Anabaptist Founders in LOGOS.

HOWEVER; This shows the Point I have been trying to make for YEARS to LOGOS - Attempting a study in Protestant Religions and Faith, Catholic, Calvinism, Evangelical and nearly any other study other than Anabaptist is fairly covered with LOGOS Library !! If not LOGOS is attempting such as with the many Catholic works to make these available.
The Anabaptists are VERY POORLY represented... PLEASE - Just a FEW, Menno Simons, Balthausar Hubmaier, Machael Sattler or maybe some works from Yoder or Bender on the Anabaptist and Anabaptist Theology - Anabaptist Theology comes to mind.

Sincerely Fred Morgan

Posts 29887
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2011 11:54 AM

Yes (thanks for keeping it on the burner Smile)

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3750
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2011 12:10 PM

Yes

I know you were hoping for a more negative response, but this was best I could do. Wink

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2011 12:27 PM

Fred J. Morgan:
While reading "Treatises Against the Anabaptist and Against the Libertines" by John Calvin (I can not find this in LOGOS?)

Strange, but I don't find this either though I do find a reference to it.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 3750
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2011 12:42 PM

George Somsel:

Fred J. Morgan:
While reading "Treatises Against the Anabaptist and Against the Libertines" by John Calvin (I can not find this in LOGOS?)

Strange, but I don't find this either though I do find a reference to it.

Hmmm.... if it isn't in Logos, did he really write it?

Big Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 249
Fred J. Morgan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2011 12:47 PM

Big Smile Big Smile Big Smile

Posts 2874
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2011 12:52 PM

Fred J. Morgan:

How do I study through History of religion     How do you study Theology

Thanks - Now all we have to do is add every other group that has not been added into Logos to the list.

When I research and see just what I thought that I would see I learn nothing.

When I see something else I need to think - am I right or are they? - can I see where they went wrong? [Or (horrors) did I go wrong?] does this topic matter to my salvation?

And unless the item is written by the originators [and not twisted by their opponents] how do I know it is the true thinking of that group?

[[Yes, I like having 200 commentaries on a subject that do not agree with me nor each other - FUN!]]

Posts 3750
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2011 1:10 PM

David Ames:

[[Yes, I like having 200 commentaries on a subject that do not agree with me nor each other - FUN!]]

Yes Where they (& sometimes I ) disagree is usually where I start learning... not much sticks that I don't interact with.

(Besides, if they all agreed with me, I'd be pretty sure one of us was wrong. Wink )

Grace & Peace,
Bill

iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 2900
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2011 1:40 PM

Though I am theologoically an evangelical Wesleyan, many of my favorite books are by Calvanist.  (Especially, Spurgeon's sermons and Martyn Lloyd-Jones's books.)  I learn much from those with whom I disagree.  I take what is good, and do not worry about the rest.

If someone can't learn from those with whom he disagrees, he probably can't learn much from anyone.

I support the call for more Anabaptist marterial. 

And I re-affirm my call for the scholarly edition of John Wesley's Works  put out by Abingdon.  I re-commit to calling for it, inspired by your persistent Anabaptist heart. 

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 1829
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2011 1:49 PM

Fred, I want these as badly as you do and am very happy that you are more outspoken on your desires than I am. Again, thanks for keeping Logos reminded that there is a desire for these resources.

Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2011 2:00 PM

YesYesYes

Posts 249
Fred J. Morgan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2011 11:57 AM

George, Wonerful you found a Jon Hus quote... considered a Radical reformer for being burnt at the stake for teaching Man is Saved by the Grace of Christ and not that of man nor the church.

Interesting, He also taught against buying salvation from the Church, This would 100 years later be the basis of Martin Luthers 95 Theisi! ---100 YEARS BEFORE!!!  WOW!!

As to the Calvin book and Jon Hus.. he was over 100 years before Calvin and Zwinglie!

Thanks Again ...   Fred

Posts 249
Fred J. Morgan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2011 11:59 AM

Thanks Michael,  Though I dought we would find much to disagree with.. Big Smile

Fred

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 7 2011 12:09 PM

Fred J. Morgan:

George, Wonerful you found a Jon Hus quote... considered a Radical reformer for being burnt at the stake for teaching Man is Saved by the Grace of Christ and not that of man nor the church.

Interesting, He also taught against buying salvation from the Church, This would 100 years later be the basis of Martin Luthers 95 Theisi! ---100 YEARS BEFORE!!!  WOW!!

As to the Calvin book and Jon Hus.. he was over 100 years before Calvin and Zwinglie!

Thanks Again ...   Fred

It's in the article on Hus in the Encyclopedia of Christianity.  Hus was inspired by Wikliff.  BTW:  It's Zwingli, not Zwinglie — it's OK, I've been known to mess up names too.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS