Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 821
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Nov 6 2009 9:06 PM

Is there documentation that might show how to search the ESV for strong's numbers or Louw Nida?

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 6644
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 9:28 PM

Dewayne Davis:
Is there documentation that might show how to search the ESV for strong's numbers or Louw Nida?

Not that I know of.

However you can right click on a word in the ESV and slect the Strongs # tab on the right click menu and tell it to search this resource. This reveals the syntax for this search:

The Louw-Nida search syntax is similar:

Or for the ESV:

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 821
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 6 2009 10:32 PM

Yes that worked. I copied the search term {<GreekStrongs = Strong’s Greek #1785>} into the visual filter that I started and it worked. This is going to be perfect for what I am trying to do. Thanks.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 4247
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:28 AM

Data type references are specified by surrounding them with "angle brackets". The context menu creates the most verbose form for performing this search; many shorter forms are possible. For example, 

<H1980>

finds all references of Hebrew Strong's #1980, because the system deduces that there's nothing else that that might mean. Similarly

<LN 57.98>

finds all references to LN 57.98, including ranges such as "57.71-57.124". To force an exact match, put an equals sign at the front:

<=LN 57.98>

Posts 6644
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:34 AM

Bradley Grainger:
Data type references are specified by surrounding them with "angle brackets". The context menu creates the most verbose form for performing this search; many shorter forms are possible.

That's nice, Bradley.

Is there any way to know what data types can be searched for various resources? The information panel on the ESV for instance does not mention the ability to search Louw-Nida numbers. I just tried it and it worked. The right click menu tells you that Strong's Number searching is available and can be invoked from that panel.

What other data types does the ESV have that are searchable? Will all this be documented sometime?

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 4247
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Logos) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 9:15 AM

Mark A. Smith:

Is there any way to know what data types can be searched for various resources? The information panel on the ESV for instance does not mention the ability to search Louw-Nida numbers. I just tried it and it worked. The right click menu tells you that Strong's Number searching is available and can be invoked from that panel.

No, I don't believe that information is currently exposed in the UI; I'll check our bug database to see if that's on the list to be added.

Mark A. Smith:

What other data types does the ESV have that are searchable? Will all this be documented sometime?

In the ESV, it's everything you see (with the interlinear pane turned on): English, Greek, Hebrew text; Greek, Hebrew Strong's Numbers; Greek, Hebrew lemmas; Andersen-Forbes Hebrew, and Logos Greek morph; LN numbers. And if you perform a Basic (not a Bible) search, you can search for the Bible references in the cross-reference footnotes. (Other English Bibles with reverse interlinears are similar.)

Posts 6644
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 7 2009 9:19 AM

Bradley Grainger:
No, I don't believe that information is currently exposed in the UI; I'll check our bug database to see if that's on the list to be added.

I hope it will be added to the list for consideration if it isn't there.

Bradley Grainger:
In the ESV, it's everything you see (with the interlinear pane turned on): English, Greek, Hebrew text; Greek, Hebrew Strong's Numbers; Greek, Hebrew lemmas; Andersen-Forbes Hebrew, and Logos Greek morph; LN numbers.

Thanks. That seems very logical.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS