How do I quickly find a reference like Augustine, Sermons, 23

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 25 2011 3:01 PM

If I go to my Library and simply search for "author:augustine", I only get two book results (Confessions and Epistles in Latin).

I have Augustine's writings in my Early Church Fathers series, but short of opening individual ECF books, it's not clear to me how I would quickly find something like ECF:Augustine:Sermons:23. 

I guess what I'm asking is how do I quickly find an author in my library when that author is part of a anthology?

Posts 26012
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2011 3:54 PM

J.P. Poveda:
I guess what I'm asking is how do I quickly find an author in my library when that author is part of a anthology?

Strangely, you just need to type Sermon into the text box of any ECF volume! For his letters type Letter (or Sermon 23, Letter 2).

Please don't ask why.

PS my first Search in the ECF Series was (sermon, sermons)  NEAR Augustin  (not Augustine)

EDIT: ok, not as easy as indicated but there is no way to search ECF on Author. The more acceptable Search  <Augustine = Letter 1.1>  or <Augustine = Sermon 23.1>  does not work, despite that being the syntax given from the right click Context menu (Augustin doesn't work either)! It could be my Protestant edition?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2011 4:33 PM

The drop-down box on the ECF reference box has two entries for Sermon: the first gets you to Augustine, the second to Leo the Great. Typing Letter gets you a longer list and these go to Augustine, Cyprian, Jerome, Gregory of Nyssa, and others. They are not in alphabetic order (unless I am missing something), but Augustine just happens to come first in both lists. The reference box would be more helpful if it had the additional info:

Sermon(s), Augustine

Sermons(s), Leo the Great

and so on. I don't know if Logos can do that without messing something else up, but it would facilitate navigation.

EDIT: Actually it is stranger. Play around with it a bit and you'll see what I mean. If you start with ECF Volume 1 everything works as above. If you are in Leo the Great's sermon, then Letter brings him up first, not Augustine.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2011 4:59 PM

J.P. Poveda:
it's not clear to me how I would quickly find something like ECF:Augustine:Sermons:23. 

Some have made a personal book from the .docx file in this thread to have an index of the Early Church Fathers.  Then you just open that personal book and hit ctrl + f and type in Augustin. But this doesn't reallly answer your larger question.  From what limited understanding I have about this case is that Logos decided not to publish the index to the Early Church Fathers because we can search it.  This concept seems to fail in this case.  If indeed I understand the situation properly.

Early Church Fathers PB Table of Contents - Logos Bible Software Forums

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2011 6:34 PM

Thanks everyone for your input.

Unfortunately, it seems the workarounds only work with ECF. I should have titled the post something along the lines of "How do I find an author that's part of an anthology."

What would be helpful is if I could search in the library for "author:augustine" and every book, including anthologies/collections life ECF, would come up. I can't simply search for "Augustine" using a standard search because that brings up a zillion searches. This seems like a real limitation in Logos.

Am I missing something here?

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2011 7:08 PM

J.P. Poveda:
Am I missing something here?

Not a thing. Most resources in Logos are not indexed by author so author searching will produce little. Most journals and some dictionaries/encyclopedias are tagged with the authors of articles. As far as I can tell, individual books are not. (I suppose Logos assumes we'll use the Library to find a specific author's work.) It is a shortcoming in Logos.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2011 10:19 PM

Mark Smith:
As far as I can tell, individual books are not. (I suppose Logos assumes we'll use the Library to find a specific author's work.) It is a shortcoming in Logos.

That's unfortunate.

Posts 1672
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2011 10:32 PM

J.P. Poveda:
Mark Smith:
As far as I can tell, individual books are not. (I suppose Logos assumes we'll use the Library to find a specific author's work.) It is a shortcoming in Logos.

That's unfortunate.

A better indexing system would allow nested resources (e.g. an article, within a dictionary, within a set), with multiple creators (authors, editors, ...) for each resource.

Logos doesn't do this, so some workarounds:

• Use the Tag field for anything you will regularly search for, e.g. I have tagged each volume of the Early Church Fathers with the authors that appear within it.
  • Use a Notes file that contains links to things you'll want to find again. (Notes appears at the top when you do a basic search of your library.)
Posts 30150
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 25 2011 11:04 PM

The following reading list has about half of the Augustine sermons indexed. I will get back to finish it but this is a very busy week.

Early Church Fathers Index

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 26012
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 5:20 PM

Dave Hooton:
The more acceptable Search  <Augustine = Letter 1.1>  or <Augustine = Sermon 23.1>  does not work, despite that being the syntax given from the right click Context menu

Please ignore. These will not find occurrences of the article, only references to the article!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 55
J.P. Poveda | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 7:51 PM

MJ. Smith:

The following reading list has about half of the Augustine sermons indexed. I will get back to finish it but this is a very busy week.

Early Church Fathers Index

Hi MJ... was there suppose to be a link? Thanks!

Posts 30150
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 26 2011 9:18 PM

It is a reading list - accessible from the tools menu. However, it can be accessed directly on the wiki http://topics.logos.com/Early_Church_Fathers_Index   but the intent is for it to be a reading list within Logos.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS