Greek Lexicon of the Roman and Byzantine Periods (146 BC - 1100 AD) in community pricing

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Oct 27 2011 9:03 AM

I'm not sure why this one isn't more popular, but for the current price of $20 the Greek Lexicon of the Roman and Byzantine Periods is available in community pricing, along with three other volumes:

http://www.logos.com/product/8513/e-a-sophocles-collection

I'm mainly interested in the lexicon, as this would enable me to compare the classical through medieval uses of a Greek word in order to get a possible range of meanings for New Testament words - and it's at only $20 right now. 

But there are three other volumes too:

Greek Lexicon of the Roman and Byzantine Periods (from B.C. 146 to A.D. 1100)

History of the Greek Alphabet and Pronunciation

A Catalogue of Greek Verbs

A Greek Grammar for the Use of Learners

Posts 10040
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 9:14 AM

I get the feeling this collection of resources is for the 'hard-core' greeky people? I hope not anyway.

Last year, I think, Logos featured it on the blog for the same reason you mention. It would be the only 'late' greek lexicon to fill out many centuries of the greek language changes.

I suspect many forget that greek changed usage/meanings across time? Although BDAG etc do group some of the changes, it's a WHOLE lot easier simply to have LSJ for early greek/LXX, MM for koine, and the Sophicles for late greek and then use the magic 'arrow' key to quickly compare.

In any event, for those that want this resource, I'd bet the only way it's going to move is at a higher price. I'm at $72 which is what I'd easily pay for the hardcopy.

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 9:27 AM

Of course we don't always know when a word started meaning one thing or another, and conceivably a word in the NT might have a meaning closer to either the ancient or the medieval - at least I seem to remember reading as much in one of David Alan Black's books, and it seems reasonable enough to me (we often think that dictionaries have it all figured out). So this resource would widen the possible meanings of a word by allowing the possibility that a later meaning of a word was conceptually present in non-literary literature (i.e. the NT) long before it became 'good' Greek. 

I will consider raising the bid if there isn't sufficient interest, but I would think this would be of interest to anyone who uses a lexicon. 

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:05 AM

For some reason this was one of the only CP offerings I had not jumped on.  Thanks for mentioning it!

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:28 AM

I bid on this November 24, 2010. It just sits there looking at me. Patience is in order.

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 11:36 AM

Sounds interesting. If Logos will fix the broken sample page links that would help me make a decision. (I've reported it.)

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 12:17 PM

Mark Smith:

Sounds interesting. If Logos will fix the broken sample page links that would help me make a decision. (I've reported it.)

You can view the lexicon at internet archive. 

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 8:30 PM

Dean053:

Of course we don't always know when a word started meaning one thing or another, and conceivably a word in the NT might have a meaning closer to either the ancient or the medieval - at least I seem to remember reading as much in one of David Alan Black's books, and it seems reasonable enough to me (we often think that dictionaries have it all figured out). So this resource would widen the possible meanings of a word by allowing the possibility that a later meaning of a word was conceptually present in non-literary literature (i.e. the NT) long before it became 'good' Greek. 

I will consider raising the bid if there isn't sufficient interest, but I would think this would be of interest to anyone who uses a lexicon. 

Peace, Dean,

I also would be willing to raise my bid considerably to get this "precious" book! Sophocles was a native Greek speaker!     Priceless!

If, at a certain time, quite a number of forum brothers and sisters would do that, perhaps that would make a difference.

If you decide to "go for it(!)     --          please post and I think many would join in.

2 Corinthians 9:15

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 8:38 PM

OK. I've looked online at the lexicon and am in.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 8:41 PM

I've raised my bid to forty dollars - the price of just the lexicon on Amazon last time I checked.

Posts 4625
RIP
Milford Charles Murray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 27 2011 8:47 PM

Just went $55.00!                         *smile*

Proverbs 22:1

Philippians 4:  4 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice. 5 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand..........

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 7:10 PM

Bump for those of you who haven't seen this one.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 8:43 PM

Mark Smith:

Bid anyway.  The dictionary alone is worth it.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 9:01 PM

George Somsel:

Why, George, I did. I would like to encourage about 100 other Logos users to do the same.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1557
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 9:04 PM

I'm in.

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 1 2012 9:06 PM

Mark Smith:

George Somsel:

Why, George, I did. I would like to encourage about 100 other Logos users to do the same.

Placed my bib in Aug 2011; hoping for many more bidders.  For Perseus collection, lexicon would be a welcome addition.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 10:43 AM

I'm hoping more jump on this too, as Byzantine-era Greek lexicons are not exactly abundant. 

Also, as more and more people seem to be switching from Erasmian to Modern Greek pronunciation (I made the switch last year), his work on the history of Greek pronunciation would also be very welcome. 

Posts 204
Oldnewbie | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 6 2012 11:09 AM

I'm in already and hoping more people see this soon.

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 6 2012 11:16 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

[...] For Perseus collection, lexicon would be a welcome addition.

Keep Smiling Smile

Wholeheartedly agree!! [ I have to wonder somethimes if by a freebie like the Perseus, that they are not leading us into the "pond of despair" .  well i could use these with such-and-such collection.....{sheepishly snickering Devil }....]

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 10040
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 5 2012 5:06 PM

BUMP

With all the greek experts on this forum (and using Logos4), I can not believe this one's moving along so slow.

Just today, I'm in Ephesians 6:12 (that's as far as I got after several hours), and TWICE MM-Vocabulary drew a blank, pointing me to Sophicles.

Well, now isn't that cute.

I guess I don't understand. (1) I'm not a greek expert (at all!). (2)  I'm not a pastor either; I don't have to explain passages to other people.

So, why do I keep running into 'Sophicles' and most don't? I can assure you I am not too swift.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS