Liberal commentary.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 769
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 31 2011 6:19 AM

I really hope this does not turn into a theological discussion. I have to do a paper on Romans and the professor is requiring us to interact with some liberal commentaries. Would someone point me in the direction of said liberal commentaries. I have an idea but just want to make sure I didn't miss something I would like to add to my library. Thanks.

Posts 124
Donald G. Fisher | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 31 2011 8:47 AM

How about the John MacArthur Library?    Stick out tongue

Blessings,

Don

(Yes, that was meant as a joke)

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 31 2011 9:12 AM

Wow, that's a tough question, oddly enough.

I bought Hermenaia and Continental to move 'left' only to find Hermenaia is periodically more conservative than my conservative guys and Continental is hopelessly traditional (another type of dichotomy).

Then I open up my conservative ones only to find some are wildly liberal.

I moved back into the early 1900s and again a series can go both ways at the same time.

In my Enclyclopedia Biblica, again some authors have pretty much re-written the Bible and some are 'every word inspired'.

I assume you're asking outside of Logos since inside Logos, it's VERY author specific.

EDIT: Romans!! (I'm blind as a bat! Apologies, though I do find the dichotomies curious.)

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 769
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 31 2011 9:18 AM

Denise,

It is hard to tell, no I am speaking within Logos since I am looking only for Romans commentaries it is much easier than if one were looking for a series. I was just hoping someone would give me a suggestion I had not run across yet.

Posts 21
Monty Bower | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 31 2011 11:48 AM

The word liberal is such a loaded term that I'm not sure what you are needing. However, those definitely not like MacArthur would include the commentaries of Barth, Brunner, Cranfield, Fitzmyer, Kaseman, and Nygren (just off the top of my head, though these vary in degrees of liberalism). The commentary by Wright in The New Interpreters' Commentary would probably qualify. But then again, I wouldn't use MacArthur as the benchmark for liberal versus conservative. The commentaries of Morris, Dunn, Osborne, Barrett, et al are by no means in the same category as MacArthur, even though few would classify these as (full-blown) liberal.

i7-2630QM (2nd Gen), Radeon HD6770M 1G (DDR5), 8G DDR3, 1 TB 5400 HD, Win10 64

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS