Tablets, Ipads, the Cloud and the options

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2032
Mark | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 1 2011 1:42 PM

I would like to get a tablet computer (not an ipad) that

1. Has a usb 3 port

2. has the ability to connect to a server in my house that would privately contain my files

3. That can run L4

I know L4 is currently a hybrid.  I know it can be accessed from one's computer (if they have the hard drive capacity) or in the cloud (as in the case of the iphone etc).

I am wondering if there are plans or if it is possible to access L4 from a private home server in the future.  I know now it is not permitted in the licensing. 

But it seems to me that the computer world is heading to the clouds and that the tablet is the new computer model.  And that makes me wish I could have a tablet that had a usb port in which I could plug in an external hard drive if I wanted...and also, or more important, the ability to access files wirelessly from a server not in the cloud (I am using this term to mean on a server somewhere in the world that is not in my control) but rather on a home harddrive, server or seomthing of that sort.

If you understand the question, I am wondering what others think of this.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 12:28 AM

Fujitsu LifeBook T901 tablet has a USB 3 port => http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834110486

Note: learned many Windows 7 tablet PC's do not have USB 3, including several models with 2nd Generation Core i CPU's.

Apple's MacBook Air has Solid State Disk (SSD) and Thunderbolt (2x faster than USB 3) while being less expensive than LifeBook T901.  LaCie has external thunderbolt RAID 0 storage => http://store.apple.com/us/product/H7150ZM/A/lacie-little-big-disk-thunderbolt-series-hard-drive  Reading rumors about more thunderbotl external storage options.  Noticed Mac Sales has more expensive RAID towers with thunderbolt.

iPad option: use a VNC (or remote desktop connection) app to remotely run Logos 4 on a Windows or Mac computer.

Mark:
I am wondering if there are plans or if it is possible to access L4 from a private home server in the future.  I know now it is not permitted in the licensing. 

Please elaborate home server usage scenario ?

Logos licenses resources to an individual for use on whatever devices individual desires; Logos software is free for many platforms: Logos 4 for Mac and PC along with Logos app for iOS and Android devices.  Also have option to use http://biblia.com

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2032
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 5:35 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Please elaborate home server usage scenario ?

Logos licenses resources to an individual for use on whatever devices individual desires

Thanks for your response.  It seems to me, the future of computing does not include laptops nor PCs.  Rather, it seems each may have a tablet with a very limited hard drive and there will be a need to access personal files in the clouds.

I have 1 TB of files on an external hard drive that I can hook up to my computer and access.

L4 takes up 28GB on my laptop.  I wondered if the program would fit on a tablet.  So I envision a future where I have a tablet where I would have to access my personal files including L4 from a personal hard drive at home.  Or maybe I am wrong.  Maybe all Tablets would have the space for L4.  Well, this is my question.  And if I have to access my personal files from a personal hard drive at home, I would need to be able to access those files anywhere in the world where ever I am.  So that personal hard drive would have to be a personal server to allow me to access my files.

I am very aware of Logos not permitting their program to be on a server and I understand their reasoning.  I am just trying to think out loud of the implications of the world going tablet.  Perhaps with a program such as L4, I would have to carry around a personal hard drive that would plug into the tablet in order to use L4.  I am just trying to see if anyone else has thought through the implications of tablet computing.  I know one answer and the big answer is that everything will be in the clouds.  But due to power outages etc, there are people (like myself) who prefer to access material locally or to be in control of our own files by having our own servers to access the material. 

Just wondering what others are thinking.

Posts 2758
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 7:03 AM

I don't think the personal computer will go away any time soon.

Posts 2032
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 7:21 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:

I don't think the personal computer will go away any time soon.

Well I agree with this.  But let me try to rephrase my question.

Tablet computing is going to take off.  For those of us who have invested much in Logos, are we stuck with having to use the program on PCs and Laptops?  Or are we going to be able to use them on Tablet computers?

Posts 28357
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 7:28 AM

Mark - First, I agree with Kevin: The computer isn't going anywhere soon. Secondly, a "tablet" cannot replace your computer (at least in respect to L4) in the near future. The mobile app and L4 are not the same thing. I think that you are right: "the future of computing does not include laptops nor PCs"; but remember that "the future" is ambiguous. Tablets are more powerful than computers from 10 years ago. My iPad is more powerful than my inlaws computer! I think that there will come a day in the not-too-distant-future when your "computer" will be carried around in your iPhone. You will still need to have displays and input devices, but these will evolve. You may have a monitor and keyboard on your desk, but it is not your "computer." In fact, anyone will be able to sit down and use their "computer" at your desk.

I know that part of your post is kind of "thinking out loud." I guess what I am trying to convey is that there is nothing for you to worry about in the present, and to emphasize that even though "the world is going tablet," this day has not yet arrived and is still off in "the future."

[I love my iPad by the way Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 28357
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 7:34 AM

I think I answered your questions, but you posted this before I could get my response up. Let me quickly summarize:

Mark:
Tablet computing is going to take off.

Yes, but "in the future." Also, I don't think that "tablets" will ever replace "computers." I love my iPad, but it would never be my primary working device. This will not change in the future - ever! The "computer" may become a chip in my phone that allows me to access information, but there will still be keyboards & monitors (even if some new technology!) on my desk in 20 years. 

Mark:
For those of us who have invested much in Logos, are we stuck with having to use the program on PCs and Laptops?

Logos will adapt with the times, as will any tech company that wants to stay in business. Tablets are not computers, and computers are not tablets. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 84
Jerry Fourroux | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 8:03 AM

I use my iPad 2 to log into my laptop at the office and use the full L4 there using Log Me In iOS app. It is free on the computer but a $30 app on the iPad.

I use L4 for the detail language stuff and reading resources like the Library of Christian Worship on my iPad. 

It is not as fast but still great user experience. Smile

Posts 10950
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2011 8:55 AM

When Logos4 first came out, I thought the iPad/tablet concept was the future.

And I still do as regards more users, especially folks that mainly want to communicate (email/Facebook), read (news, novels, etc) and manage things (stock, airline tickets, etc).

But for more 'serious' activities, a PC/Mac has major advantages, and so I changed my mind.

My current netbook has been showing 'hints' of needing replacement. Of course, the 'hints' are hard to demonstrate to my spouse, but they began showing up after I saw the Levnovo convertable tablet ( http://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Lenovo-ThinkPad-X220T-4298-2YG-Convertible-Notebook.60217.0.html ).

This last Sunday I forgot my netbook at church so I had to take notes on my phone. Then spend the whole day Monday repeating the whole exercise on my netbook. That's why eventually I want to end up with a power-hungry tablet that can go everywhere I like (Logos4, music software, etc).

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS