Works of John Brown on CP

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 8 2011 2:43 PM

Glad to the newest Community Pricing set today, The Works of John Brown of Haddington in 15 volumes.

I will be far happier though to see the complete works of the other Puritan of that name, John Brown of Edinburgh. Among his writings, the 2 volume commentary on on 1 Peter (formerly in thh Banner of Truth Geneva commentary series), the commentary on Hebrews, and The Discourse and Sayings of Our Lord are priceless.

Posts 2855
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2011 2:53 PM

Randal M Lane:
I will be far happier though to see the complete works of the other Puritan of that name, John Brown of Edinburgh. Among his writings, the 2 volume commentary on on 1 Peter (formerly in thh Banner of Truth Geneva commentary series), the commentary on Hebrews, and The Discourse and Sayings of Our Lord are priceless.

Bravo YesYesYes I am with you in your request. Yes please, add my vote!

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2011 3:40 PM

Randall,

I agree with your commentary suggestions for "the other" John Brown.  I've noticed that with each of the Classic Commentaries and Studies Collections up for bid it seems the major commentary works from the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries are always included.  I would be shocked if Brown did not make the list on the future 1 Peter and Hebrews collections.

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2011 9:12 PM

Randall,

Spurgeon writes on Brown (Edinburgh)

Discourses and Sayings of Our Lord

"Of the noblest order of exposition. Procure it."

Romans

"Dr. Brown’s work must be placed among the first of the first-class. He is a great expositor."

Galatians

"Brown is a modern Puritan. All his expositions are of the utmost value. The volume on Galatians is one of the scarcest books in the market."

Hebrews

"Dr. David Smith says of this work: “There is not a single instance of carelessness in investigating the true meaning of a text, or of timidity in stating the conclusion at which the author had arrived.” What more could be said in praise of any exposition?"

I Peter

"The epistle is divided into paragraphs, and these are made the themes of discourses. Thus Dr. Brown produced what is substantially a commentary, and one of the best. It affords us a grammatical interpretation, together with an exposition, at once exegetical, doctrinal and practical. It is a standard work, and the indices increase its value."

II Peter

"We always think of Brown as a Puritan born out of due time. Everything he has left us is massive gold. He is both rich and clear, profound and perspicuous."

Posts 2855
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 12:46 AM

Okay Paul, you left out Wink :

1) The Resurrection of Life: An exposition of First XV with A Discourse on our Lord's Resurrection by John Brown http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=The+Resurrection+of+Life%3A+An+exposition+of+First+XV+with+A+Discourse+on+our+Lord%27s+Resurrection+by+John+Brown&x=34&y=16

2) The Sufferings and Glories of the Messiah, by John Brown  already offered in Logos

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 1674
Paul N | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 9 2011 5:45 AM

Ted:

Okay Paul, you left out Wink :

1) The Resurrection of Life: An exposition of First XV with A Discourse on our Lord's Resurrection by John Brown http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=The+Resurrection+of+Life%3A+An+exposition+of+First+XV+with+A+Discourse+on+our+Lord%27s+Resurrection+by+John+Brown&x=34&y=16

You got me... and Charles, on this one!

Ted:

Spurgeon writes:

"Like all Dr. Brown’s productions, this is a work of the highest order. Clear, full, and, in the best manner, exegetical."

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS