Logos Crash on Startup.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Nov 24 2011 9:45 AM

I just attempted to launch Logos on a computer of mine. I haven't even had any issues with it before this, but now it doesn't launch at all without getting an error. I get the following error-

I started Logos up with Ctrl, and attempted to load a blank layout.

Attached are my logs, I have replaced my username with <USERNAME>.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 9:47 AM

Second log of 3

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 9:47 AM

Third log of 3

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 10:15 AM

If someone at Logos wants to contact me, I also captured a Process Monitor log with Logos starting up.

Posts 25104
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 2:00 PM

Ryan:
Attached are my logs,

It is trying to launch the Indexer --> logos4Indexer.exe.

I can suggest you try to Repair the app but if that does not work contact Logos Tech Support ASAP.

To repair:

• go to Control Panel | Programs and Features in your <username> account
  • right click the Logos Bible software 4 and select Repair.

If you have to re-install then there is a Quick Method --> http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers#Method_2

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 4:54 PM

I attempted the repair, but still get the same error.

I think I will wait on the re-install, I really only want to do that as a last resort.

Posts 25104
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 10:33 PM

Ryan:
I think I will wait on the re-install,

Quick means less than 1 hour as there is no indexing and downloading!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8084
LogosEmployee

One possible cause is that the Indexer is set to run as administrator, which will prevent the app from launching it.

Open Windows Explorer to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Logos4\System", find Logos4Indexer.exe, right-click it, and choose Properties. Make sure that none of the options on the "Compatibility" tab are selected, particularly "Run this program as an administrator" (at the bottom).

Posts 8084
LogosEmployee

Hmm... based on your logs (particularly the error log), I'm suspecting that it's a bigger problem than that. It looks like the user account you're running under is getting access denied errors when trying to use parts of the .NET framework, access the temp folder, and launch the indexer. There may be a permissions problem somewhere, but since I haven't seen errors exactly like this before, I'm not sure exactly where to look.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 2:58 PM

Bradley Grainger:

One possible cause is that the Indexer is set to run as administrator, which will prevent the app from launching it.

Open Windows Explorer to "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Logos4\System", find Logos4Indexer.exe, right-click it, and choose Properties. Make sure that none of the options on the "Compatibility" tab are selected, particularly "Run this program as an administrator" (at the bottom).

I checked out these options, none of them were checked.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 2:59 PM

Bradley Grainger:

Hmm... based on your logs (particularly the error log), I'm suspecting that it's a bigger problem than that. It looks like the user account you're running under is getting access denied errors when trying to use parts of the .NET framework, access the temp folder, and launch the indexer. There may be a permissions problem somewhere, but since I haven't seen errors exactly like this before, I'm not sure exactly where to look.

.net framework corruption?

I'm running Logos with the only local profile I used with it historically, nothing should have changed.

Let me know how I can help.

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 3:58 PM

I opened a ticket with Logos Support. A ProcDump was pulled.

One additional item of note would be the fact that when the error occurs, there are no events recorded in Windows Event Viewer.

Also looked into the following-

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/wyts434y.aspx

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 4:26 PM

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is, I fixed it.

The bad news is, I did a system restore...

If the problem comes back, I'll will be sure to post here and/or contact Logos Support. Otherwise I guess I'll just close the ticket. I suspect .net was corrupted.

Posts 25104
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 6:39 PM

Ryan:
The bad news is, I did a system restore...

Thanks for the feedback, Ryan.

So now you have to figure out which Windows Updates to run?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 25 2011 6:47 PM

There were no Windows Updates undone.

The System Restore that I went back to was an automatic restore point that preceded the 24th at 9am, which was the time I noticed it stopped working. See below-

I installed Java, and started troubleshooting on my own as soon as I realized Logos was not working, but the restore points that come after the 19th, are all after the first Logos startup failure.

So, something happened between the Automatic Restore point on the 19th, and 9am on the 24th, that prevented Logos from working appropriately.

Posts 25104
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 26 2011 3:33 AM

The 64-bit Java, version 29 should have been rolled back by the Restore together with the three Windows updates on the 25th. From your description the (unlikely) culprit could be Java v.29.

Do you use a 64-bit browser that you need 64-bit Java?

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 26 2011 8:03 AM

Dave Hooton:

The 64-bit Java, version 29 should have been rolled back by the Restore together with the three Windows updates on the 25th. From your description the (unlikely) culprit could be Java v.29.

Java was installed at 11am on the 24th, after I discovered Logos was not opening correctly. I started ensuring my computer was up to date on all windows and 3rd party components.

Posts 46
John Thomson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 27 2011 8:39 PM

I just uninstalled Java Update 26 to fix the problem. I still get an error on start up "Logos Bible Software has stopped working. Looking for solutions"  Is there a Trojan or something out there with others having a similar problem?

Posts 25104
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 28 2011 12:56 AM

John Thomson:
I just uninstalled Java Update 26 to fix the problem.

I stated that was an unlikely culprit.

We need to see logs. Please read the wiki carefully and upload logs  --> http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 46
John Thomson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 28 2011 11:06 PM

*** Application Crash ***

Program Version: 4.3 SR-6 (4.30.0.1613)

Windows Version: 6.1.7601.65536

Time: 2011-11-27 21:45:36 -05:00 (2011-11-28T02:45:36Z)

Installed memory: 8,103 MB

Install path: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Logos4\System\Logos4.exe

Free install space: 171,647 MB

Temp path: C:\Users\John\AppData\Local\Temp\

Free temp space: 171,647 MB

Error ID: 3949

Error detail: FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Logos, Version=4.30.0.1613, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)

System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Logos, Version=4.30.0.1613, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)

File name: 'Libronix.DigitalLibrary.Logos, Version=4.30.0.1613, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800736B1): The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1)

at LDLS4.OurApp.InitializeAndRun(ReadOnlyCollection`1 listArgs, SingleInstanceManager sim)

at LDLS4.OurApp.Main(String[] astrArgs)

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS