Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 21 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 25660
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jul 26 2009 6:26 PM

It appears that the Forum has completey overtaken the Newsgroups. There have been no articles for 3 days and those that have been posted in the last month have come from a handful of users! My survey includes beta, files, general, greek, hebrew, macintosh, pbb, searching, setup, espanol and suggestions.

However, the Forums still need improvements and seem to be going backwards in some respects:-

- navigation can be better as per the many suggestions posted e.g. "mark all read" in Home page filters.

- spell checker is sometimes absent

- links to files now require manual tinkering of a long URL compared to the much shorter links used originally.

- spurious words appear after editing an external quote (text that is formatted differently to the Forum default).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2009 7:18 PM

Dave Hooton:
spell checker is sometimes absent

The sporadic functionality of spell checker is killing me. If it were never there, I would compensate. If it were always there, I would be safe.

It is this never knowing that makes for difficult posting.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3688
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2009 7:42 PM

Dave Hooton:

I have never seen it - did not even know it existed.  Where should I be looking?

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 3688
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2009 7:44 PM

Dave Hooton:
Dare I say that the Newsgroups are dead?

RIP Sad

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2009 8:16 PM

Floyd Johnson:

Dave Hooton:

I have never seen it - did not even know it existed.  Where should I be looking?

Floyd

I use Firefox and I always thought the spell-checker  is part of Firefox. It works well for me. Just sometimes I need to help it with intentional mistake and it starts to show up.

Bohuslav

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2009 8:31 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Floyd Johnson:

Dave Hooton:

Floyd

I use Firefox and I always thought the spell-checker  is part of Firefox. It works well for me. Just sometimes I need to help it with intentional mistake and it starts to show up.

I thought it was part of the forum software. I have been running IE7 all week and the spell checker is still sporadic. Maybe it is on my end.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3688
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2009 8:36 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
I use Firefox and I always thought the spell-checker  is part of Firefox.

Though I cannot prove it - it appears that you may be right.  I normally use Opera as my default browser - it does not work there.  I also tried to create a new message in Internet Explorer - and the spell checker was absent.  But when I turned to Firefox, I saw the availability a spell checker for the first time.  Thanks for the tip.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 2778
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2009 11:13 PM

Dave Hooton:
Mac's have a built in spell checker that works on all websites... are you sure there is nothing in Windows that will spell check for you?

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 26 2009 11:43 PM

Joe Miller:

Dave Hooton:
Mac's have a built in spell checker that works on all websites... are you sure there is nothing in Windows that will spell check for you?

I have a spell checker.  It sits at the keyboard.  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 12:23 AM

George Somsel:
I have a spell checker.  It sits at the keyboard.  Big Smile

Good one. OK, let's send all posts to George and he will check them for us Big Smile

I know Firefox has a spell-checker because we use it also for the Czech language and it works great. I haven't find any IE spell-checker yet. Definitely not in the Czech language.

Bohuslav

Posts 25660
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 12:33 AM

Joe Miller:
are you sure there is nothing in Windows that will spell check for you?

I've assumed it was the forum when composing or editing as the context menu is different e.g. "Check Spelling" (checked) and "Languages ->" appear here. In a text box in another web page I get "Check Spelling" (unchecked) and "Adblock Image" (a Firefox addon).

Fast Forward. When I check the "spelling" option the "Languages ->" option appears! I've checked the FF Option for "check my spelling as I type" so I wasn't expecting the context menu "spelling" option to be unchecked.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25660
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 12:51 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
I know Firefox has a spell-checker because we use it also for the Czech language and it works great. I haven't find any IE spell-checker yet. Definitely not in the Czech language.

How do you know it is the FF spell checker? In what context do you see it working?

Thanks,

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 4:45 AM

Dave Hooton:

How do you know it is the FF spell checker? In what context do you see it working?

Thanks,

Well, when I use IE8 no spell-checking is present. In Firefox 3.5 I have an addon working as a spell-checker. I assume with the English language it is the same. It works for me in any place on Internet I need it, when I use Firefox. Below you can see my addons in Firefox. You can see there (I am sorry for the Czech language) 3 spell-checkers: US English, Polish and Czech. Great stuff. I like FiIrefox.

Bohuslav

Posts 25660
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 6:56 AM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
In Firefox 3.5 I have an addon working as a spell-checker.

It is indeed the FF spell checker that works within text entry boxes/fields like this, and I have enabled an English (Australian) dictionary so I always spell 'colour' correctly. But the spell checker is not active as I write this.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3688
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 7:05 AM

Here is one idea - could we get LOGOS to install it on there end?

http://download.cnet.com/Web-Browser-Spell-Check/3000-2356_4-24212.html

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Posts 2744
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 2:15 PM

Dave Hooton:
It is indeed the FF spell checker that works within text entry boxes/fields like this, and I have enabled an English (Australian) dictionary so I always spell 'colour' correctly. But the spell checker is not active as I write this.

It works great for me, but sometimes it looks like I have to help it to initiate that I do some obvious mistake and it starts to work than.

Bohuslav

Posts 236
David Ladiges | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 3:55 PM

Floyd,

Your question prompted me to go check the status of spell checking in the major browsers and I found the following:

• It looks like Mac browsers all use the system spell checker.
  • Firefox and Chrome users have a built in spell checker. (If Chrome's may be a bit glitchy at times...)
  • IE users can use http://www.iespell.com/ or the Google Toolbar to provide spell-checking but these aren't available by default.

It may make sense to implement a spell checker for the browsers that haven't gotten this feature quite yet, but this really does seem to be trending to being implemented on the client rather than on a site by site basis.

So if you are using a browser that doesn't have spell check built in, try some of these options, and I'll look more into implementing the spell check as I get the opportunity to do so.

Thanks!

David

Posts 25660
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 6:36 PM

David Ladiges:
I'll look more into implementing the spell check as I get the opportunity to do so.

Thanks David.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 329
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 27 2009 7:59 PM

One way would be to copy everything into a word doc, or something comparable... I use the google spell checker, but with my version 7 of IE it sometimes does weird stuff. There is a spell check in the section directly above where I'm typing, but mine wasn't installed, and asks me if I want to install?

NOW, how about Notes in Libronix?

Ralph

Posts 2030
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 29 2009 10:48 AM

I deleted the newsgroup software from my computer last week, and was happy to do so....but with all the recent tangeants on the forum here, I am beginning to believe I was premature in deleting the software.  It seems OT are beginning to dominate here and I am seeing less discussion about Libronix itself.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS