F.F., Revised Commentary on Acts - NICNT Available Separately

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2
Phillip S. Brown | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 16 2011 8:16 AM

Hey, folks.  Thought I'd throw out a suggestion to offer this book separately - apart from the entire set.  The set is a little expensive for me right now.  For that matter, any of the other three or so commentaries I'd like to be able to purchase are in the same boat - all bundled with a commentary series and unavailable separately.

I'm not sure how you guys negotiate licenses or if there are any binding agreements that require the bundlings, but I can order all these separately via Amazon, CBD and Westminster bookstores.

My method of study is to use two or three commentaries focused on one book.   Two of the commentaries I'd like to purchase are part of a large set.  One is doable - it's part of the socio-rhetorical series (SRC) and it's just $150.   But even that is a bit much for my limited focus -- group bible study for the next four months or so.

Let me know if any thinking or planning about this is in the works.   If not, then I'll have to rethink my approach.

Kind regards,

Phil

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 11:49 AM

Phil,

Welcome to the forums.

In some cases we've been told bundling and unbundling is handled by the publisher, not Logos. That may be the case here. Logos has been working on unbundling some resources but so far nothing has happened, even temporarily for the NICOT/NICNT. When the ICC was first released it was only available as a bundle. The volumes have been unbundled but are at full list price for the print versions, which is quite high. So it might happen for NIC.

Others would like to see the Anchor-Yale Bible Commentary and Hermeneia unbundled, but so far that has not happened either.

It is a waiting game, and for some sets it seems the wait could be forever. I don't think, as one who's watched this for some time, that you should expect the NIC volumes to be available separately any time soon.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 12:09 PM

Phillip S. Brown:
My method of study is to use two or three commentaries focused on one book.   Two of the commentaries I'd like to purchase are part of a large set.  One is doable - it's part of the socio-rhetorical series (SRC) and it's just $150.   But even that is a bit much for my limited focus -- group bible study for the next four months or so.

Your method of study seems to be the norm rather than the exception. Most paper version commentaries have always been available for purchase individually. I really wish the publishers would bring that equity to the software version of their commentaries. Even if at the high price of the printed version. The ICC in Logos format is owned by Logos (to my understanding) so no external permission was need to offer individual titles. Many have been recent Daily Deals on Twitter for 50% off. But the NICOT/NICNT and Anchor Yale Bible commentaries are still under copyright and require permissions before Logos could offer individual volumes for sale. To my knowledge neither of these commentaries are offered anywhere by single volume in digital form but are available in paper version.

Like I said; I really wish the publishers would sell individual digital volumes of their commentaries.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 12239
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 12:28 PM

Super Tramp:

Phillip S. Brown:

Your method of study seems to be the norm rather than the exception. Most paper version commentaries have always been available for purchase individually. I really wish the publishers would bring that equity to the software version of their commentaries. Even if at the high price of the printed version. The ICC in Logos format is owned by Logos (to my understanding) so no external permission was need to offer individual titles. Many have been recent Daily Deals on Twitter for 50% off. But the NICOT/NICNT and Anchor Yale Bible commentaries are still under copyright and require permissions before Logos could offer individual volumes for sale. To my knowledge neither of these commentaries are offered anywhere by single volume in digital form but are available in paper version.

Like I said; I really wish the publishers would sell individual digital volumes of their commentaries.

Sometimes it seems the publishers rather haphazardly negotiate different contracts with different bible software companies (so it may be worthwile looking around) - e.g. if the publishers are invested into the software co, sometimes it just makes no sense. Maybe it's more often than not the point of two guys meeting under the right circumstances - or not.

Overall, the publishers of course want to max out their profits (which includes not cannibalizing paper books by bible software, which could lead to the impression that they want to be present, but not sell overly much on successful software platforms). Breaking up NICNT would surely sell lots and lots of Romans & Corinthians.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 16 2011 12:57 PM

NewbieMick:
sometimes it just makes no sense. Maybe it's more often than not the point of two guys meeting under the right circumstances - or not.

I think you captured it all in a nutshell. It certainly is non-nonsensical to the outside observer. But if the Romans & Corinthians volume has a much smaller profit margin, the publisher may be using it to carry the lesser demanded volumes. Did I say that correctly? Whatever they do behind closed doors, I am sure it makes sense to them. Even if they are mistaken in predicting the future. All of us here know that digital is the future, and mass marketing at lower prices is better than over-pricing to a miniscule customer base.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS