Commentary on Isaiah

Page 5 of 5 (82 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 81 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 468
BKMitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 20 2011 2:31 AM

RMC:

Another thought - maybe there's something out there that's not specifically a commentary on Isaiah, but instead gives insight into the culture of Israel/ Judah during the reigns of Hezekiah, Uzziah, etc. that would give insight into the context in which Isaiah was written.  I'm wondering if there is anything similar to http://www.logos.com/product/5339/jesus-in-context-background-readings-for-gospel-study, but for the time period that Isaiah is writing to/ about.

Hello RMC,

I haven't been able to locate any resource in Logos similar to what was done for the gospels, but I would recommend that you acquire a general History of  ancient Israel. I have complied a few works from the Logos catalog that may(or may not) be of interest to your pursuit(Note the following are listed in order according to price not importance) :

1. A History of Israel, 3rd ed.  $34.95
  2. Hebrew History (3 vols.) $64.95
  3. The Hebrew Bible: A Socio-Literary Introduction $45.00
  4. Zondervan Illustrated Bible Backgrounds Commentary: Old Testament (5 vols.)   $199.95

I hope others more knowledgeable than I will also attempt to answer this query of yours.

חַפְּשׂוּ בַּתּוֹרָה הֵיטֵב וְאַל תִּסְתַּמְּכוּ עַל דְּבָרַי

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 20 2011 3:33 AM

While looking at 

BKMitchell:
The Hebrew Bible: A Socio-Literary Introduction $45.00

Noticed pre-publication => Fortress Press Hebrew Bible Collection (11 vols.)  that has "The Hebrew Bible: A Brief Socio-Literary Introduction" (412 pages vis 736 pages for complete edition) along with 10 more volumes.

By the way, after searching my Logos library for Isaiah NEAR chronological found The Cambridge Bible has chronological table that includes Sennacherib, with Isaiah's fourth group of prophecies being dated in that time frame.  Found another chronological table in => Commentary on the Prophets of the Old Testament (5 vols.)

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 5 of 5 (82 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS