Best Upgrade from or Christmas spending spree for Scholar's Silver

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 48
Chris Rees | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Dec 22 2011 7:11 AM

Hi All,

I am a full time pastor and a part time MA student doing "Kingdom Theology" at WTC (Westminster Theological Centre) which is part of the New Wine Training Partnership (those in the UK will know New Wine).

I bought LBS 4 Silver in Feb and am looking to upgrade / expand my library with the offers on this Christmas.

Knowing I only utilise a fraction of what LB4 can do, I have committed myself between now and the New Year to watch and 'study' Mark Barnes' very helpful series of teaching vidoes.

Having researched over the last week, I am trying to pin myself down to a number of key areas - sometimes the amount of CHOICE is overwhelming. I should add I am an information freak, always wanting to know the last detail before committing to what must then be THE VERY BEST DEAL!

For church use, I am looking to either expand to Gold, which fills out the OL stuff and adds a couple of commentaries, which would be helpful for sermon prep etc, but then I like the look of the Nelson collection which throws in WBC as well as other books. Seeing as we use the NIV on Sundays, the NIVAC looks tempting

As a student, I would prefer more on the early fathers, creeds etc as well as the possibility of journals to broaden my reading, however, most of the college bibliography tends to be post 1990 and on the Fletcher-Loius (college principal) and NT Wright side of the spectrum.

I am also, via the MA growing a greater appreciation for and desire to learn more about our jewish roots etc.

Budget wise I began by looking at the Platinum upgrade, so I guess upto that (I get 30% as a student)

I trust this help in the giving of advice.

I will happily respond to further questions etc.

With many thanks

Chris Rees

Posts 280
Greg Corbin | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 5:19 PM

Chris,

You are correct that watching Mark Barne's videos will greatly enhance your Logos4 experience. Take the time and do that. As for the Upgrade/new resources question, I will give you my opinion as a fellow pastor who preaches every week.  The Nelson Bible Reference bundle you mentioned is an extremely good value for the money if you can afford it. The Word Biblical commentaries are excellent and will serve you well for decades of study. The other resources in that bundle are very good as well - The Preachers Commentary, several excellent counseling resources, preaching resources, and apologetics. However, the WBC alone is worth the price.  

As for the upgrade to Gold. I did that upgrade earlier this year.  Hands down the most valuable resources you will gain in that upgrade is the UBS OT/NT handbooks. Don't be fooled by the names. These are commentaries on every verse of the Bible and have quickly become one of my most valuable sets. They are rich in language commentary and unique among commentaries. They are excellent and you will use them!!  These commentaries alone are $800 and I have not seen them on sale at all since I have been using Logos4.  Other than this, there isn't much you will gain in the upgrade that you will use every week. However, the UBS handbooks are a great, great tool that you should not take lightly the opportunity to get. 

I have seen the WBC set as low as $399 during sales during the last two years, so if you go with the upgrade, you can still likely snag them later for a really good price. Ultimately, I don't think you will go wrong either way. Dollar for dollar, I feel there is more value for the pastor in resources that will be used regularly in the Nelson Bundle.  However, the upgrade is likely cheaper for you and with it you will get a unique, highly valuable set of commentaries that you will never get any other way other than an upgrade. 

That's my "two cents worth."  Just FYI, after starting out with Scholars, my personal decision was to upgrade as soon as could to Silver and then as soon as a could to Gold. Once I got to Gold, I started strategically adding resources (such as the Nelson bundle, ISBE, etc.) that help to round out my library.  At this time, I do not plan to upgrade to Platinum (even with the very good upgrade deals) because I don't see resources that I will really use in that upgrade. I have made a wish list and will continue to purchase resources as they are on sale, etc. Keep studying and hope this helps you!! 

Posts 3771
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 7:24 PM

I just upgraded from silver to gold. Like, Greg, I did not find the jump to platinum as interesting. The pillar series would have interested me though not necessarily the whole series. I think I will buy the volumes that are worth it separately.

Posts 9539
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2011 8:43 PM

Chris asked this same question in another thread where others have already replied, so others should respond there: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/42545.aspx

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 48
Chris Rees | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 1:28 AM

Mark,

well spotted, as a first post and no bites after 24 hours, I thought maybe I put it in the wrong location. I tried to 'move' or 'delete' the thread, put could not see how to do it, hence the duplication. Thanks for the link across to the 'new' thread.

Thanks to for these and other responses... I guess this thread is now 'closed' Does someone need to do that?

Posts 25349
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2011 1:31 AM

Hi Chris

Chris Rees:
I guess this thread is now 'closed' Does someone need to do that?

Except in vary rare circumstances, threads aren't locked by Logos - they are the only people who can do this

Hopefully people will just stop writing to it!

Graham

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS