Commentaries on the Deuterocanonicals and OT/NT Apocrypha

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Dec 25 2011 9:11 AM

If was surfing around on bestcommentaries.com and one thing led to another, and suddenly I found myself checking out what commentaries actually exist on the Deuterocanonicals and the OT and NT Apocrypha, since this is an area where Logos is still sorely lacking, and since there have been several threads recently wondering about such commentaries. This is what I found:

New volumes in series already in Logos:

The Jewish Apocryphal Literature Series (JELS)

• 7 volumes published between 1950 and 2007 under 6 (sic!) different publisher names. 

The Septuagint Commentary

• A recent Brill series with only 4 volumes out so far, but two of them are on 3-4 Maccabees, and one or two of the contracted ones are on I-II Esdras.

Mercer and Epworth

• Two series with one volume each dedicated to the Apocrypha.

New Testament Readings

• Tiny, very incomplete,1990-ies series with volumes on The Gospel of Thomas and Wisdom of James. Disciple of Jesus the Sage.

The first 3 volumes are, of course, musts.

Does anyone know anything about JELS? If it's good, it should be a must too, since it's a series specially dedicated to the Apocrypha, and since Jewish commentary to Jewish books is always interesting to read (I assume the authors are Jewish?). However, the long publishing period and the many publisher names make me a bit worried.

The Brill series should be interesting as well, if they can be persuaded not to charge their usual outrageous prices.

The rest depends entirely on the quality of the series as a whole -- though the volumes on Thomas and James might be interesting separately, even if the rest of the series isn't, simply because there is so little published. (Personally I wouldn't buy the series, but I might buy the Apocrypha volumes.)

If anyone knows of volumes not mentioned on bestcommentaries.com, please add them below!

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 3:59 PM

I know it's in pre pub but I do want to mention NIB again...

Done by both protestant and catholic scholars fantastic. and now on sale pre pub for a great price.

http://www.logos.com/product/8803/new-interpreters-bible

Covers all books in the Roman catholic bible. I do hope Logos will get more works on the Deuterocanonical books but I would love to get the NIB into publication. If logos can't get this one into publication what chance is there of them looking into other works. 

-dan

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2011 4:13 PM

Definitely Herm's Enoch Similitudes above. You can read how even the Qumranians were hoping for that one (and sorely disappointed).

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 22 2012 2:08 PM

It seems there's a new Hermeneia volume on 2 Maccabees.

Also, there's a Liturgical Press/Augsburg series called New Collegeville Bible Commentary, which also has a new volume on First and Second Maccabees.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2331
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 22 2012 5:14 PM

I agree that there is a shortage on Deuteroncanonical / Apocrypha commentaries.  Here are a few others I've found in Logos:

Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges:

http://www.logos.com/product/8544/the-cambridge-bible-for-schools-and-colleges

Lange's Commentaries does have an Apocryphal volume, but it does not cover all the books.

http://www.logos.com/product/5759/langes-commentary-on-the-holy-scriptures#063

This has been mentioned before, but I would definitely be interested in a Classic Commentary collection for the Apocrypha.

Posts 1495
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 22 2012 6:22 PM

Logos has deSilva's Introducing the Apocrypha: Message, Context, and Significance. I know this is not a commentary, but it is very good.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 5:49 AM

Ronald Quick:
Here are a few others I've found in Logos:

Maybe you missed it, but this thread is in the Suggestions forum. Its purpose is to suggest new books that aren't yet published by Logos.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 8:13 AM

David Ames:
RE fgh "If anyone knows of volumes not mentioned "

Again, this is a Suggestions thread. I was asking for other Apocrypha commentaries that are not in Logos. 

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 9:03 AM

fgh:
other Apocrypha commentaries that are not in Logos

I think the point re the "Speakers Commentary" is quite valid: this is NOT yet in Logos format, though granted Logos have shown an interest in getting it there: but it may never be unless those who suggest that this type of work is valuable actually bid on it and buy it when pubished. Whisper

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 9:43 AM

David J. Wilson:
I think the point re the "Speakers Commentary" is quite valid: this is NOT yet in Logos format

It's in CP, therefore there is no need to suggest it in the Suggestions forum.

David J. Wilson:
it may never be unless those who suggest that this type of work is valuable actually bid on it

Agreed, but the place to drum up support for CP's and prepubs is the General forum, which is directed towards users. Posts in the Suggestions forum are supposed to be directed mainly to those who make the decisions about what to publish in Logos. I'm worried that the more we get off topic, the more likely they are to start skimming the threads rather than reading them properly, and the more likely it gets that they miss actual suggestions, and actual support for suggestions.

(And, btw, just because one supports more Apocrypha commentaries in Logos, one doesn't have to buy every single such commentary, least of all when they're a) very old, and b) a small part of a whole commentary set.)

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 11:33 AM

fgh:

David J. Wilson:
I think the point re the "Speakers Commentary" is quite valid: this is NOT yet in Logos format

It's in CP, therefore there is no need to suggest it in the Suggestions forum.

David J. Wilson:
it may never be unless those who suggest that this type of work is valuable actually bid on it

Agreed, but the place to drum up support for CP's and prepubs is the General forum, which is directed towards users. Posts in the Suggestions forum are supposed to be directed mainly to those who make the decisions about what to publish in Logos. I'm worried that the more we get off topic, the more likely they are to start skimming the threads rather than reading them properly, and the more likely it gets that they miss actual suggestions, and actual support for suggestions.

(And, btw, just because one supports more Apocrypha commentaries in Logos, one doesn't have to buy every single such commentary, least of all when they're a) very old, and b) a small part of a whole commentary set.)

I agree but it can be hard to convince people of somethings worth, I was doing my best to give a complete look at the NewInterpretersBible http://www.logos.com/product/8803/new-interpreters-bible, I did stop at only have done because several people started complaining, which is something I can't see if you know you are not interested don't read the thread. Anyway good luck on getting people interested here..

-Dan

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 11:48 AM

Dan Francis:
I was doing my best to give a complete look at the NewInterpretersBible http://www.logos.com/product/8803/new-interpreters-bible, I did stop at only have done because several people started complaining, which is something I can't see if you know you are not interested don't read the thread. Anyway good luck on getting people interested here..

I wasn't complaining about your attempt to get people interested in the NIBC.  My concern was with the possiblity [probability?] that you were exceeding the legal limits of fair use of copyrighted material.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 1:36 PM

This would be welcome:

fgh:
The Septuagint Commentary

• A recent Brill series [...] on I-II Esdras.
I've requested something like this 5 weeks ago: http://community.logos.com/forums/p/48471/359282.aspx#359282

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 4:40 PM

George Somsel:

Dan Francis:
I was doing my best to give a complete look at the NewInterpretersBible http://www.logos.com/product/8803/new-interpreters-bible, I did stop at only have done because several people started complaining, which is something I can't see if you know you are not interested don't read the thread. Anyway good luck on getting people interested here..

I wasn't complaining about your attempt to get people interested in the NIBC.  My concern was with the possiblity [probability?] that you were exceeding the legal limits of fair use of copyrighted material.

Yes and I wasn't worried, you have to quote close to 25% of a book before there are real legal issues, and also I didn't mean you as a complainer it was others and offending people was not what i was trying to do. It was partly inspired by Abingdon when i hate wrote is there anything to be done to encourage it's production and was told only thing convince others to purchase it. So that is what i attempted to do after it seemed to stall out after it's lowering to a good price.

-Dan

Posts 1495
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 23 2012 6:17 PM

Dan Francis:

Yes and I wasn't worried, you have to quote close to 25% of a book before there are real legal issues, and also I didn't mean you as a complainer it was others and offending people was not what i was trying to do. It was partly inspired by Abingdon when i hate wrote is there anything to be done to encourage it's production and was told only thing convince others to purchase it. So that is what i attempted to do after it seemed to stall out after it's lowering to a good price.

-Dan

I was one of those "others". I actually didn't mind you plugging NIB. The issue was you flooding the forums. You would create a new thread for every entry. I enjoyed reading some of the entries. I like the commentary on the Apocryphal books. I hope that one day it makes it over the line.

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 24 2012 3:22 PM

Yes Josh and your complaint was valid and i started to do one single one that would have all of them, but their were others, i suspect, more conservative theologically who for whatever reason were being offended by the thread, after seeing a couple of complaints i decided rather than getting people upset I would just not continue. Although I have been encouraged to place all the examples in an Evernote book with all the samples in. I will be doing this shortly and posting it so people can have a very fair sampling of all the NIB has to offer.

-Dan

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 24 2012 4:19 PM

Glad the Evernote idea works...when someone asked to post the AYBD on the Pharisees pasting the entire article would have irritated people. Just so you know your other notes remain private. 

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 6 2012 2:55 PM

I have this item as printed matter, since a year:

fgh:
New Testament Readings Wisdom of James. Disciple of Jesus the Sage.
I can say that it's awesome!! It has great references/comparisons to the Apocrypha, including 4 Esdras, 1-2 Enoch, Jubilees, 1 Clem and other ancient litterature both Jewish and Christian. + it also discusses the views of some 20th century theologians. It has an unbiased take and is very insightful. It has some slight typos, but doesn't give the impression of having been written in hurry. It discusses James thinking. I haven't looked into other volumes in the series. Logos seems to release mostly complete series, but for this series I think they should do an exception and release just this one.

Commentary on Apocrypha: http://www.amazon.com/Apocrypha-Oxford-Bible-Commentary/dp/0199650810/ref=sr_1_15?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341621709&sr=1-15&keywords=bible+commentaries+on+apocrypha

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 5,850own
12G A9-9420 V8.3 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 5249
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 7 2012 9:36 PM

Navarre Bible Old Testament, Standard Edition

Has it too i just noticed no one mentioned it, unless i overlooked something skimming through thing s here...

-Dan

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS