ISBE and other advice

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 172
CL | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 30 2011 8:56 PM

Hi again friends!

Okay, so I've just purchased AYBD and Baker's Exegetical on NT. I already have the IVP Dictionary. Would I be wasting my money on using my credit on the ISBE? I have $157.50 in credit.

What are your suggestions for good pick-ups in that price range. Thanks!

CL

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 1:42 AM

I would have thought so. I have the ISBE in hardback but rarely refer to them. Why don't you put the credit towards another commentary set?

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 1:44 AM

I meant to say I have both Anchor and IVP.

The Christmas credit does not expire so you can hold on to it until you have more cash! Smile

Posts 885
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 3:18 AM

What do you mean by IVP dictionary?

Thanks

Paul

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 3:34 AM

Paul Spicer:

Thanks

Paul

Good question. I assumed you meant the IVP Dictionary of series. Do you have them? If not that is what I'd spend my money on! :)

Posts 2759
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 3:44 AM

Paul Spicer:

The Essential IVP Reference Collection http://www.logos.com/product/8588/the-essential-ivp-reference-collection-version-3

IVP Dictionary of the Old Testament Bundle (2 vols.) http://www.logos.com/product/4714/ivp-dictionary-of-the-old-testament-bundle

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 172
CL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 4:20 AM

Hey Mark and Ted - I have the Essential IVP Collection (set of 3).

If you guys think the IVP and AYBD is enough for quality dictionaries, I'll stop there and probably go for another commentary set. Is there a commentary set in $157 price range that you guys would recommend?

Mark, I am also considering just waiting it out until they give a good deal on another commentary set or until I have more money to spend later on.

CL

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 4:42 AM

logosfan:

Hey Mark and Ted - I have the Essential IVP Collection (set of 3).

If you guys think the IVP and AYBD is enough for quality dictionaries, I'll stop there and probably go for another commentary set. Is there a commentary set in $157 price range that you guys would recommend?

Mark, I am also considering just waiting it out until they give a good deal on another commentary set or until I have more money to spend later on.

CL

I am not sure what you could get for that price. Might be best to wait. Getting the OT IVP set might be worthwhile. The best investment I think you could make would be the WBC when it comes on sale. It usually pops up from time to time for about five hundred.

Posts 67
Jim L. West | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 31 2011 7:41 AM

Another perspective if you will? I am at this time reading Scott Hahn's "Kinship by Covenant" in which Hahn speaks of what he sees as the essential connection between "covenant" and "oath". So I did a search in all my Bible dictionaries for the two words. AYBD has no article on "Oath", and in the IVP series only the "Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels" has anything on "Oath", and this only in relationship to Jesus "prohibition" of oaths. ISBE has an extensive article on "Oath". My understanding is that this type of thing happens relatively regularly?(I don't know how often, but, I have seen it before this.) I own all three, and use all three regularly, and all three are very helpful at different times in their own way.

My 2 cents.

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 1 2012 12:32 PM

logosfan:

Hi again friends!

Okay, so I've just purchased AYBD and Baker's Exegetical on NT. I already have the IVP Dictionary. Would I be wasting my money on using my credit on the ISBE? I have $157.50 in credit.

What are your suggestions for good pick-ups in that price range. Thanks!

CL

ISBE is a very different animal, it is very much a word study on the Bible topic being studied in many ways and this is why i like it, it is a very fast way to get started on the lexical background to a topic. If original language study interests you I would say ISBE maybe a good buy for you. 

-dan

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 1 2012 12:42 PM

The IVP OT Dictionary set is good, I would recommend those, and ISBE. I use it regularly, was given the IVP OT Dictionaries on Logos for Christmas...so far they are very good and helpful.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS