Why does it take so long for Logos Mac to index?

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Nov 10 2009 12:29 AM

I downloaded and installed Logos 4 for Windows on VMware and it took about five hours to index. Now, I've downloaded and am indexing Logos 4 for Mac. It reports that it needs another 34:31 to index. I know Logos for Mac is not ready for prime time, but this doesn't make sense to me. If anything, it should index faster in a native format as opposed to a virtual machine. Anyone have any clue why? If not, I thought I would report it here anyhow, so that the Logos techies would know how long it is taking as I think it is generally not practical to have to take two days to index your files. Hopefully a future release will address this! :)

Posts 47
Scott West | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 4:38 AM

I posted a thread on this http://community.logos.com/forums/t/4147.aspx several days ago.

It seems to be a real issue. Since the latest build of A2 my version quits immediately. The indexer runs constantly even using Caffeine and the indexer.log remains at 0 bytes. 

BTW, I use Parallels v5 and Win 7. The indexer took about 5 or so hours but it finished and Logos 4 works great in that world.

Titus 3:5ff

Mac Pro Dual 3.2Ghz Intel Xeon Processors; 14Gb Ram; nVidia 285 GTX 1 Gb Video Ram; 1Tb Main Drive; Parallels 5.0.2; Mac OS X 10.6.3

Titus 3:5-7

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 4:42 AM

Scott West:

I posted a thread on this http://community.logos.com/forums/t/4147.aspx several days ago.

It seems to be a real issue. Since the latest build of A2 my version quits immediately. The indexer runs constantly even using Caffeine and the indexer.log remains at 0 bytes. 

BTW, I use Parallels v5 and Win 7. The indexer took about 5 or so hours but it finished and Logos 4 works great in that world.

I'm going to let it index all of today. If it is still hoovering around 34 hours, then I'll pull the plug on it and forget about trying to contribute to the beta efforts on this version. It just isn't practical to tie my computer up for three days just to index some files!

Posts 47
Scott West | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 9:57 AM

You don't have to wait that long.

You can check the indexer.log file and see if it's doing anything. 

The path is Users>your folder>Library>Application Support>Logos 4>Indexer.log

You can double click the file and it will open in console. Currently mine looks like this.

Note that it is failing at line 1441 of the process. Same line it was failing at the last A2 build. Because of this it's pointless to keep indexing. Since the process runs if the computer is active I let it keep running and failing. It will keep failing until they fix. But I don;t let that stop me from using the machine.

Mac Pro Dual 3.2Ghz Intel Xeon Processors; 14Gb Ram; nVidia 285 GTX 1 Gb Video Ram; 1Tb Main Drive; Parallels 5.0.2; Mac OS X 10.6.3

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 10:11 AM

Scott West:

You don't have to wait that long.

You can check the indexer.log file and see if it's doing anything. 

The path is Users>your folder>Library>Application Support>Logos 4>Indexer.log

I'm getting the same errors that you list above. It has gone down from saying it has 34 hours when I got up this morning to now about 8. I don't know if I should believe it or not.

Anyhow, as I am brand new to L4 for Mac, can anyone tell me how long Alpha 2 has been out and roughly how frequently updates are coming? I hope this is in the next fix. I assume Team Logos reads these forums do they?!? :)

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 10:21 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
Anyhow, as I am brand new to L4 for Mac, can anyone tell me how long Alpha 2 has been out and roughly how frequently updates are coming? I hope this is in the next fix. I assume Team Logos reads these forums do they?!? :)
It was released for us on Nov 2nd.

Bob says we can expect updates every couple weeks.

The new way Logos set-up the discliamer page is making it hard to link to directly, so here it is on my blog

http://www.morethancake.org/2009/11/bible-study-reimagined-for-your-mac.html

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 10:34 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:
I'm going to let it index all of today. If it is still hoovering around 34 hours, then I'll pull the plug on it and forget about trying to contribute to the beta efforts on this version. It just isn't practical to tie my computer up for three days just to index some files!

Donovan,

I wouldn't give up on the beta completely, but maybe let them roll out a few versions before jumping back in. I imagine indexing issues are getting a lot of attention so I am hopeful that we will soon see real improvement in this area. 

I'm having some of the same problems as you. For me, on one machine indexing finished overnight. On another, I can't get it to finish, it currently says something like 35+ hours.

Posts 19
Jonas Hearus | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 10 2009 3:10 PM

I am getting the same indexing error for line 1441 mentioned above.  The time remaining seems to just be standing still and occassionally bumping up a little higher.  Does this mean I have to start all over?  How do I prevent this from happening again?

Posts 9
Ken | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 6:16 AM

I would have to agree with Donovan. I do not have the time to index for days, the download alone for my library took 9 hours. I did that first on the Mac beta, which probably was not wise because the product is so far from being finished....and then I did it again through Virtualbox in Windows...so...I upgraded my library on Sunday, but I have yet to see Logos 4 run  because of two days of downloads, 3 days of index, and still more indexing on the Windows side.

Does anyone know a time frame for the final Mac release? To be honest, I am still waiting for the Mac release on the version 3 product, but my understanding is that is a dead project at this point....just never got close to the capability on the Windows side.

I will continue to walk with patience, I love the video of Logos 4, can't wait to see it up and running on either my Windows virtual system or my Mac.

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 8:08 AM

KennethZuk:
Does anyone know a time frame for the final Mac release? To be honest, I am still waiting for the Mac release on the version 3 product, but my understanding is that is a dead project at this point....just never got close to the capability on the Windows side.

It is a dead project, but Logos has said that they plan to release a way for you to read any new resources that you may have purchased in your upgrade to L4 with the old 1.2.2 engine.

I am under the impression that the install goes a lot faster if you have the DVD and don't have to download all the files. That doesn't help you now.  And it's worse for Mac users who use Windows as well, because the resources aren't shared, so we have to download them twice!

Posts 9
Ken | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 12 2009 10:28 PM

THanks for the reply.

Any ideas then on how quickly this Alpha/Beta process will be before we see a functional Logos 4 for Mac?

I just download Alpha 3, indexing again (sigh), but the app still does not seem to have much functionality for Bible study.

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 3:25 AM

KennethZuk:

Any ideas then on how quickly this Alpha/Beta process will be before we see a functional Logos 4 for Mac?

I just download Alpha 3, indexing again (sigh), but the app still does not seem to have much functionality for Bible study.

Pragmatically, I'm not expecting to fully use and abuse it for at least six months. That's my opinion and should not be taken as anything other than a guess. Fortunately, L4 Windows is running very well under Fusion for me.

Posts 4
David Sholar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 3:34 AM

Hi Donovan - I too am running L4 on Fusion 3.0.  But it does run pretty slow for me.  Would you let me know what Fusion settings work best for you?  Mine is currently sent for 1Gig of Ram.  (using Macbook Pro with total of 4g).  Thanks much.

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 3:41 AM

DavidSholar:
Hi Donovan - I too am running L4 on Fusion 3.0.  But it does run pretty slow for me.  Would you let me know what Fusion settings work best for you?  Mine is currently sent for 1Gig of Ram.  (using Macbook Pro with total of 4g).  Thanks much.

There are people on these forums that know more than I do about Fusion, but from what I have gathered from them, you need 2GB of RAM.  My settings are:

• Bare bones XP installed on a new Fusion 3.0 machine. There are speed improvements that you only get by creating a new machine on Fusion 3.0, as opposed to using a machine created on Fusion 2.x.
  • Under your fusion settings for the XP machine, you need 2 GB of Ram and plenty of drive space allocated. I have 80GB allocated.  Jack has allocated more.  Some suggest using the pre-allocating space option, but I haven't seen any difference.  You can try both.
  • Under settings of your fusion machine, turn off graphics acceleration.
  • On XP, on advanced settings for your video, turn graphics acceleration down to minimum (one step above off)
  • You can, if you wish, once Logos is running to run Task Manager and assign "High Prioriety" to the application. I haven't seen any improvement in my case because I am not really running anything else on XP other than antivirus, so this is probably why it makes no difference.

HTH.

Donovan

Posts 10804
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 3:59 AM

Donovan R. Palmer:

There are people on these forums that know more than I do about Fusion, but from what I have gathered from them, you need 2GB of RAM.  My settings are:

• Bare bones XP installed on a new Fusion 3.0 machine. There are speed improvements that you only get by creating a new machine on Fusion 3.0, as opposed to using a machine created on Fusion 2.x.
  • Under your fusion settings for the XP machine, you need 2 GB of Ram and plenty of drive space allocated. I have 80GB allocated.  Jack has allocated more.  Some suggest using the pre-allocating space option, but I haven't seen any difference.  You can try both.
  • Under settings of your fusion machine, turn off graphics acceleration.
  • On XP, on advanced settings for your video, turn graphics acceleration down to minimum (one step above off)
  • You can, if you wish, once Logos is running to run Task Manager and assign "High Prioriety" to the application. I haven't seen any improvement in my case because I am not really running anything else on XP other than antivirus, so this is probably why it makes no difference.

I can't add much to the excellent summary Donovan provided, but I will add a few remarks. I am still using Fusion 2, and the performance is acceptable. I would not pre-allocate disk space; it does not increase the speed, and it needlessly ties up disk space. I did not find that assigning "High Priority" in the Windows Task Manager increased the speed of L4. Rather, I had a ghost following my cursor. Like Donovan, I am only running L4 and anti-virus software, so there is really nothing to take processor time from (bad grammar, but then, I am American, and we seem to make our own rules for the Queen's English Big Smile).

Jack

Posts 114
Steve Hultquist | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 12:17 PM

I downloaded A3 today and it's indexing (again). My big issue is how much of my processor it takes in doing that indexing. I would expect indexing to control the amount of CPU it uses to a reasonable amount...

Posts 844
Dewayne Davis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 12:58 PM

Donovan R. Palmer:
Under your fusion settings for the XP machine, you need 2 GB of Ram and plenty of drive space allocated

I read somewhere to allocate 1.3G of RAM. I have 4G in my Macbook and assigned 1.3G to the Fusion 2.06 VM. I have no complaints and feel it is optimal. I think it ran worse when I allocated 2G to the VM.

“... every day in which I do not penetrate more deeply into the knowledge of God’s Word in Holy Scripture is a lost day for me. I can only move forward with certainty upon the firm ground of the Word of God.”

Posts 1955
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 1:24 PM

Dewayne Davis:
I read somewhere to allocate 1.3G of RAM. I have 4G in my Macbook and assigned 1.3G to the Fusion 2.06 VM. I have no complaints and feel it is optimal. I think it ran worse when I allocated 2G to the VM

I'll try 1.3 to see what happens here.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 1:41 PM

Steve Hultquist:
I downloaded A3 today and it's indexing (again). My big issue is how much of my processor it takes in doing that indexing. I would expect indexing to control the amount of CPU it uses to a reasonable amount...
Hi Steve, the expectation is reasonable, but not in Alpha.  During the Beta testing for L4windows, we went through the same thing.  As the program was stabalized, the developers were able to make huge improvements (at least 40% improvement between Beta 1 and Beta 7).  So I imagine we will get there with the Mac version as well.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 146
Ross Strader | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 13 2009 8:29 PM

Joe,

How does the current Alpha compare to the Beta you tested, i.e. Beta 1?

Is Alpha behind where the Beta was when you first saw it?

(I understand generally the Alpha-Beta process... I'm just trying to get a sense of how behind the Alpha is to a Beta product)

Thanks,

Ross

MacBook Pro 15' Retina  •  2.7 GHz Intel Core i7  •  16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3  •  Version 10.10

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS