Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges (21 vols.)

Page 3 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 64 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:30 AM

my bid has been at 28$, you want me to lower it? I Sleepwould Stick out tongue like to have these........

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 61
Jason Brueckner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:56 AM

What needs done to lower this CP price? I bid $80 in like Oct or something.

Posts 982
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 7:58 AM

Eric Weiss:

What's appalling?

Sigh Sad Basically the apparent inability of some people to grasp what is really a simple concept. It is depressing that there are still a number of people bidding in the CP marketplace who clearly just do not understand how it works, or at least how to get the best deal from the process.

By taking the product over the line on a Wednesday morning we are left with only two days to try and drive the price down. Had whoever made the bid this morning waited for just 8 hours and placed their bid after 3pm Eastern Time instead, we would have a full nine days to drive the price down.

It is a missed opportunity to turn a good deal into a great one.

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:03 AM

David Carter:

Sigh Sad Basically the apparent inability of some people to grasp what is really a simple concept. It is depressing that there are still a number of people bidding in the CP marketplace who clearly just do not understand how it works, or at least how to get the best deal from the process.

By taking the product over the line on a Wednesday morning we are left with only two days to try and drive the price down. Had whoever made the bid this morning waited for just 8 hours and placed their bid after 3pm Eastern Time instead, we would have a full nine days to drive the price down.

It is a missed opportunity to turn a good deal into a great one.

But David, weren't you one of the ones who increased their bid before today? Therefore you helped this go over. I've had my bid at the peak for a long time, but when I saw it was close, I lowered my bid to slow it down. Had you kept yours low, and had others lowered their bids to delay this, we would have had that time. 

Posts 61
Jason Brueckner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:09 AM

So there's nothing I can do ... ?

Hm.

Posts 11178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:10 AM

Jason ... the only thing now is for (1) people below $26-28 to increase their bids or (2) more people join the party and bid on the resource.

Everyone ABOVE the $28 is already included in the calculation; they need do (and can do) nothing to reduce the price.

I can guarantee, if someone does much work in greek, that if they miss this CP window, they'll be searching for a mirror for someone to blame.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:16 AM

Glad I saw this thread, I almost missed out on this! I really need to start cutting back, but these CP deals are just too good.

Posts 22
Chris White | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:20 AM

I think many of us understand the community pricing model perfectly.  I bid for a price I'm willing to pay and if enough people do the same then resources will be made available in the Logos format for a fraction of the cost that it would take to acquire them through other means.  To that end, if I bed $28 for a resource that I want then I'm doing what I need to.

This constant hand-wringing over when we place our bids drives me crazy.  Let's not try to manipulate the process any more than we need do.  Let's just be happy that a resource will be made available.  From my perspective, if this is a resource I want (and it is since I bid on it) then I want it as soon as possible.  I understand encouraging people to bid as a means to lower the price, but let's not get so legalistic that we start telling people WHEN they should bid.  Let's just be happy that we're getting a great resource at an affordable price.  I won't complain if I pay $28 vs. $20. 

As someone that's taking Introductory Greek this semester, and will be taking intermediate over the summer, and then advanced exegesis in the fall I'm just happy this will be available to me!

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:29 AM

Chris White:

I think many of us understand the community pricing model perfectly.  I bid for a price I'm willing to pay and if enough people do the same then resources will be made available in the Logos format for a fraction of the cost that it would take to acquire them through other means.  To that end, if I bed $28 for a resource that I want then I'm doing what I need to.

This constant hand-wringing over when we place our bids drives me crazy.  Let's not try to manipulate the process any more than we need do.  Let's just be happy that a resource will be made available.  From my perspective, if this is a resource I want (and it is since I bid on it) then I want it as soon as possible.  I understand encouraging people to bid as a means to lower the price, but let's not get so legalistic that we start telling people WHEN they should bid.  Let's just be happy that we're getting a great resource at an affordable price.  I won't complain if I pay $28 vs. $20. 

As someone that's taking Introductory Greek this semester, and will be taking intermediate over the summer, and then advanced exegesis in the fall I'm just happy this will be available to me!

No-one's forcing you to do whatever you want. But don't begrudge the rest of us trying to use the process to our greater benefit. Maybe you have a lot of spare cash to throw around, but I don't, and saving $8 on this actually would have been worth it for me and for others. All that people on here are doing are making others aware of how their choices affect the process, so that they can decide whether it's worth holding on to their bid for a few more hours or not. And an eight hour delay on this would not have made any substantial difference to the production time. 

Posts 982
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:47 AM

Dean053:

But David, weren't you one of the ones who increased their bid before today?

Yes I did Dean - or is it Mr 053? Big Smile But I increased my bid on Saturday, hoping it would have taken it over the top at the weekend -  which would have given us and Logos the best part of a full week to promote and potentially drive the price down. Prior to Saturday I had a bid of $24 which I had placed many many months ago.

At the end of the day, people are clearly free to bid what they want, when they want. It is just disappointing we missed an opportunity for an even better price.

That being said, I am pleased that at long last we have crossed the finishing line! Big Smile

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 8:53 AM

David Carter:

Yes I did Dean - or is it Mr 053? Big Smile But I increased my bid on Saturday, hoping it would have taken it over the top at the weekend -  which would have given us and Logos the best part of a full week to promote and potentially drive the price down. Prior to Saturday I had a bid of $24 which I had placed many many months ago.

At the end of the day, people are clearly free to bid what they want, when they want. It is just disappointing we missed an opportunity for an even better price.

That being said, I am pleased that at long last we have crossed the finishing line! Big Smile

Indeed Yes

I do hope we all get the hang of this though by the time something really expensive goes over the top!

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 9:10 AM

In all fairness, since we got the Perseus Collection for free, that if I had to pay more than what I have currently bid, I would have no objections....

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 22
Chris White | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 9:11 AM

Dean053:

No-one's forcing you to do whatever you want. But don't begrudge the rest of us trying to use the process to our greater benefit. Maybe you have a lot of spare cash to throw around, but I don't, and saving $8 on this actually would have been worth it for me and for others. All that people on here are doing are making others aware of how their choices affect the process, so that they can decide whether it's worth holding on to their bid for a few more hours or not. And an eight hour delay on this would not have made any substantial difference to the production time. 

Nope, I don't have a lot of spare cash to throw around.  Like many I'm trying to manage the resources God has granted me, and do so in a responsible manner.  I'm thankful for the CP program, and the ability to purchase items at a fraction of what they would otherwise cost.  And I appreciate the efforts many on this forum have made on educating new users of Logos not only on the benefits of the CP model, but how to use it. 

I remember seeing more than one post over the past several months urging folks to consider this resource.  And once it finally does go over the top the response is, "yeah, but you should've waited 8 hours".  Huh?  And I get the fact that 2 days vs. 8 days can make a difference in terms of getting a price down.  And I also get that any amount of savings is benefecial.  But again, if you had agreed to pay $28 for this then I would think you would be happy getting it for $28 and anything else is gravy.  #firstworldproblems

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 9:18 AM

I noticed that this set now has $1 increments. That could actually save us all a dollar or two.

Some have mentioned that the final phase should last at least a week. That might help with some resources, but probably would not normally make a big difference. These resources have been listed for months or even years. Normally Logos sends out an email to those whose bids fall short. We know they have 48 hours to respond. We know that we have to move quickly if we want to bid higher to insure getting that resource. If there is a longer time, human nature is to put it off and then the likely of forgetting increases.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 9:21 AM

Eric Weiss:

David Carter:

Eric Weiss:

Hurray! Finally! 

It's not hurray when someone puts a CP over the top on a Wednesday morning! Appalling timing

What's appalling? The price can still go down. And even if it goes up to $30 or $50 (which it can't) it's a good deal.

Observation: currently a difference of a few hours on Wednesday changes closing time by a week.  If 100 % reached before Noon in Bellingham on a Wednesday, then closing is that Friday.  If 100 % reached after Noon, then closing is on the following Friday (9 days later).

- - - - - - -

Also noticed Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges (21 vols.) bid increment has changed to $ 1 so more bids can reduce final price for all bidders: already close to $ 27

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 9:32 AM

$28 for 21 volumes seems a fantastic deal to me!  I'm all in favour of manipulation to try to get revelation down from $160 to $50, but I really don't have a problem to pay $1.3333333333 per volume for this  one!  I'm just grateful to get it into production at a price that, if I remember rightly, is lower than I would have paid for it on prepub.

Posts 112
Brooks Cochran | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 1:49 PM

Another work that some may be interested in checking out is the McClintock-Strong set at $50.

http://www.logos.com/product/8519/cyclopaedia-of-biblical-theological-and-ecclesiastical-literature

I realize that the set is dated...but for the money/value and wealth of information it is well worth the money.

Posts 982
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 1:58 PM

nicky crane:

$28 for 21 volumes seems a fantastic deal to me!

Even more fantastic - it's $27 now Yes

Posts 61
Jason Brueckner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 3:00 PM

Yes

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 29 2012 5:11 PM

David Carter:

nicky crane:

$28 for 21 volumes seems a fantastic deal to me!

Even more fantastic - it's $27 now Yes

Appears $ 26 is close to 100 % =>  Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges (21 vols.)  along with top of dots for $ 25 and $ 24 touching 100 % line so more bids by Logos users could reduce final price for all bidders.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 3 of 4 (65 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS