Easy selection of multiple words of text

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Tim Becker | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 19 2012 12:58 PM

I want to select multiple words of text in a book. Precisely positioning the mouse at the beginning of the first word and the end of the last word is a somewhat difficult and error prone user interface task. This is why many programs provide a feature where a double click anywhere in a word selects the entire word and then entire words continue to be selected until the mouse button is released. I haven't figured out how to do something equivalent in Logos 4. Am I missing it? For what it's worth, I'm encountering this problem while trying to quickly highlight text in a book. I know about the keyboard shortcut to highlight the selected text, but I'm looking for a better way to select the text.

Thanks!

Tim

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 1:09 PM

Timothy Becker:
This is why many programs provide a feature where a double click anywhere in a word selects the entire word and then entire words continue to be selected until the mouse button is released. I haven't figured out how to do something equivalent in Logos 4. Am I missing it?

Welcome Big Smile

Using Logos 4.5 RC 1, I have selected a word by a right click on the word, then clicked desired highlighting.  Logos 4.5 combines Highlighting and Notes, so applied Highlighting appears in a Note file, which has highlighting palette name.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5571
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 1:09 PM

Timothy Becker:

I want to select multiple words of text in a book. Precisely positioning the mouse at the beginning of the first word and the end of the last word is a somewhat difficult and error prone user interface task. This is why many programs provide a feature where a double click anywhere in a word selects the entire word and then entire words continue to be selected until the mouse button is released. I haven't figured out how to do something equivalent in Logos 4. Am I missing it? For what it's worth, I'm encountering this problem while trying to quickly highlight text in a book. I know about the keyboard shortcut to highlight the selected text, but I'm looking for a better way to select the text.

Thanks!

Tim

Welcome to the forums Tim!

I'm not having the difficulty you describe, though the difference might be mouse vs. touchpad, or mouse movement speed.

But to answer your question, there is one thing that works, in that it selects the first (or last) word of a selection reliably: right-click on the word. This will bring up a dialog, but if you simply click elsewhere (after or before) in text, while holding down the Shift key, you can select from there. If the dialog blocks the region you want to select, just click somewhere you can see, leave the shift key down, and when the dialog box goes away, click to the end (beginning) of your desired selection.

This isn't a method I use a lot, since as I said, selecting with the mouse hasn't been a problem for me. But it works.

I have noticed (more on my laptop which has a touchpad) that occasionally an unwanted portion of text gets selected, when I wasn't even trying to select anything. A right-click will clear that out of the way too.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 5571
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 1:11 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Logos 4.5 combines Highlighting and Notes, so applied Highlighting appears in a Note file, which has highlighting palette name.

Note that 4.5 is still in beta testing (RC1 came out yesterday), so you won't see this until Logos makes 4.5 available and you upgrade to that version (unless you decide to try the beta). This update should be in the next couple of weeks (my guess).

EDIT: clarified this point even further.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 1:18 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
Note that 4.5 is still in beta testing (RC1 came out yesterday), so you won't see this until Logos makes 4.5 available and you upgrade to that version (unless you decide to try the beta).

Looking at 4.5 Release Candidate 1 (4.50.0.1843) available noticed Logos 4.5 RC is considered a stable version.

If use set update channel to beta command to upgrade.  After upgrade, could use set update channel to default command to receive future 4.5 releases, including Gold stable and service releases.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 5571
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 19 2012 1:27 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Richard DeRuiter:
Note that 4.5 is still in beta testing (RC1 came out yesterday), so you won't see this until Logos makes 4.5 available and you upgrade to that version (unless you decide to try the beta).

Looking at 4.5 Release Candidate 1 (4.50.0.1843) available noticed Logos 4.5 RC is considered a stable version.

If use set update channel to beta command to upgrade.  After upgrade, could use set update channel to default command to receive future 4.5 releases, including Gold stable and service releases.

Keep Smiling Smile

KS4J, I do not recommend anyone install a beta (including an RC) without reading the beta warning here.

A release candidate (RC) is still considered a beta and may not be completely reliable (some RC's have introduced problems fixed by later RC's). The beta program is not recommended for those for whom access to Logos4 is critical and/or do not have a second computer or second installation with a stable release.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS