Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 24 Replies | 6 Followers

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2012 12:04 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
Do you have any original language tools for OT. It does more than offer bible and commentary reading if you have those tools. If not then I can understand why you say that. Also one thing they can do that I couldn't do reliably for man months ... Sync notes, highlights bookmarks and reading plans.

I have BHS/NA27 and BHS-Parsed, LXX-Parsed and GNT-Mounce-Koivisto. That allows me to click on lemmas, get parsing and do a dictionary lookup. But the UI for this is clunky (to me, at least). It seems I'm left with non-resizeable pop-windows with definitions, for example. And I can't imagine doing original language study with only two panels available! It feels like an iPad app not a proper desktop application. I genuinely prefer working on BibleReader iPad than BibleReader PC.

The Resource Guide is not working for me (it says "no results to display"). Maybe it it was working there would be more to see.

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 26 2012 12:05 PM

Steve:
Say what you will, but I like that better of promises of "soon" for a year

Yes, I agree. Better to promise little and over-deliver than to promise much and fall short.

Posts 2805
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2012 6:47 AM

Jonathan:

Steve:

When all we have gotten from Logos is "soon" for almost a year, OT has said, "here it is"

And how long has OT had a desktop app to go with the mobile highlighting?

I'm not trying to come across as a Logos "fanboy" here, but I think its kind of unreasonable to compare Logos with a company that has operated largely outside of the desktop market for nearly two decades. OT is in nearly an identical situation to Logos, only in reverse. OT stayed outside the desktop market for years, only to finally get back into the desktop market in Nov. 2011. Logos, on the other hand, has been all desktop until Nov. 2009. And since they moved into the mobile market they have been working feverishly to bring all of the requested features to iOS. They moved from L3 to L4 during this time, and have been desperately trying to hire new developers.

I understand wanting highlighting, but OT is not producing (IMO) a fully featured desktop app AND mobile sync. Within days, Logos will be offering both. And this being a mere 3 months behind a OT Mac desktop program, and only weeks behind a OT Windows desktop program.

That's the point. What Logos, who has years and years of experience doing, couldn't do OT did in a few months. Logos can't sync properly your desktop and mobile notes, highlights and reading plan. Olive Tree can. Logos has been producing a desktop program for two decades. OT less than a year. With reading plans the problem was clearly with the desktop software. I had no problems at all till I accessed my reading plan on the desktop. Then it went berserk and hasn't worked properly since. I used it ever day on my iPhone and IPad without any problems. The desktop was the problem and they have far more experience than OT on that platform and still couldn't fix it in a timely way.

Posts 2805
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2012 6:48 AM

Mark Barnes:
The Resource Guide is not working for me (it says "no results to display"). Maybe it it was working there would be more to see.

Then you should get in touch with OT unless you just don't care. It works great for me.

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 27 2012 8:42 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
Logos can't sync properly your desktop and mobile notes, highlights and reading plan. Olive Tree can. Logos has been producing a desktop program for two decades. OT less than a year. With reading plans the problem was clearly with the desktop software

Actually, the problem was scalability and with erratic internet connections. It's quite possible the Sync system Logos designed would work with the volume of users that OliveTree has (and Logos attempted to sync much more data much more often than OT). Most of the work on sync v2 has been on the server, not the desktop, nor the mobile device.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/5923/321264.aspx#321264

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS