Credit Card needed for free download?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 3
Richard W Stephens | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 20 2012 10:28 PM

I clicked a button to take advantage of a "Free Book of the Month" offer only to be asked for an update of my credit card information which had expired since my last order.   It would not let me continue past that point in the ordering process.  I am puzzled why I have to give my credit information for a "free" offer since I have active account with Logos and they know who I am.

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 11:28 PM

Logos is far from the only company to have this......it might be something in the online ordering software....Just about every company I have dealt with ever has had this little snafu.....I just keep a current card on file...

Sorry for being kinda abrupt.....Welcome to the forums.  We love these questions.....keep them coming....Logos is truly a wonderful gift of God

Posts 117
Dennis Parish | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 20 2012 11:30 PM

Welcome to the Logos forum Richard.

This issue often comes up. I am pasting two comments from another thread on this topic (the first is from a Logos employee, the other a long time user). Hope this helps. If you have further questions I suggest emailing Logos sales or customer support.

------------------------------------------

smithereens Replied: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:03 AM

Michael,

Gonna jump in here quickly to thank you (and everyone else who's posted) for the feedback!

Just want to let you know that the cc requirement is really a back-end, software issue, not something we intentionally impose on our customers. It's something we're looking at but, at the moment, have been unable to fix. Please know the info is safe, never used without permission, etc.

Again, thanks for the feedback! It's always great to hear our customers' perspectives...something we genuinely need in order to keep improving our software and user experience, so people can get back to the ever-important Bible studying. 

Quick Reply
Posts 4,390 Forum MVP
Reply More
Super Tramp Replied: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:16 PM

Bobby Terhune: I have talked to the accounting department in the past about the credit card info stored on their computers. They told me they don't have access to your complete card information because of security reasons, all they can see are what you can see if you pull up your account information, the last 4 digits of the card.

That is all true and correct. Anytime I deal with the human side of sales I have to provide the missing info. 

For a few years I have used  a PayPal card and other bank debit cards for online transactions. I just keep the account balances at a dollar or two and only move funds into it immediately before I use the card. I have been a victim of check forgeries on two occasions but never identity theft or unauthorized card charges.

Logos offers enough free downloads each year to justify getting a VISA cash card or dedicated debit card. I have downloaded a John Piper book, a John MacArthur book, several other free books and lots of very cheap ones.  I would not want to miss out on them just because I had no credit card.

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 10:02 AM

I like the idea of having a dedicated card for Logos.  I reactivated an old credit card I had just for this purpose.  I put quite a bit of paid orders on the card b/c the interest is usually at a better rate than the Logos $5/month plan (though not always).  But, it's a good move even if you aren't ever planning on buying a paid resource.

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 3
Richard W Stephens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 1:51 PM

Thanks for the detailed reply Dennis!   I suspect, as several have suggested, that this is just an indication of how the billing software was built and which amy even be from an external vendor so that changing the features would not be fully under Logos control.   I was not overly worried, just puzzled since I have been to several sites who do not require a cc number for free items.

Posts 3
Richard W Stephens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 2:04 PM

Thanks William.    I suspect you are right about it being "something in the online ordering software".   I also have seen several companies do the same thing and require a cc for free items.  However, I have also dealt with companies that require nothing more than an email address so I know there is a choice as to features when selecting an online ordering software vendor.  I have actually not patronized a few companies because of this feature.  Logos has such great products (and their customer service reps are 2nd to none) that it merely caused me puzzlement in this case.  

Also thanks for the welcome to the forum!

Posts 1145
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 21 2012 4:02 PM

Thanks for the personal reply.  That was very kind.

william

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS