Mormon Studies Collection

Page 1 of 12 (224 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 223 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:17 PM

http://www.logos.com/product/16021/mormon-studies-collection

On community pricing.

Oh my word!

How cool is this, where else but Logos could you get such a marvelous resource without any risk that a penny will go to the LDS.

This is really exiting. 

Posts 1564
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:20 PM

Yes

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:21 PM

Let's pick a low price and all go in together at that price point, so we can keep this from getting out of hand. Right now the projected price is right at the higher end of the spectrum, but it's early in the game so a few low bids could change that.

I bid $25. I could go up to $30 but I don't think more than that. What saith the hivemind?

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:23 PM

me in @ $35.  once a "go", it should go down $5 or $10.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:24 PM

Mitchell Ebbott:

Let's pick a low price and all go in together at that price point, so we can keep this from getting out of hand. Right now the projected price is right at the higher end of the spectrum, but it's early in the game so a few low bids could change that.

I bid $25. I could go up to $30 but I don't think more than that. What saith the hivemind?

The lower the better but if people always lowball it will never move into production, my personal view is that a realistic price is anywhere over $50. Just look at what you are getting here.

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:25 PM

I see this as very useful, for apologetics.

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:41 PM

Mike Pettit:

The lower the better but if people always lowball it will never move into production, my personal view is that a realistic price is anywhere over $50. Just look at what you are getting here.

Point taken but if you look at the spectrum they offer, this is one of the lower prices set to produce (which makes sense, if my assumption is correct that these works don't often directly reference Scripture or other Logos-offered books). Generally if something starts peaking around 1/3 of the way up the scale it will make it into production. Especially for something like this where it's all public domain, you're not going to get a lot of "sure, why not" bids at $50.

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:45 PM

Mitchell Ebbott:

Point taken but if you look at the spectrum they offer, this is one of the lower prices set to produce (which makes sense, if my assumption is correct that these works don't often directly reference Scripture or other Logos-offered books).

I would think that these works will reference the book of Mormon extensively (which will itself form part of this collection) which presumbably will have to be referenced, hopefully we will find out soon. It will be rather fun wondering which book of Mormon to prioritize, I never thought I would be saying that. 

Posts 10559
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:52 PM

Was hoping to see "Mormon Doctrine" by Bruce McConkie (sp), but it is probably still in copyright.

In at $30

Posts 81
Smiling Guy | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 2:03 PM

Mike Pettit:

http://www.logos.com/product/16021/mormon-studies-collection

On community pricing.

Oh my word!

How cool is this, where else but Logos could you get such a marvelous resource without any risk that a penny will go to the LDS.

This is really exiting. 

I know!! The minute I saw the post flash on my newsreader, I rushed to the forums to post in excitement! I really want to see this get published soon, it would be an amazingly helpful resource for my almost daily conversations with LDS here. I am in at $30 (the current suggested price.) Let's see if we can't get this pushed through fast!

Macbook Pro  |  OSX 10.6.8  |  2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 |  4 GB Ram  |  320 GB HDD

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 2:06 PM

Overview

At the turn of nineteenth-century came America's second Great Awakening. Out of the ashes of this second awakening arose what would eventually become one of America's largest and somewhat controversial churches, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"...and somewhat controversial..." Indifferent

Only somewhat...?  Overall description and book descriptions are too modest IMO and may cause some to think Logos is legitimizing Mormonism.

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 2:08 PM

J. Morris:

Overview

At the turn of nineteenth-century came America's second Great Awakening. Out of the ashes of this second awakening arose what would eventually become one of America's largest and somewhat controversial churches, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

"...and somewhat controversial..." Indifferent

Only somewhat...?  Overall description and book descriptions are too modest IMO and may cause some to think Logos is legitimizing Mormonism.

It does come with a disclaimer:

NOTE: Logos Bible Software does not endorse the teachings in the Mormon Studies Collection. TheMormon Studies Collection is another tool for research within your library—especially for apologetics and comparative studies. Logos strives to carry texts that will allow you to better study the Word of God.

Posts 236
Steve Clevenger | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 2:21 PM

@ $25 

Posts 134
L.D. Young | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 2:45 PM

I'm in at $30.

Posts 55
J Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 3:11 PM

I’m impressed that Logos would be willing to put up the Book of Mormon for sale. I hope that with this set of reference books that people will read the whole verse from the Book of Mormon, or sermon, from the Journal of Discourses, and not the little blurb that they might read from a book that is against the LDS church.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 3:55 PM

J Hale:
I hope that with this set of reference books that people will read the whole verse from the Book of Mormon, or sermon, from the Journal of Discourses, and not the little blurb that they might read from a book that is against the LDS church.

I have always found it helpful to go directly to the source material when trying to discover what is really said. Not all critics are informed or honest.. (This goes for any controversial discussions.)

I have owned the Journal of Discourses as well as D&C, Pearl of Great Price, and Book of Mormon in my digital library for a few years. It will be nice to have much of the material in my Logos library. 

edit:  I am in for $20 to start  $30   and will raise it as necessary near closing.  

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 264
Michael G. Halpern | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 4:48 PM

Yes

Posts 2408
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 7:42 PM

Yes, to learn more about what this “somewhat controversial church” says in its own words.

This collection contains
The Book of Mormon [1830, 1921], The Doctrine and Covenants of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints [1918], and The Pearl of Great Price [1878].  Logos might want to try contacting this church to see if they will allow Logos to also add the current versions of those resources. 

This is a large church, 14.1 million members – They have a large library that could use the technology of Logos 4. 

[they also already have their 'Scriptures' in E-book formats]

Also the somewhat controversial "Mormon Doctrine" by Bruce McConkie had its initial publication in 1959 [still in (c)]

Posts 117
Dennis Parish | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 8:01 PM

And a big thanks to Peter Cellini Big Smile

Posts 1497
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 10:06 PM

Dennis Parish:

And a big thanks to Peter Cellini Big Smile

Maybe he should have suggested a Mormon base package.

Page 1 of 12 (224 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS