Mormon Studies Collection

Page 9 of 12 (224 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last »
This post has 223 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 31 2012 7:44 AM

Andrew Baguley:
Stoking the fires of controversy again, George?

I don't stoke anything since I don't even have a shovel to stoke with.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 31 2012 8:08 AM

George Somsel:
I'm not convinced that the Mormons are that bad.  Yes, they have an extra book and some strange ideas, but how does that make them so very different from dispensationalists?

How is that not engaging in theological debate?

Andrew Baguley:
I suspect that the low number of bids reflects the low number of Mormons who use Logos and the low number of people who are not Mormons but can see the usefulness in having this set.

Fairly narrow interest (among Logos' customers) CP's like Catholic ones tend to go for $3-6/volume.

Really popular ones can go around $1/volume.

You're trying to get a very narrow interest bundle through CP at $0.67/volume! Possibly the lowest we've ever seen. There's no way that's going to succeed in the next 2-5 years unless you find someone to walk the streets of Salt Lake City and get people to bid on the spot. At that price even getting as far as you have must have taken a considerable amount of bidders.

Those of you who really want this should move your bids to the far right. That's still less than $2/volume. I'd be delighted if the CP's I want went for that.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 31 2012 8:26 AM

fgh:
unless you find someone to walk the streets of Salt Lake City

You're recommending that we resort to street walkers?  Wink  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 31 2012 8:50 AM

George Somsel:
Yes, they have an extra book and some strange ideas, but how does that make them so very different from dispensationalists?

Now that's funny Big Smile

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 846
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 31 2012 8:53 AM

Paul Golder:

George Somsel:
Yes, they have an extra book and some strange ideas, but how does that make them so very different from dispensationalists?

Big SmileBig Smile

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 2824
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 31 2012 12:18 PM

Paul Golder:

George Somsel:

Yes, that is funny.  I am not a dispensationalists either.  But Mormons do not just have an extra book.  They have extra books, including the "Pearl of Great Price" and other writings of Joseph Smith that are regarded as Scripture.  More importantly, they have extra Gods.  In fact, they teach that God was once a mere man, and you have the potential to become a God, too.  So they have a very different understanding of the nature of God.

I am not arguing pro or con about their theology.  But Momon theology is a little different from my dispensational friends, who are just a little wierd, but still within the bounds of orthodox Christianity. 

And I have bid on the Mormon collection.  With the publicity this election is giving the Church of Latter Day Saints, it is important that we be prepared to guide our congregations about the Mormon faith.  People are interested in them, and will be more so if a member of that church becomes President.  If you have not bid on this collection, I urge you to do so.

I am not trying to attack the Mormon Church or theology.   I would not let theology keep me from voting for a Mormon.  I share many values with Mormons.  By and large they are great people.  Just saying.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 7:50 AM

Michael Childs:
Just saying.

....and you said it so well. Coffee

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 116
John R. Weathersby | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 9:11 AM

Listen - I did not read through the 9 pages of comments here, however I'd like to toss my hat in:

I would love a way to categorize text(s), both collections and individual works, as apologetically interesting, only. Mitigating the risk of reading something and thinking it's from a collection or work I agree with.  This is relevant to this collection - that's a LOT of indext'd materiel that I'd like parsed away from my normal searches and visibly flagged, I'm not certain that Prioritization will do all that I'd need in order to add this collection to my library.

What are your thoughts, all?

John Weathersby

Harrisburg, PA.

www.transcendchurch.org

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 9:28 AM

John R. Weathersby:
I would love a way to categorize text(s), both collections and individual works, as apologetically interesting, only. Mitigating the risk of reading something and thinking it's from a collection or work I agree with.

Do you mean that you can only discern whether you will agree with something based on the source and not from what is said?  Remember, even the devil can quote scripture which doesn't invalidate scripture though that doesn't make the purpose of the quote desirable.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 116
John R. Weathersby | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 9:54 AM

George, you're the superior person.

That said, to other users or community / members, is there a function for flagging resources as apologetic in nature, currently? 

If not, are there other users interested in the same functionality?

Thanks a ton!

John

John Weathersby

Harrisburg, PA.

www.transcendchurch.org

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 10:11 AM

John R. Weathersby:
George, you're the superior person.

You're trying to give me a swollen head.  Don't do that.  I have enough of a problem with such tendencies without your help.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 10:55 AM

John ... how exactly would your apologetic flagging work? If you put a 100 people in a room and ask their theological opinions, you're going to get at least 100 different views. I think that's what tagging, short titles and long-title edits are for, along with collections, etc?

Here are some I use: Agrees-with-Me, Said-It-Better-Than-I-Could-Have, Lost-in-Space, Why-Isn't-This-in-Hidden-Resources, Nutty-Author, Nutty-AuthorTimes2 and so forth.

This way, I simply put 'Agrees-with-me' in the library filter or search filter, and I always get the right answer. Can any OTHER software do that??

Kind of joking ... I'm trying hard to figure out what it is you're recommending.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 10:58 AM

There are probably better ways to do this, but this is one possibility.

Set up a collection of apologetic resources.

-- This will depend on what you consider 'Apologetic Only'.  See the wiki for ideas on rules (http://wiki.logos.com/Example_Collections), or drag the resources you want into the Plus These Resources section.

-- Rename the collection 'Apologetic Only'

Set up a collection of everything except the Apologetic collection.

-- Open a new collection using the rule Rating:>=0

-- Click Open and drag 'Apologetic Only' to the Minus These Resources section

-- Rename the collection 'Everything But Apologetic'

When you search, search the 'Everything But Apologetic' collection.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 11:08 AM

DMB:
John ... how exactly would your apologetic flagging work? If you put a 100 people in a room and ask their theological opinions, you're going to get at least 100 different views.

Same with opinions on bottled water. "Apologetic flagging" for anyone other than one's self is useless. That is true unless you are doing the thinking for others who are mindless......Indifferent

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 11:10 AM

DMB:

John ... how exactly would your apologetic flagging work? If you put a 100 people in a room and ask their theological opinions, you're going to get at least 100 different views. I think that's what tagging, short titles and long-title edits are for, along with collections, etc?

Here are some I use: Agrees-with-Me, Said-It-Better-Than-I-Could-Have, Lost-in-Space, Why-Isn't-This-in-Hidden-Resources, Nutty-Author, Nutty-AuthorTimes2 and so forth.

This way, I simply put 'Agrees-with-me' in the library filter or search filter, and I always get the right answer. Can any OTHER software do that??

Kind of joking ... I'm trying hard to figure out what it is you're recommending.

OF COURSE "agrees with me" MUST BE "agrees with me" (not you or anyone else) to be of value.  Wink  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 11:21 AM

George, that's not likely to work well. If I put your 'Agrees-with-me' in with my 'Agrees-with-Me' then they're going to get all mixed up, thereby risking not always getting the right answer.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 11:28 AM

John R. Weathersby:
I would love a way to categorize text(s), both collections and individual works, as apologetically interesting, only.

Have you ever found your interests or needs in study subjects change? The objects of my study focus in 1975 are markedly different from those that piqued my interest in 1985 or in 1995. Today I study things I never would have found interesting in previous decades. 

You can also fine tune the scope of your searches.  You can include or exclude resources. If a Baptist preacher refers to a Pope or President of the Mormon Church without knowing who he is quoting there may be interesting consequences. Although I am not a monk, I found myself quoting one after I read his words in the "Medieval Preaching & Spirituality Collection" currently in Pre-Pub.  There are some times you can find jewels in the words of people you otherwise disagree with.

Posts 579
Andrew Baguley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 12:02 PM

Andrew Baguley:

-- This will depend on what you consider 'Apologetic Only'.  See the wiki for ideas on rules (http://wiki.logos.com/Example_Collections) ...

I'm not sure if George and DMB are deliberately mocking or teasing, though it comes across that way from here.

Among other things, they're trying to point out that different people will have different ideas of what would be in 'Apologetic Only', so Logos cannot mark sets to help here.  A long time ago I suggested that Logos added theology tags, so that we could search just Arminian works, Calvinist works, pre-millennialist works, etc., but this seemed too controversial at the time.  I suspect that this would help you here but, in the absence of such fields, you would have to add your own tags.

Some users get confused by the word 'Collection' being used in two different ways by Logos.  The collections they sell are just groups of resources that sometimes don't actually have that much in common, so they are not specially tagged in your library.  Collections within the Logos application cannot be created by referring to a collection as it is sold.  Therefore, you would need to create your own rules for collections like this one.  In this case, the most promising fields are publisher and author, since anything published by 'Deseret News' or authored by 'Brigham Young' is likely to fall into this category and there are a limited number of publishers and authors within this collection.  Of course, if there is another author also called Brigham Young that you particularly like, then their works will also be included in the 'Apologetic Only' collection, so popular sounding names may lead you to manually add resources to a collection.

Hope that helps.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 12:13 PM

DMB:

George, that's not likely to work well. If I put your 'Agrees-with-me' in with my 'Agrees-with-Me' then they're going to get all mixed up, thereby risking not always getting the right answer.

But if you get "agrees with me", i.e. George Somsel, then you KNOW you have the right answer.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 1 2012 12:15 PM

Super Tramp:
Have you ever found your interests or needs in study subjects change? The objects of my study focus in 1975 are markedly different from those that piqued my interest in 1985 or in 1995. Today I study things I never would have found interesting in previous decades. 

Well, since I'm soon to turn 39, I haven't been around that many decades.  Wink Wink  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

Page 9 of 12 (224 items) « First ... < Previous 7 8 9 10 11 Next > ... Last » | RSS