Anybody use their android tablet to preach?

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 4
Caleb Stomberg | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 24 2012 1:45 PM

I am debating beginning to use my android tablet to preach off of.  I preach from a manuscript, and I think that it may be less distracting for me to simply glide my finger across the screen to change pages rather than shuffle pages around. 

My question is, for anyone who may already do this, what format / apps, do you use to read off of? 

What seems to work best (with just a little playing around), is to take the standard word document of the manuscript, increase the font size, decrease page margins (in order for it to be more readable on the tablet), and then save it as a PDF.  I sync between my laptop and tablet with dropbox, and then open it out of dropbox with my kindle app.  This allows me to flip between pages from left to right, rather than having to scroll as when opened by adobe reader / office apps. 

This is what I have been able to figure out after just a little work, (it was a nice surprise to realize that kindle opens and reads PDF documents) but I am not confident that this is the only / best way to accomplish this.  I am hoping for some suggestions / advice. 

Thanks,

Posts 24
GLR | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 24 2012 6:28 PM

Hi Caleb,

I use my Acer Iconia to preach from and find it very easy - -and I think an improvement - easy to read and adjust.

I use Documents to Go by Data Viz -- prepare my sermon on my PC and then upload notes to the Acer -

The more I have used it the less notes I seem to need - with highlighting and colours I find it very easy to see and keep on track.

Hope this helps,

Blessings,

Posts 173
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 25 2012 3:37 PM

Caleb Stomberg:

This is what I have been able to figure out after just a little work, (it was a nice surprise to realize that kindle opens and reads PDF documents) but I am not confident that this is the only / best way to accomplish this.  I am hoping for some suggestions / advice. 

Thanks,  

Get the Springpad App from the Amazon store.  Install the Springpad internet link on your PC.  Then you can write sermons in Word, get information from Logos and paste it all into your Springpad link on your PC.

It will automatically appear on your Kindle Fire after a sync.

You can then make quick notes on the Kindle Fire in Springpad and it will automatically appear on your PC after syncing.

Posts 123
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2012 2:10 PM

I use my android tablet to teach youth lessons & serves as a bible, and I love it.  I write my lesson in MSWord using logos to support, then save my lesson in drop-box.  Once I get to church I pull my document up on my Android transformer in dropbox and start boring people.  And I love it.

The other night we had a black-out at the church, and paper bibles were obsolete, so we all studied in the glow of smart-phones and tablets.  The adults just prayed and waiting on us to finish. :-)

Posts 10
Scott Chambers | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 11:49 AM

I use my android tablet to preach...it is very easy to do. It does make it easy and removes the distraction from the changing of pages. I use Quick Office pro.

Posts 1
Aranacil | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 2 2012 4:01 AM

I also just began using my Asus Transformer to preach and it is way better than fumbling around with pages. I use the built in Polaris Office that opens up .doc and .docx very nicely. It is not the best editor for these documents however, but I do all my editing in word then transfer over.

Posts 14
Tommy Johnston | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 2 2012 11:47 AM

I use my Transformer Prime to preach/teach in certain contexts, and have found it to be a delightful experience!  I do some tinkering to get my notes in a format that looks good in landscape, with the end product being a two column PDF in landscape mode that is perfect for my eyes to find what I need (around 14 point font is my sweet spot).  EZpdf reader tends to be my favorite app for this.

Posts 8531
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 2 2012 12:39 PM

Caleb Stomberg:
I am debating beginning to use my android tablet to preach off of.

I think the voice would not be particularly acceptable to most congregations.  Wink  Big Smile

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5
F. Allen Rasnake | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 3 2012 11:59 AM

I use my Nook Tablet coupled with Quick Office Pro.  I type my notes in MS Word and drag them over to the Nook.  I am very pleased with the results.

Posts 22
Ed W. Visser | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 4 2012 7:35 AM

Tommy Johnston:

I use my Transformer Prime to preach/teach in certain contexts, and have found it to be a delightful experience!  I do some tinkering to get my notes in a format that looks good in landscape, with the end product being a two column PDF in landscape mode that is perfect for my eyes to find what I need (around 14 point font is my sweet spot).  EZpdf reader tends to be my favorite app for this.

Like Tommy Johnston, I too use an ASUS Transformer (I have a TF300T), and have found that ezPDF Reader to be the best way to go.  I write in WordPerfect or Word on my laptop, use Segoe UI 20 font, letter size page. Save as pdf and transfer to the tablet. edPDF Reader is super customizable, and allows the user to add mark up, highlighing, drawing, notes etc., which can be 'flattened' to be part of the file.

http://johnbotkin.net/2012/05/29/practical-pastor-preaching-from-a-tablet/ mentions some helpful points, such as turning off wifi, alarms, etc. Make sure your screen stays on and that you lock its orientation (I prefer portrait), sound off, notifications off.

I've been using my tablet for preaching notes since July 2012, two services a Sunday, except for funerals -- then I return to paper. I appreciate using my tab, but I think for funerals and weddings I want to eliminate as much as possible things going wrong.Wink

Ed

Posts 45
Randle Bond | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 6 2012 10:43 PM

Have you tried a tele-prompter type application that will scroll your sermon at the speed you preach? Very handy. I've seen some good ones on iPad. Here are two I found for android, but haven't as yet found one that can work with word/pdf documents

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.psegina.teleprompter&feature=search_result

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kvance.MirrorScript&feature=search_result

Posts 427
David Buckham | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 7 2012 9:46 PM

I also use my ASUS Transformer (TF101). I work on my sermon on my Mac in Word or TextEdit and save it as a PDF. I use ezPDF Reader PRO to read my sermon. It's taken me almost a year to do this though. Always worried about the "what if's"...like a screen gets left on and battery dies.

I preach from an expanded outline or, on occasion, a mindmap (in which case my sermon is a single image...google Preach By Ear).

I did see that Proclaim now has a note feature where I can use my tablet as a remote and see my notes at the same time. That may be of interest.

all about Christ,

David Buckham

http://thinkspurlove.blogspot.com

Posts 120
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 8 2012 4:31 AM

The auto scroll seems like a great idea because when I scroll down I it sometimes misreads and zooms in or out.  It's hard not to get flustered in situations like that.

Posts 105
Bob Schaefer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 14 2012 8:23 PM

I've been using my HP TouchPad at worship for the better part of a year now. Most recently, I've been using Android on it rather than WebOS, because of the Logos app.

Since I come from a liturgical tradition, I have quite a few PDF documents open in multiple tabs on Sunday morning:

1. The bulletin (order of service), exported from Word.
  2. The full text and music of the liturgy, exported from Word.
  3. The most recent prayer list for worship, exported from my custom Excel prayer spreadsheet.
  4. My sermon, exported from Word.
  5. The readings, prayers, and hymns for the day, "scanned" from the hard copy into a PDF using HandyScan on my Windows Phone.
  6. Sometimes there are also choral anthems or other supplemental documents.

As complicated as it may sound to juggle all these files, it's not really any harder than dealing with their paper incarnations. And it's much less to tote around during worship. It does, however, take a certain amount of organization to be sure I have everything I need before worship starts!

For those of you who have incorporated tablets into your worship, I'm very curious how your congregations have perceived the technology. I had a few members who were quite offended that I would read the gospel from a digital device, rather than "the Bible" (actually, I had been reading it from an insert, set on top of the pages of my hymnal, and not from a Bible at all). They found it disrespectful. I suggested that there's nothing inherently respectful or disrespectful about pixels vs. ink. I also was tempted to observe that our bulletin inserts with the printed word of God almost all end up in the bathroom garbage after church - the nearest wastebasket to the door - and that seems far more disrespectful to scripture than reading it from a tablet!

Posts 3
valisa sharma | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 2:25 AM

Sorry,i can't use it.

Posts 1535
Forum MVP
Andy Evans | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 2:50 AM

valisa sharma:
Sorry

Spammer trying to increase post count. Reported.

Windows 7 Premium 64-bit, ASUS P6T, i7-960 3.20 GHz, 6 GB Corsair XMS3 1600MHz, 2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX285

13" MBA (2011), i5 1.7GHz, 256SSD, 4GB

Posts 123
Derek Browning | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 5:12 AM

Not to get this forum post side-tracked, but what does a spammer have to gain by increasing their post count on here?

Posts 7037
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 6:10 AM

Derek Browning:

Not to get this forum post side-tracked, but what does a spammer have to gain by increasing their post count on here?

Assuming the diagnosis is correct a higher post count let's you fly under the radar for awhile until you put spam links in your sig and they propagate all over the forum instantaneously.

Posts 11
David R Broom Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 20 2012 4:12 PM

The last thing we need are Obama preachers using a teleprompter. lol Big Smile But on a serious note, I no longer use a paper bible in Church whether preaching or otherwise. Just make sure your battery is charged, because a dead bible is not a good thing.

Posts 5
elliott siu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 21 2012 11:44 AM

Hi. I use Evernote (free app). It's a fantastic app that syncs everything you put into it from any device you're logged in to. I write my sermons on my PC in either Evernote or Word (and then paste into Evernote). Then I open Evernote on my tablet and it's there. The interface is simple and easy to work with while preaching.

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS