Philippians Classic Commentary now approaching $30!!!

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4812
David Paul | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 29 2012 2:11 PM

Yes! We are just a sneeze away from crossing the $40 threshold, and $30 is now a very doable possibility. That makes these resources less than $2 per book!

Let's move that $30 dot over the top! Yes

Posts 2376
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 2:31 PM

With all the excitement about this going from $90 to almost $40, maybe Logos could help us out by sending out another email.  (I know it's not going to happen, but it would be nice if they did).

Posts 9118
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 2:33 PM

I am curious. What exactly in that set is something you want??

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 645
Dean J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 2:40 PM

Mark Smith:

I am curious. What exactly in that set is something you want??

The old commentaries are much different in orientation to the newer ones, and in my opinion, superior - nineteenth-century scholarship will always represent the pinnacle to my mind. 

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 2:49 PM

Yes

Dean053:
The old commentaries are much different in orientation to the newer ones, and in my opinion, superior - nineteenth-century scholarship will always represent the pinnacle to my mind. 

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 2:50 PM

Yes

Dean053:
Yes

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 2:52 PM

Opps sorry for the double post, didnt think I gave a thumbs up on the first one.Stick out tongue

Posts 2376
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 2:55 PM

As much as I respect today's scholarship, I think it is easy to only read what is contemporary and popular (what's the newest bestseller or program that the church can go through).  I'm not criticizing these programs, others along with myself have benefited from them.  But several years ago I began reading older works and these have had a profound impact on my spiritual walk that the newer works did not.  Since then I have been reading older commentaries and classics.  I still refer to the newer ones and benefit from them but I also look to the "classics".

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 3:04 PM

"The Bible was not given as a textbook of human science, but as a divine revelation of God's will. It was not designed to make skillful debaters or dry theologians, but converted sinners and holy Christians."-Octavius Winslow

This is the type of reading you get from the classics.

Posts 9118
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 3:13 PM

OK. With all respect, you haven't answered my question. Just because something is old  (or 19th century) doesn't make it good. Which of these commentaries are the ones you know to be of real value and would be good to add to my library? I hardly recognize a single author.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 737
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 3:18 PM

Myself I dont recognize any in the Philippians set and would prefer other sets to be published first. But as Logo's has put together other set Im trusting this set is just as good.Geeked

Posts 570
Rev Chris | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 3:55 PM

Mark Smith:

Just because something is old  (or 19th century) doesn't make it good.

Being a young clergyman myself, I say well said!  Oh wait, you were talking about books, weren't you? Stick out tongue

Pastor, seminary trustee, and app developer.  Check out my latest app for churches: The Church App

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 4:27 PM

Rev Chris:

Mark Smith:

Just because something is old  (or 19th century) doesn't make it good.

Being a young clergyman myself, I say well said!  Oh wait, you were talking about books, weren't you? Stick out tongue

I Resemble That Remark !  Surprise

Posts 1501
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 4:34 PM

I've noticed that some of the older commentaries make use of creative phraseology - this is pleasant to read and great for memorizing key ideas. Most modern commentaries seem to be lacking this type of style.

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 4:56 PM

David Paul:
Yes! We are just a sneeze away from crossing the $40 threshold

Surprise AhhhhhhChooo Surprise

Posts 654
David Bailey | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 5:23 PM

We just need a few more folks to bid at $40 and push that value over the line; just a few more bids should do it.

Posts 1445
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 29 2012 6:24 PM

[

David L Bailey:

We just need a few more folks to bid at $40 and push that value over the line; just a few more bids should do it.

Yes

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 10294
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2012 1:46 AM

David L Bailey:

It's 40 right now.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 30 2012 5:54 AM

Mark Smith:

OK. With all respect, you haven't answered my question. Just because something is old  (or 19th century) doesn't make it good. Which of these commentaries are the ones you know to be of real value and would be good to add to my library? I hardly recognize a single author.

As a "newer" Christian than most here, I like these "Classic" commentary sets because I am able to read a lot of different perspectives, from different authors.  I'm not educated enough to determine who is "good" and who isn't, and that pertains to new commentaries as well as old.  I also like that they all use the KJV.  I use the NIV and ESV and in the past found the KJV difficult to read and understand.  The classic commentaries that I've recieved so far have given me a new appreciation for the language of the KJV and force me to think harder about what I'm reading and therefore relate to a better understanding of the Biblical text. 

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS