Logos 4 Crash when using highlighing on Windows desktop

Page 1 of 1 (20 items)
This post has 19 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 58
Dr. Mark C. Spellman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jan 31 2012 2:56 PM

Just using logos4 with Windows 7 and had been highlighting extensively and the program crashed.  Said it had to close.  Reopend Logos 4 and the window I had been working in had not saved, so I couldn't refresh it.  Lost all the work.  Frustrating!  The active highlighting is great, but if it's going to crash when it is used, it is worthless.

I clicked on the 'debug' button, so hopefully there is a file saved someplaced that I can send to someone to see what is going on.

Mark

6404.Logos4Crash.zip

4760.Logos4Error.zip

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2012 3:44 PM

Rev. Mark C Spellman:
I clicked on the 'debug' button, so hopefully there is a file saved someplaced that I can send to someone to see what is going on.

Not sure what you mean by the debug button. What is in these files doesn't tell us what was going on when the crash happened. It would be more helpful to have more logs.

Please enable logging by carefully following all the instructions in the link below:
http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

Then run Logos and see if you can repeat the issue that caused the crash. Make sure to post all  the log and txt files here for review. Here are the Wiki instructions for how to upload logs.
http://wiki.logos.com/Uploading_Logs

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 26196
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2012 8:43 PM

Rev. Mark C Spellman:
hopefully there is a file saved someplaced that I can send to someone to see what is going on.

Seems to be related to Preferences, and there have been a few such crashes. As the suggested fix seems not to have cured the problem uploading logos4.log + crash logs will provide a better indication.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 58
Dr. Mark C. Spellman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 7:54 AM

Here's what I mean by the debug button.  Using Logos 4 to just in a simple search, not highlighting etc.  See attached.

7612.Logos Bible Software 4 has stopped working.docx

I have permanently enabled Diagnostic logging.  According to your instructions here is the lastest log when the crash happened:

88218.Logos4Crash.txt

7167.Logos4Error.log

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 10:25 AM

Rev. Mark C Spellman:

I have permanently enabled Diagnostic logging.  According to your instructions here is the lastest log when the crash happened:

88218.Logos4Crash.txt

7167.Logos4Error.log

We need all the logs generated, as these don't tell much. Especially the Logos4.log (usually the most helpful). Please upload all the logs.

Posts 8976
LogosEmployee

Mark,

You're encountering a new bug we've seen a handful of times in 4.5. You should be able to fix it by deleting this folder:

C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Local\Logos4\Documents\r4o4soau.wrl\UserPreferences2

(The application will re-download your preferences via sync the next time you start it, which may cause a brief delay.)

Posts 58
Dr. Mark C. Spellman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 1 2012 2:42 PM

Thanks, Bradley

I've tried this and we'll have to see how things work out. 

Mark

Posts 8
Arie Verburgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 1:23 AM

I am experiencing the same problem. My log files are attached.5543.Logos Log Files.zip

Posts 8
Arie Verburgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 1:26 AM

Sorry, and deleting User Preferences (I also tried deleting both User Preferences folders) makes no difference. Sorry Bradley.

Posts 26196
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 3:30 AM

Arie Verburgh:

I am experiencing the same problem. My log files are attached.5543.Logos Log Files.zip

Arie

There is no crash information in these logs. Please ensure logging is enabled, get L4 to crash and then upload the error and crash logs + logos4.log

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 8
Arie Verburgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 3:51 AM

I am sorry to hear that, Dave, but logging was enabled before I allowed L4 to crash, etc. I suggest this is another bug, or your instructions left something out. I repeat, I followed the instructions exactly as given. Sorry.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 7:38 AM

Arie Verburgh:

I am sorry to hear that, Dave, but logging was enabled before I allowed L4 to crash, etc. I suggest this is another bug, or your instructions left something out. I repeat, I followed the instructions exactly as given. Sorry.

Did you post the logs after the crash and before restarting Logos?

Posts 8
Arie Verburgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 9:06 AM

Yes, I did. I have now repeated the whole exercise (deleted the log files folder first, then enabled logging, then blocked a piece of text and tried to highlight it with dark jellow with the "Y" hotkey I set up, logos stopped responding, I clicked the "x" to close it, it gave me the option to wait or close the program, I closed the program, then went back to the logging folder and found only one file (attached).1007.Logos4.log

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 9:44 AM

Arie Verburgh:

Yes, I did. I have now repeated the whole exercise (deleted the log files folder first, then enabled logging, then blocked a piece of text and tried to highlight it with dark jellow with the "Y" hotkey I set up, logos stopped responding, I clicked the "x" to close it, it gave me the option to wait or close the program, I closed the program, then went back to the logging folder and found only one file (attached).1007.Logos4.log

Something isn't right. That log file doesn't even contain the ordinary startup information of a standard logos4.log

Did you edit the log file? If so, please post an unedited file (regardless of length).

If you didn't, something else is very wrong.

BTW, there's no need to delete the directory. Logos automatically overwrites older files with the latest.

Second, next time, do not click the red 'X' to close Logos on the "Logos stopped responding" message. Give it some more time (I suggest a full 120 seconds), and see if it comes back to life. It is not uncommon for Logos (and some other programs) to get hung up for a bit, and then come back after a few seconds. If it doesn't come back to life after a full 2 minutes, then post those logs and we can see if there was a problem that needs fixing, and maybe what it was.

Posts 8976
LogosEmployee

The crash related to UserPreferences2 has been fixed in SR-4; there should never be a need to delete that folder anymore.

The first time you apply highlighting, the system has to build a cache of data. If you have tens of thousands (or more!) of highlights, this may take a few seconds. I think the system's running normally (though not ideally, because it's leading you to believe that it's frozen); if you wait a little longer for it, it should start responding again. (And the good news is that once this cache is built, new highlighting will be much quicker to apply.)

Posts 8
Arie Verburgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 10:01 AM

Richard, I believe what happened is that I deleted the logging folder while Logos was running and then enabled logging - it's possible, sorry. However, I have now done what you suggested and waited for more than 2 minutes after Logos stopped responding, eventually I had to click the red 'X', otherwise it would have kept on hanging forever (I noticed Mr Grainger's email saying it should eventually get back to life, and then be quicker next time - however if I have to wait a few seconds after highlighting text, it's already too long - I hope he is not suggesting that we should live with this tardiness). Attached the latest logs.2072.Logos Log Files.zip

Posts 8976
LogosEmployee

As far as I can tell, Logos 4 was working (on building the cache I mentioned) up until the time that you terminated it (at which point all progress it had made was lost). I agree that two minutes is far too long (and we'll look into this in a future release), but this is a one-time operation that the system needs to perform and there's not currently any way to avoid it.

I can't give any estimate how long it'll take, but once it does finish, you should see almost instantaneous application of highlighting for the second highlight.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 10:17 AM

Arie Verburgh:

Richard, I believe what happened is that I deleted the logging folder while Logos was running and then enabled logging - it's possible, sorry. However, I have now done what you suggested and waited for more than 2 minutes after Logos stopped responding, eventually I had to click the red 'X', otherwise it would have kept on hanging forever (I noticed Mr Grainger's email saying it should eventually get back to life, and then be quicker next time - however if I have to wait a few seconds after highlighting text, it's already too long - I hope he is not suggesting that we should live with this tardiness). Attached the latest logs.2072.Logos Log Files.zip

Look at Bradley's post that follows yours. He says, this waiting is a one time thing. Once it does this, it shouldn't need to do it every again (right Bradley?).

So, when you're ready to leave your computer for a while (make sure it won't hibernate or 'go to sleep'), get some lunch, or take a coffee break, start it up, highlight something and walk away from it.

Posts 8
Arie Verburgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 10:36 AM

Thanks Richard and Bradley. You were right. I didn't even have to wait that long (about 5 minutes), and now highlighting is quick. Thanks for putting up with me.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 4 2012 11:56 AM

Arie Verburgh:

Thanks Richard and Bradley. You were right. I didn't even have to wait that long (about 5 minutes), and now highlighting is quick. Thanks for putting up with me.

Glad you got it working!

BTW, we put up jam, peaches, and sometimes apricots. We patiently help people.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS