Do those of you with lots of RAM still have out of memory exceptions?

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1116
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Feb 6 2012 2:15 AM

Since upgrading to Logos 4.5 it has twice crashed because of

Error ID: 3717
Error detail: OutOfMemoryException: Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

I am wondering if those of you with lots of RAM are still having this problem. The first time I left Logos running over night and in the morning it had crashed. The second time I was doing a compare translations search and after thinking for about 5 mins it crashed. This time I had the task manager running and Logos was using just shy of 800MB and the total load was about 78% of my 3GB of RAM.

I've attached my crash log for your amusement.

Tom

04316.Logos4Crash.txt

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 6 2012 2:23 AM

If you try and do something enormous, Logos will sometimes crash with an out of memory error. By enormous, I mean something like a Text Comparison of 50 Bible versions for the whole Bible. Having more RAM doesn't help with these errors (though it helps with speed) because Windows only allocates a limited amount of memory to 32-bit applications like Logos regardless of how much you have installed.

What exactly were you attempting?

Posts 19139
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 6 2012 2:25 AM

I have gobs of RAM and I do occasionally get these. It tends to happen when I have tons of tabs open, and several of them are complex things (not just resources open) like Searches or Guides. I still don't find it acceptable for a sophisticate program like this to crash instead of gracefully putting up an error message and refusing to do anything further until the user closes some windows or something, possibly even shuts down the program and restarts.

Posts 1116
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 6 2012 3:04 AM

Mark Barnes:

What exactly were you attempting?

The first time I wasn't attempting anything - I just left it open overnight with a few books open. This time I was attempting to compare the whole Bible in three different translations.

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 6 2012 4:46 AM

Tom Reynolds:
The first time I wasn't attempting anything - I just left it open overnight with a few books open.

It's impossible to know the cause of that crash without the log.

Tom Reynolds:
This time I was attempting to compare the whole Bible in three different translations.

Rosie's right, it would be much better of Logos gracefully gave a nice error message. But the Text Comparison tool isn't really designed to handle such large requests. You'll have to breakdown your request into smaller chunks.

Posts 1116
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2012 3:37 AM

L4 was cooperative last night and crashed early this morning. I left it running and the last thing the log shows prior to crashing is a check for updates at 1:30am. Four hours later at 5:30 it crashed due to insufficient memory. I don't know if L4 has a memory leak or what but obviously the lesson is not to leave it running over night. I have attached the crash and error logs for your edification.

Tom

3617.Logos4Error.log

7802.Logos4Crash.txt

The last previous messages were:

2012-02-14 01:35:45.3300    5    Info    UpdateManager    Starting Update Manager processing in 06:00:00.
2012-02-14 01:35:45.3300    1    Info    LDLS4.AppModel    No updates are available.

Posts 26364
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 14 2012 4:17 AM

Tom Reynolds:
[View:http://community.logos.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/CommunityServer.Discussions.Components.Files/76/7802.Logos4Crash.txt:550:0]

That should be 7802.Logos4Crash.txt

i.e. make sure the  550, 0 is set to 0,0 in the paper clip window.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS