Works of Johannes Buxtorf

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 1
Clinton Fagge | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 16 2012 1:25 PM

Hello,

I am new to these forums and was writing because I noticed that with all the excitement about John Gill's works that there are no books on here by one of his favorite authors, Johannes Buxtorf. Neither his Hebrew Lexicon or Biblia Hebraica or his other works. Is it at all possible to be able to access and digitally format these one day? Would be good to see some of the writings of some of his favorite Jewish writers as well such as Maimonides or Aben Ezra. Not sure if any have been translated into English though. Thank you. Clint

Posts 1246
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2012 5:34 AM

Shalom Clint!

Welcome to the forums! Perhaps you should repost your suggestion in the "Suggestions" forum.

Johannes Buxtorf the Elder (1564-1629; both his son and grandson were also Orientalists) was the greatest Christian Hebraist of his age. I'd be especially interested in having Buxtorf's Synagoga Judaica available in Logos to see how Jewish beliefs and practices were viewed by Christians in the seventeenth century.

Clinton Fagge:

his Hebrew Lexicon or Biblia Hebraica

Logos already has several modern Hebrew and Aramaic lexicons available (or in prepub!). Buxtorf's lexicons wouldn't add much other than being historical documents. I did see though that Buxtorf is often quoted in The Cambridge Bible for Schools and Colleges and Meyer's Critical and Exegetical Commentary on the New Testament.

It also wouldn't be necessary to have Buxtorf's Rabbinic Bible if only Logos would publish some of the great Jewish commentators like Ibn Ezra or Rashi. The other traditional elements of a Rabbinic Bible (Biblical text, Targumim, and Masorah) are already available in Logos.

Clinton Fagge:

Jewish writers as well such as Maimonides or Aben Ezra.

Ibn Ezra, Maimonides and other Jewish writers have been requested many times before on these forums.

Clinton Fagge:

Is it at all possible to be able to access and digitally format these one day?

Buxtorf's works can be found online in the Post-Reformation Digital Library, though it would be easier to have them in Logos.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2012 5:52 AM

Clinton Fagge:
Would be good to see some of the writings of some of his favorite Jewish writers as well such as ... Aben Ezra.

H.-J.van der Wal:
if only Logos would publish some of the great Jewish commentators like Ibn Ezra

I guess both of you have missed that ibn Ezra's commentary on Isaiah is included in Classic Commentaries and Studies on Isaiah (22 vols.) (both Hebrew and English, as I understand it). It's currently at $40 and looks likely to close next week. Don't miss out.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 1246
HJ. van der Wal | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2012 6:20 AM

fgh:

I guess both of you have missed that ibn Ezra's commentary on Isaiah is included in Classic Commentaries and Studies on Isaiah (22 vols.) (both Hebrew and English, as I understand it). It's currently at $40 and looks likely to close next week. Don't miss out.

Thanks fgh! As a matter of fact I had already placed my bid for the Isaiah Collection in december. Still, Ibn Ezra on Isaiah is only a small start and I really hope that Logos will also publish Rashi's commentary!

PS Re tand och bil: Fgh, Jag ber att allt ska gå bättre nästa vecka!

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2012 7:39 PM

fgh:
Ezra's commentary on Isaiah is included in Classic Commentaries and Studies on Isaiah (22 vols.) (both Hebrew and English, as I understand it). It's currently at $40 and looks likely to close next week.

Noticed bidding for Classic Commentaries and Studies on Isaiah (22 vols.) closes on Fri 24 Feb, needs more bids to reduce price from $ 40 to $ 30.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 17 2012 7:41 PM

Clinton Fagge:

Hello,

I am new to these forums and was writing because I noticed that with all the excitement about John Gill's works that there are no books on here by one of his favorite authors, Johannes Buxtorf. Neither his Hebrew Lexicon or Biblia Hebraica or his other works. Is it at all possible to be able to access and digitally format these one day? Would be good to see some of the writings of some of his favorite Jewish writers as well such as Maimonides or Aben Ezra. Not sure if any have been translated into English though. Thank you. Clint

Welcome Big Smile

Logos tends to read Suggestions forum and Product Suggestions email => http://www.logos.com/about/contact

Option: send email to Logos Product Suggestions with reference to this thread.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS