Best mouse for Logos

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 2332
mab | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 23 2012 1:04 PM

I have an Apple Mighty Mouse that I bought years ago.  It's starting to become annoyingly unresponsive for reasons I can't fathom. If I must go with a new mouse, any that you find compelling for Logos 4 (MAC or WIN). Since a decent mouse is not cheap I don't necessarily feel like I would buy an Apple mouse. Some of the Logitech and even MS ones are supposed to be very good and they are MAC compatible. What say ye?

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 27966
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 1:31 PM

Michael Ballai:
What say ye?

If I were in need of a new pointing device… the mouse I would buy… isn't a mouse. I would buy a magic trackpad. Since Apple is moving towards multi touch gestures which mimic iOS (iPhone, iPad), a mouse does not cut it. You will be missing out if you get a mouse.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2332
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 1:39 PM

I'd be somewhat inclined to agree except that I'm still on Snow Leopard. I tried the Magic Trackpad at an Apple Store some time back and it's intriguing. I 'll keep it in mind though. My WIN box is still on XP too and I need to verify if I can use it for that as well.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 1:41 PM

A mouse is a very personal thing.  You'll have to try them to make sure they fit your hand.  I use Logotech mice because I like the shape and feel. I especially like usuing the left/right tilt of the scroll wheel as forward/back buttons in Logos and web browsers.  I have a M705 and a M505 and like them.  I recently returned another M705 that I recently bought because the scroll wheel was jittery (the first one from a few years ago doesn't have the problem).

P.S. I hate using touch pads.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 2:02 PM

Michael Ballai:

I'd be somewhat inclined to agree except that I'm still on Snow Leopard. I tried the Magic Trackpad at an Apple Store some time back and it's intriguing. I 'll keep it in mind though. My WIN box is still on XP too and I need to verify if I can use it for that as well.

Personally use a Magic Trackpad with Snow Leopard, which has larger surface area than Magic Mouse for finger gestures; albeit took awhile to learn retrain my fingers (do like option for two finger tap for right click).

For windows, I prefer a Logitech trackball, which is still working.

Caveat: I know one long time Mac user who uses a Magic Mouse, but does not like the Magic Trackpad.

Apple has Boot Camp drivers (Windows 32 bit and 64 bit) for the Magic Trackpad => http://www.apple.com/support/bootcamp/

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 27966
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 2:19 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Caveat: I know one long time Mac user who uses a Magic Mouse, but does not like the Magic Trackpad.

I used to not like trackpads either… but I love the new trackpad. Anyone who uses a more recent MacBook or iPad will be familiar with the Magic Trackpad. If you are going to be immersed in the Apple ecosystem, it would be wise to get to know the gestures. They are everywhere. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 2:23 PM

alabama24:

I used to not like trackpads either… but I love the new trackpad. Anyone who uses a more recent MacBook or iPad will be familiar with the Magic Trackpad. If you are going to be immersed in the Apple ecosystem, it would be wise to get to know the gestures. They are everywhere. 

Funny: personally like using Magic Trackpad while tend to avoid using PC laptop trackpads; suspect ability to have trackpad to the side of the keyboard helps.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 3:24 PM

Funny: personally like using Magic Trackpad while tend to avoid using PC laptop trackpads; suspect ability to have trackpad to the side of the keyboard helps.

I don't think it's just the positioning. The responsiveness and feel of Apple's trackpads (whether the laptop ones or the magic trackpad) puts any PC trackpad I've used to shame.

Personally I've settled on having both a Magic Trackpad and Magic Mouse hooked up. Both are good for different things - the trackpad I use more for general browsing around and for gestures, and the mouse I use when I need a more precise pointing device (generally when editing audio or video, not so much with Logos).

The main reason I've switched over to Apple pointing devices (I used to use Logitech) is that they do horizontal scrolling well. Most other brands have nothing for horizontal scrolling, or at best they a tilt-wheel, which I find awkward and slow.

Posts 27966
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 3:43 PM

mitchellisdumb:
The responsiveness and feel of Apple's trackpads (whether the laptop ones or the magic trackpad) puts any PC trackpad I've used to shame.

I agree, with a caveat. My white MacBook was usable to me, but I didn't love it. My (newer) MacBook Pro's trackpad I LOVE, especially since Lion.

Posts 2332
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 23 2012 5:05 PM

Considering that a really good mouse is about the same price as a trackpad, I probably should take another look at the trackpad. I wouldn't be surprised if I still use ended up using both afterwards because they'd be on separate IDs. 

I'll need to keep my desk neater if I get the trackpad. Seems my mousepad is open season for alien objects. Wink

Posts 4697
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 24 2012 1:15 AM

I must agree with those recommending the track pad - I have given up using the mouse for anything and find the track pad ideal for everything that I do. I actually takes less space on the desk because you don't have to do all that moving around.

Posts 1578
John Kight | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 24 2012 7:40 AM

Trackpads are definitely worth the investment. However, If your looking for the happy medium the Magic Mouse works wonderful as well. I use both and would recommend either.

For book reviews and more visit sojotheo.com 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 24 2012 8:56 AM

Buy one with four legs and two ears.  Big Smile  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 490
R. Mansfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 24 2012 9:03 AM

I agree with all those recommending Apple's Magic Trackpad. I now have two--one for my work desk and the other for my home desk. But the nice thing is that even when I have my MBA all by itself, I still interact with the OS the same way using the built in trackpad. 

At first there were aspects about the mouse that I sometimes missed after switching to the trackpad, but after using it exclusively for about a year, I now prefer it to a mouse for all functions, and loathe to have to sit at someone else's computer and fiddle with their mouse. On the rare occasion I have to use a mouse, I feel like Scotty in Star Trek IV, trying to talk to the Mac SE and having to use the mouse instead. 

RMansfield@mac.com
http://thislamp.com 
youtube.com/user/rfmansfield
twitter/thislamp
facebook.com/rmansfield

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 24 2012 9:10 AM

R. Mansfield:

On the rare occasion I have to use a mouse, I feel like Scotty in Star Trek IV, trying to talk to the Mac SE and having to use the mouse instead. 

Big SmileYes

Edit: For those living in the pre-trackpad "dark ages" here's the video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hShY6xZWVGE&feature=related).

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 27966
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Feb 24 2012 9:34 AM

R. Mansfield:
On the rare occasion I have to use a mouse, I feel like Scotty in Star Trek IV, trying to talk to the Mac SE and having to use the mouse instead. 

Computer… Hello Computer!

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS