L4 just about unusable in Isaiah

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 429
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 3 2012 12:04 PM

Isaiah 1 or 6 or 13. 

It opens up to go through the passage guide and exegetical guide and when it finishes, it sometimes just gives me the spinning pizza immediately and won't let me scroll through any texts at all. For whatever it is worth, I'm not having the problem in other books of the Bible.  So, should I just not study Isaiah? ;)

7711.Archive.zip

Wilson Hines

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 12:19 PM

Wilson Hines:

Isaiah 1 or 6 or 13. 

It opens up to go through the passage guide and exegetical guide and when it finishes, it sometimes just gives me the spinning pizza immediately and won't let me scroll through any texts at all. For whatever it is worth, I'm not having the problem in other books of the Bible.  So, should I just not study Isaiah? ;)

7711.Archive.zip

Well, obviously that's what you get for using a second-rate computer.  Wink  Yes, I'm just kidding, but it must be a problem peculiar to the MAC.  Prepare to be offended, because I intend to lecture you briefly.  Wilson, you've been around long enough to know that you need to give us the full skinny without our needing to ferret out your situation.  I gather that you are attempting to run the exegetical guide on these passages. Tell us precisely what you did to make a mess of things (Wink  kidding again, you probably did nothing wrong).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 429
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 12:31 PM

George, are you using a Mac?

For the Mac users, there's nothing anymore to it than exactly what i said in my statement: You open up Logos and use the click go box with anything in Isaiah.  That brings up the passage and exegetical guides and Bibles and so forth on the right.  Once the guides are finished, you get the pizza if you try literally anything.

Wilson Hines

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 12:43 PM

Wilson Hines:
George, are you using a Mac?

Of course not !  What do you think I am, stupid?  [Oh, how I love offending MACcies Big Smile]  No real offense intended, but it's fun to pretend.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 429
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 12:53 PM

I just don't get it, George.  I really just don't get it.  It's also one of the reasons I stopped posting on here about much of anything.  Sarcasm and out right pounding.  I'm sorry man, I just remembered why I stopped using the forum and it was a mind clearing moment. 

Wilson Hines

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 1:03 PM

Wilson Hines:

I just don't get it, George.  I really just don't get it.  It's also one of the reasons I stopped posting on here about much of anything.  Sarcasm and out right pounding.  I'm sorry man, I just remembered why I stopped using the forum and it was a mind clearing moment. 

I'm sorry if you're offended, but the intention was to lighten up things a bit.  It's banter so smile !

george
gfsomsel

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 1:05 PM

Sounds like you are using the Home page to open your verses.

When using the Home page's Go box to enter your verses, it is best not to enter whole chapters, but a single verse or a short range of verses.

just some thoughts

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 429
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 1:11 PM

Thanks for the reply Steve.  I just tried Isaiah 6:13 by itself and it gave me fresh pizza again.

Wilson Hines

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 1:17 PM

Sorry, i will step aside and wait for one of the Mac people here on the forum to give you a better solution.

i hope in the near future that Logos gets the Mac up to par with windows so we all will be on the same page.

EDIT: even in windows, if we open a study through the Home page and have all the fields in the Passage Guide/Exegetical Guide expanded, we get an hourglass for several seconds (or a couple of minutes). Don't know if Mac acts like PC, but i keep most of the fields collapsed in the PG & EG until i need to view them.

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 29915
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 1:27 PM

Wilson - 

Try doing a passage guide and exegetical guide on a completely different passage. After you run these guides, make sure to collapse each section and then close the guides. When you run the Isaiah passage from the "Go" box, it will run them with each section collapsed. Does this make it any better?

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 1:32 PM

For what it's worth, looking at his log file, in between syncing and finishing up the index, he's getting a repetitive error on the SESB morph RDFS.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 429
Wilson Hines | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 1:35 PM

I opened up Ex 20:1 and it worked awesome and fast.  I did as prescribed and it performed as prescribed when I re-opened.  

But, when I clicked on the Exegetical guide, I got the pizza again.  

There's something about Isaiah.  Anywhere in Isaiah. 

Wilson Hines

Posts 29915
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 2:26 PM

Wilson Hines:
There's something about Isaiah.  Anywhere in Isaiah. 

I tried the single verse passage you referenced earlier and it worked fine for me. If you have the time (perhaps before you go to bed), you might try the command "rebuild bible index". I did this yesterday and it took several hours.

I will reiterate what others have said… Trying to do an entire chapter could crash your computer. Tongue Tied

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 3 2012 4:39 PM

Wilson Hines:

Isaiah 1 or 6 or 13. 

7711.Archive.zip

Looking at Logos4.log file, appears initial passage entered was Isaiah 13:6-13:16, which was later changed to Isaiah 13

Logos4.log file has no crash.  Apologies: personally not have Bible resource LLS:1.0.1212 that has some warnings about Logos 4 choosing English.

Curious what sections are open in Passage Guide and Exegetical Guide ?

Entering a chapter on the Logos Home Page includes opening a Text Comparison panel for the entire chapter, which takes awhile to compare all verses in a chapter even though only a little is displayed on screen.  The default setting for Exegetical Guide includes a Word by Word section, which likewise takes a while to search and format information links for every word in every verse, even though little is shown on screen.

Also wonder if blue Logos icon is in menu bar ? indexing in progress ?

Wiki has Getting Started with Logos => Home Page + First Steps with many Tips.

Apologies: personally do not use Home Page to enter a passage since have created many of my own layouts.  Also know of many Logos tools, which can be quickly opened when desired.  My favorite starting layout has two items: collections and library in one panel that fills the screen, which allows me to see many library metadata columns.  Easy to click on a resource to open, then drag where desired.

From reading many forum threads, picked up a speed tip of having less stuff open for faster Logos 4 responsiveness, which works on Mac and PC.

When reading a Bible, like being able to click "+" to open another Bible to the same verse.  Logos 4 searches my Bibles for ones that have the verse, list is shown in my prioritized order.  Likewise like clicking "+" when reading a commentary to open another commentary to same verse location.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS