Daniel Commentary Recommendations

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 116
C Devin Chaulk | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Mar 6 2012 6:15 AM

I am looking for a commentary on Daniel that is:

1. Pastoral or Technical

2. Written from the Historic Premillennial position (Not dispensational or ammillennial)

3. And ideally, available in Logos.

4. Even more ideally, available individually. (Not stuck in a bundle like NICOT/NT)

This is not a thread for debate about eschatology. Resist the temptation! Focus people! Wink

Posts 725
Evan Boardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 6 2012 10:49 AM

I wasn't about to point to you something that's not under contract yet but because you said Premill. all I could think of is

http://www.logos.com/product/10050/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-daniel which Im sure would have some.Or maybe not...I might be think Pre-Trib. I get those mixed up.Angry

Posts 1240
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 6 2012 11:06 AM

A quick Google search reveals that I am not good at Google searching. I was unable to find a single commentary that fits your description.

Posts 116
C Devin Chaulk | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 6 2012 12:57 PM

I have put in a bid on the Classic Commentaries and Studies on Daniel, and am hopeful of the treasure trove therein. As far as I know, James Boice is a HP, so I may pick up his work on Daniel, but other than that, I'm at a loss. Was hoping that I was missing something!

Posts 1240
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 6 2012 2:49 PM

C Devin Chaulk:

I have put in a bid on the Classic Commentaries and Studies on Daniel, and am hopeful of the treasure trove therein. As far as I know, James Boice is a HP, so I may pick up his work on Daniel, but other than that, I'm at a loss. Was hoping that I was missing something!

I'm happy you put a bid in for that set...its been lagging. While this commentary adheres to premillennial dispensationalism it is very good: New American Commentary: Daniel

Posts 531
Jonathan Pitts | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 6 2012 3:28 PM

Joshua G:
While this commentary adheres to premillennial dispensationalism it is very good: New American Commentary: Daniel

I've just read this one. It was clearly written and easy to follow compared to the other commentary that I was reading. It says what it has to say without getting bogged down in the arguments.

There are some places where the author's preconceptions seem to lead to the conclusions without really providing arguments that take me with him. A lot of the footnotes refer to secondary works rather than the original documents, and a few of them I couldn't track down exactly what he was referring to in a primary document. However, this makes for an easy-going commentary for the educated reader but without overwhelming detail. It can probably be classed as pastoral.

Posts 116
C Devin Chaulk | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 6 2012 3:57 PM

Joshua G:

I'm happy you put a bid in for that set...its been lagging. While this commentary adheres to premillennial dispensationalism it is very good: New American Commentary: Daniel

I have NAC, and you're right, it's a helpful commentary regardless of the hermeneutical approach.

Posts 4753
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 6 2012 6:27 PM

See if you can get a hold Uriah's Smith book on Daniel.

Everything ever written or spoken in Religion, formatted for Logos Bible Software. Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 116
C Devin Chaulk | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 7 2012 6:32 AM

Lynden Williams:

Thanks Lynden! Uriah Smith indeed wrote from the Historic/Covenant Premillennial position. I was able to find a pdf version of his work on Daniel and Revelation (which is found in (http://www.logos.com/product/16019/church-of-god-digital-library-collection-13). I doubt that I'll break down and buy the collection for this particular resource.

However, Smith's work 'Thoughts, Critical and Practical, on the Book of Daniel' is in http://www.logos.com/product/10050/classic-commentaries-and-studies-on-daniel. I'll wait for that one.

Any other recommendations?

Posts 977
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 7 2012 7:54 PM

Hey Devin!

When taking a break from doing your Literary Commentary on Ruth Big Smile you could find out who from the MTS faculty teaches Dan-Rev and ask for a personal reference from his syllabus bibliography.

Posts 11
Andy Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 7 2012 10:51 PM

Lynden Williams:

Please be aware that all SDA commentaries on Daniel (including that of Mr. Smith) use the year 1844 as the foundation for interpreting the prophecy. All dates and numbers must point to 1844 in their eyes. Research investigative judgment, the sanctuary doctrine, the prophet, E.G.White, etc. Not reliable resources, in my view.

Posts 1240
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 7 2012 11:31 PM

Andy Tucker:

Lynden Williams:

Please be aware that all SDA commentaries on Daniel (including that of Mr. Smith) use the year 1844 as the foundation for interpreting the prophecy. All dates and numbers must point to 1844 in their eyes. Research investigative judgment, the sanctuary doctrine, the prophet, E.G.White, etc. Not reliable resources, in my view.

Whoa...I just did a quick search on Seventh Day Adventist eschatology. The idea that Jesus entered a second phase of His redemptive work on October 22, 1844 is unsettling to me. Good catch Andy.

Posts 11
Andy Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 7 2012 11:38 PM

Joshua G:
Whoa...I just did a quick search on Seventh Day Adventist eschatology. The idea that Jesus entered a second phase of His redemptive work on October 22, 1844 is unsettling to me. Good catch Andy.
Their prophet Supported several different fallacies concerning the 1844, sanctuary, investigative judgment  debacle. The organization is locked into defending those doctrines....or they undermine the credibility of their prophet. They first predicted Christ's return on that date. When that didn't happen, The story eventually evolved into the cleansing of the Heavenly Temple...And Christ entering the Most Holy Place to begin an investigative judgment.

My Bible tells me that Christ completed his work of atonement On The Cross, Smile He joined the Father on the throne at His ascension, And that the Judgment occurs after Christ's return.

Posts 4753
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 8 2012 3:21 AM

Andy and Joshua, he asked for books on Daniel that approached it from a historical premillenium perspective. Unless I misunderstand what he wants, these books serve that purpose. Whether or not he agrees with some, all or little of what the authors wrote is up to him.

Diversity never hurt anyone. Most of the books in my library have some information that I do not agree with. By the way, my profile does say that I am a Seventh-day Adventist.

Not the place to discuss the Sanctuary, atonement, or date for the 2300 day prophecy. Logos is making a forum for such topics. When that is complete, then we can have Bible study. If you have burning questions that must be answered, go to the website and look up the documents section, there is plenty of material there.

Blessings in the Lord.

Everything ever written or spoken in Religion, formatted for Logos Bible Software. Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 116
C Devin Chaulk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 8 2012 3:50 AM

Resist the temptation to debate! Smile

Posts 4753
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 8 2012 3:56 AM

C Devin Chaulk:

Resist the temptation to debate! Smile

Noted. Thanks for the reminder.

Posts 11
Andy Tucker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 8 2012 3:57 AM

Lynden Williams:
Andy and Joshua, he asked for books on Daniel that approached it from a historical premillenium perspective.
The title of the thread is "Daniel Commentary Recommendations." I simply recommended that he be aware of the basis of SDA prophecy interpretation.

Posts 116
C Devin Chaulk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 8 2012 8:50 AM

Thanks for the help. Although I do not espouse to the same presuppositions as the SDA (I have my own presuppositions thank you very much Big Smile) I'm sure I will glean some helpful information nonetheless.

Any other evangelical recommendations?

Posts 116
C Devin Chaulk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 8 2012 8:52 AM

David Thomas:

Hey Devin!

When taking a break from doing your Literary Commentary on Ruth Big Smile you could find out who from the MTS faculty teaches Dan-Rev and ask for a personal reference from his syllabus bibliography.

Yes Good call David! Hope God is blessing your studies this semester!

*edit: I forgot to quote David originally. Oops!

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS