Logos Didn't appear after install

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 18
Mark Bahr | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 9 2012 7:53 AM

Howdy.  In addition to being faculty, I'm the IT Director and the institutional "Logos guy" at a small Bible College and Institute in Dallas (we're moving toward Logos being a required part of the student's portfolio).  Yesterday I was installing Logos on a student's laptop (Windows 7 HP), and all seemed to go well until we had to back out of the resource download at 17% due to time factors and a terrible T1 line (don't ever get stuck in a contract with Telwest).  Anyway, most my expertise is in OSX (due to personal use) and Windows XP Pro (due to our shop setup).  Anyway, I tried to demonstrate to him how to do it on his own, but Logos was nowhere to found on the system!?  Is this normal, and if not, how can I prevent this from happening in the future?  In addition, our local ministry development guy was unavailable to bring discs to us as he was out of town--which Logos seems to do to him quite often.  Thank you in advance for your consideration.  As the student is not computer savvy, and I won't be back in the office for 10 days, I had to refer him to tech support.

Posts 5563
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 9 2012 8:06 AM

Mark Bahr:

Howdy.  In addition to being faculty, I'm the IT Director and the institutional "Logos guy" at a small Bible College and Institute in Dallas (we're moving toward Logos being a required part of the student's portfolio).  Yesterday I was installing Logos on a student's laptop (Windows 7 HP) and all seemed to go well until we had to back out of the resource download at 17% due to time factors and a terrible T1 line (don't ever get stuck in a contract with Telwest).  Anyway, most my expertise is in OSX (due to personal use) and Windows XP Pro (due to our shop setup).  Anyway, I tried to demonstrate to him how to do it on his own, but Logos was nowhere to found on the system!?  Is this normal, and if not, how can I prevent this from happening in the future?  Thank you in advance for your consideration.  As the student is not computer savvy, and I won't be back in the office for 10 days, I had to refer him to tech support.

I've not heard of this before, so I don't think it's normal.

Regarding backing out of a download, I assume you mean that you either cancelled it via the tray icon, or you killed the process through task manager. I would not recommend the latter, as it may not allow the Logos downloader to perform it's shutdown routine properly (I don't know the program structure enough to say one way or the other, so I'd choose to be 'safe' on this). Second, it might be better to pause the download, sleep the computer, and finish when it's hooked up again to a better internet connection (for future reference).

If your student has Webroot or Avira anti-virus, and those have not been updated to the most recent virus definitions, Logos could be identified as a false positive. This could account for what you're seeing, though for others, it's not the entire Logos program, but one program component (contracts.dll). On the other hand, those folks were dealing with an update to Logos already installed, so I'm not sure what the interaction might look like for a new installation.

Finally, I assume you know how to find the Logos program. For Win7 it would be C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Logos4 (AppData is a hidden directory and one must be able to view hidden directories/ files to see it). Did you look there, and confirm that the program was not installed? That would be very unusual, given the program was already downloading resources.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 18
Mark Bahr | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 9 2012 8:10 AM

Richard,

Thanks.  We backed out by simply closing the splash screen/window telling us how much had been downloaded.  The systray icon was not present after that--so I assumed that it closed out and cancelled the resource download.

Posts 5563
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 9 2012 8:20 AM

Mark Bahr:

Richard,

Thanks.  We backed out by simply closing the splash screen/window telling us how much had been downloaded.  The systray icon was not present after that--so I assumed that it closed out and cancelled the resource download.

Hmm. You would assume that the Logos installer would be able to handle that in a way that would allow it to recover without losing (much) progress. Did you check the Logos location (see my previous post for location) to confirm that it was not installed, or did you only look on the desktop and in the program menu? It's possible that, given the install program was still running, that it did not yet create the shortcuts to the program.

I'm sure tech support has this figured out, if you've already referred. But for future reference, you may want to check for a systray icon that would allow you to pause the resource download, rather than cancelling the installation process altogether. I don't know if it would work, but it might. Else a reinstall would be in order - which would be the case for the vast majority of programs that don't complete their installation routine.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS