What should I look for in an Ipad?

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 523
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:02 PM

I am considering an Ipad now that Ipad3 is soon coming out.  What should I look for?  Do I need internet access or can I view my books without internet?   How much memory should I need?

Posts 847
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:15 PM

Michael Kinch:

I am considering an Ipad now that Ipad3 is soon coming out.  What should I look for?  Do I need internet access or can I view my books without internet?   How much memory should I need?

Read the responses in this thread http://community.logos.com/forums/t/46687.aspx

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 28372
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 9 2012 12:57 PM

The thread Eric linked to would be a good place to start. To answer your questions - you can download your resources and read/highlight them without an internet connection. Your app will sync the next time you connect to wifi. The smallest iPad is more than adequate for Logos… if that is the only thing you want to do. Adding other apps/music/movies can really add up.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2842
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 9 2012 6:28 PM

As usual, Eric and the boy from Bama have given very good advice.

I would say this about internet access.  All iPads are wifi capable, and wifi is so widely available today.  Nearly every fast food restaurant, motel, airport, coffee shop, hospital, library, and many churches offer free wifi.  I personally think one can do without the 4G / 3G wireless option and save that $130 bucks, PLUS the monthly fee.

That is just my opinion.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 767
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Mar 9 2012 11:03 PM

I have an iPhone 4s with mobile hotspot so I am getting the 64gb wifi only. I do not have access to 4g and don't anticipate it until 5g is the new thing. I live in western Minnesota, population 752.

Posts 894
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 6:08 AM

Michael Childs:

As usual, Eric and the boy from Bama have given very good advice.

I would say this about internet access.  All iPads are wifi capable, and wifi is so widely available today.  Nearly every fast food restaurant, motel, airport, coffee shop, hospital, library, and many churches offer free wifi.  I personally think one can do without the 4G / 3G wireless option and save that $130 bucks, PLUS the monthly fee.

That is just my opinion.

I have a 3g capable iPad2, and I've never activated it because wifi is SO ubiquitous.  Agree: Save the money.  Yes

"I read dead people..."

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 8:16 AM

What should I look for in an Ipad?

SD card slot for expansion.

$100 for 16 or even 32GB of storage upgrade seems a bit excessive.

I am not an Apple person by a long mile, never owned or had a desire to up to this week. But I stayed up most of the night watching live debut of the new iPad. I think it is pretty awesome. Finally. As soon as Novosibirsk has G4 or LTE I am getting it. Arrgh, this puts me off for 5-10 years.

Posts 2759
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 9:51 AM

toughski:

SD card slot for expansion.

$100 for 16 or even 32GB of storage upgrade seems a bit excessive.

NO such iPad. It doesn't have an SD card slot and I doubt ever will. You can buy a $29 dongle to allow you to import photos and videos from an SD card, but that's all. 

To answer your questions ask these questions in this order.

1. Do you need always on Internet? I know other have said that Wi-Fi is ubiquitous but not "always available" at least not where I live. If you need always on Internet, then go with the 3G/4G version. YOu have a choice of AT&T and Verizon. The AT&T will have faster 3G speeds in most areas, but Verizon will have faster 4G speeds if you have both available. AT&T's 4G network is rolling out slower than Verizons. Go ask both and find out their estimates of when you will get it. My closest town will get Verizon 4G by year's end and AT&T not till next year.

2. What will you use it for? You can get 16, 32, or 64 GB of data. The new iPad has a much higher resolution screen so apps will take up more room. It also finally has a good camera that you might actually want to use for taking pictures. It records video in 1080p HD. If you think you will do either the avoid the 16 and get as much as you can afford. If you will only use it for Logos, then realize once you start you will also start using it for more. But if you really only plan to use it for email, web, and Logos 16 is plenty.

3. Will you load it up with lots of movies? Get as big as you can afford. However, a link says not as bad as we though. See this to see why HD video may not be that bad after all. http://arstechnica.com/#!/apple/news/2012/03/new-itunes-1080p-looks-good-through-better-h264-compression.ars

HOpe this helps. If you click the GottaBeMobile link below we have a boat load of coverage on the iPad.

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 10:59 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
HOpe this helps. If you click the GottaBeMobile link below we have a boat load of coverage on the iPad.

Kevin, the links in your signature/footer are messed up.

The CCMag one goes to an error, and the other two go to the CCMag homepage.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 28372
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 3:19 PM

Kevin A. Purcell:
I know other have said that Wi-Fi is ubiquitous but not "always available" at least not where I live. If you need always on Internet, then go with the 3G/4G version.

I mostly agree with Kevin here. Where I live, I have wifi 1) at home, 2) at school/wife's work, 3) at church, 4) at the casual restaurants / coffee shops I frequent. At my in-laws, I don't have wifi 1) at home, 2) at my in-laws work, 3) at my in-laws church, 4) at the casual restaurants / coffee shops I frequent. Living where I do, I don't see any need to have a 3G/4G connection (especially since I have an iPhone). If I lived near my in-laws, it would be a necessity. Most people live somewhere in the middle, and you have to judge how you might be using your iPad.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 894
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 4:04 PM

alabama24:
I don't see any need to have a 3G/4G connection (especially since I have an iPhone).

As mentioned in an earlier post, you may choose to tether your ipad (essentially a mobile wifi hotspot) if you have a smartphone.  Both IOS and Andoid phone are capable if your provider offers the service.  AND there is an additional monthly charge (with AT&T anyway) for tethering.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2012 6:53 AM

Something else to consider is that as app developers update their apps to work with the new iPad's retina screen, it looks like the amount of storage space apps take up on the iPad is set to grow.  Check out this article which explains it in more detail.

Admittedly, apps do take up a relatively small amount of iPad storage space overall, however this is something to be aware of in order to make an informed decision, especially if you plan on downloading a lot of the more storage intensive apps.

Posts 523
Michael Kinch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2012 7:15 AM

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate all of your help.  I came across this last night at the bestbuy.ca website (I live in Canada).  It is a windows 7 based tablet.  I know a lot of people are big fans of Ipad.  But I think this might be a good alternative.  There are some books that we cannot view in an ipad so this would give me access to all of my library.  I am currently studying a volume which is not available on biblia.com so I am guessing it would not be available on ipad either.  It would be good to be able to read it from my computer at work.  I don't like to caryy my laptop back and forth to work every day.  This tablet will be released here in Canada next month.  I am not sure about in the USA.  Here is the link.  http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/toshiba-toshiba-10-64gb-windows-tablet-with-wi-fi-silver-wt200-00e/10196247.aspx?path=3369349a021768f3a44d34dcb9530b77en02   My purpose is primarily bible study using logos and some other software programs.  One of which does not have an ipad app, though the others do and I could certainly get along with logos and the other ipad app materials.   Please let me know what your thoughts are. 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2012 7:12 PM

Michael Kinch:
This tablet will be released here in Canada next month.  I am not sure about in the USA.  Here is the link.  http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/toshiba-toshiba-10-64gb-windows-tablet-with-wi-fi-silver-wt200-00e/10196247.aspx?path=3369349a021768f3a44d34dcb9530b77en02 

Looking at hardware specifications, noticed netbook processor, which can be noticeably slow (e.g. indexing entire library could take hours or days, suggest having power adapter plugged in).  Visual filter highlighting involves searching, which can be adversely affected by processor speed (longer time to display on screen).

If was shopping for an ultrabook for use with Logos 4, currently would look at an Apple refurbished MacBook Air 2011 model with 4 GB RAM => http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_air (same warranty and packaging as new)

Caveat: anticipating Apple to reduce price of refurbished models concurrent with announcement of MacBook Air model refreshes (perhaps June from some Intel mobile CPU rumors).

Noticed => http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC965LL/A is $ 1,099 with 1.7 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, and 1440 x 900 resolution screen.  Along with being faster, this MacBook Air is a bit heavier: 1.35 kg is more than 799 g (by ~ 551 g).  For $ 999, MacBook Air has same screen resolution of 1366 x 768 as Toshiba => http://store.apple.com/ca/product/FC969LL/A (1.6 GHz i5, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD) and a bit lighter at 1.08 kg.

Appears Toshiba tablet does not have a keyboard so typing on screen before purchase may be prudent.  An iPad has a usable onscreen keyboard.

Thread => Tablet for reading includes some comments about using Logos 4 on a Windows tablet.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS