A CP plug on behalf of a Logos user, tentmaker in the Middle East

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 18867
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 10 2012 5:28 AM

A Logos user who asked not to be named due to the sensitive nature of their ministry has emailed me privately and requested that I push for bids on two bundles in CP that are getting close but need some help. This user writes:

"Logos has been an amazing tool for us as we can carry around thousands of books at no weight. There are currently 2 collections in the community pricing that are critical for people like us:

http://www.logos.com/product/16423/the-works-of-samuel-m-zwemer

http://www.logos.com/product/16300/islamic-studies-collection

Books by Zwemer are difficult to get into our country. And then, I cannot get so many books so cheap and at no weight. But these books would really help us with our ministry here. Maybe people on the forum could see these 2 x $30 as their contribution to mission work, at least it enables people like us to be better equipped."

I will personally put in a second for the books of Zwemer at least (and I've got bids in on both of these collections). I stumbled on his name in a bibliography while reading a well-known book on missions, From Jerusalem to Irian Jaya. I was intrigued by the title and looked up the book, found it available free online on Google Books (images only), and decided to go about converting it to a PB, reading it myself in the process. I had gotten all the way through my work (though hadn't finished reading it) when I saw that Logos was offering this very book as part of The Works of Samuel M Zwemer collection. The book is Raymund Lull: First Missionary to the Moslems. I'd pay $30 for that book alone. You can have a whole collection of books by this author at that price.

Bidding is nearly 80% on the Zwemer collection, and just over 60% on the Islamic Studies one.

Why not give them a push today?

(And while you're at it, bid around $40 or $50 on the Classic Commentaries on Revelation. Don't join with the high bidders on this one. If no one joins them, they will fall! And we'll all come out winners in the end.)

Posts 2279
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 5:41 AM

Thanks for posting this, Rosie.

I had already bid on the Islamic Studies Collection (our church is in the heart of a Bangladeshi/Pakistani community which is predominantly Muslim), but had overlooked the Zwemer collection. I have just placed my bid.

Posts 1374
nicky crane | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 11:00 AM

You don't have to be a tentmaker in a sensitive country to bid for these!  I bid the moment they appeared on my screen, and either started or contributed to e thread recommending them.  Even in sunny (momentarily snowy...) I'm wild about the idea of all these classics for little money and less weight.  I have yards and yards of books weighing down my bookshelves, including all I've been able to find second hand by zwemer.  Many of us working in sensitive or insensitive countries would,or should(!) bve very grateful for these 2 collections!

Posts 329
Ralph Mauch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 11:07 AM

Rosie Perera:

Why not give them a push today?

Yes

Posts 386
MJD | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2012 12:58 AM

I agree, and have bid on both! 

Posts 6586
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2012 1:11 AM

Put in a bid on the Islamic Studies collection.

All Religious Education in Logos Bible Software. Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 2759
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2012 1:58 AM

I was already in on both

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 10731
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2012 3:14 AM

Thanks for the heads up here, but I was already in on both

Posts 205
Oldnewbie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2012 3:32 PM

Jack Caviness:

Thanks for the heads up here, but I was already in on both

Likewise, I'm also in on both.

Posts 847
Eric Weiss | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2012 4:42 PM

I was in on just the Islamic studies, but $30 is a pittance to help your missionary friend, so I'm in on both, too. Thanks for the message!

Optimistically Egalitarian (Galatians 3:28)

Posts 1880
Philana Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2012 4:50 PM

I'm in on both!

Posts 1367
JimTowler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2012 4:55 PM

I wish we could bid, but also throw $5 to someone else too. It would be great if we could not only push these titles over the edge, but also fund it for others in greater need.

Only problem that comes to mind would be how to stop such asking and giving from becoming a management nightmare for the Logos website.

If nothing else, we can force CPs to low prices, and those needing can buy in while its at the low point ...

Posts 66
David Beard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2012 5:48 PM

Thanks for this thread--what a great ministry--we are all lucky to be able to be a part of this...let's push it!Big Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2012 5:56 PM

Rosie Perera:

"Logos has been an amazing tool for us as we can carry around thousands of books at no weight. There are currently 2 collections in the community pricing that are critical for people like us:

http://www.logos.com/product/16423/the-works-of-samuel-m-zwemer

http://www.logos.com/product/16300/islamic-studies-collection

Looks like bidding progress has 78 % and 63 % so more Logos community bids are needed to cover 100 % of estimated production costs.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 564
Jesse Blevins | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 11 2012 7:41 PM

I am in on both.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS