New logos base package

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 57 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1535
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 10 2012 1:01 PM

Has there been any word that logos is going to be putting together a new base package higher then portfolio? Is there a time sequence where a new package is built every couple years? I am anxious for upgrade... Wink

Posts 2046
LogosEmployee
Phil Gons (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 2:04 PM

It's a subject of discussion for the next generation of base packages, which will probably coincide with the launch of Logos 5. But we're not sure at this point. If you have thoughts on name, price, contents, etc., feel free to share them.

Posts 9396
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 2:28 PM

Phil,

I think that the Platinum package was weakened quite a bit by the loss of the Baker titles and might need strengthening for the next round.

If you develop another package I'd want it to be more more focused on basic Bible study and research than the platinum package is. It needs to include another  good commentary set, like Word or NICOT/NICNT, a solid dictionary like ISBE, Rev, or AYBD (or perhaps Interpreters if that ever comes out). Also add all the stuff in the SESB Logos upgrade to strengthen the OL side (esp. the missing apparatuses). It might be really compelling if you could add the IVP Reference Collection. This could make the jump up in the range of $1,000 or more, but that is a lot less than the jump to Portfolio. Bulk up what pastors and seminarians need as they would probably be the best customers at this level.

I wouldn't be in the market for this sort of package (I have most of it), but it would be a logical next step up from Platinum for those who haven't been around for awhile and taken advantage of pre-pubs and sales. If not another package then the 'private talk' with Sales once one gets to Platinum would be nice - a custom 'package' based on interests and needs - would be nice (I got a bit at the Christmas 'private' sale that was quite helpful.)

Maybe move from metals to gems at this level. Scholars Emerald Edition. (We'll leave Diamond for something really big.) Or just have Platinum I, II, III and so on.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 2:29 PM

I'd been thinking if there was going to be a package higher than Portfolio, it should be called Suitcase.

Posts 1535
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 2:36 PM

Phil Gons:

It's a subject of discussion for the next generation of base packages, which will probably coincide with the launch of Logos 5. But we're not sure at this point. If you have thoughts on name, price, contents, etc., feel free to share them.

Thanks for the reply... The name portfolio is kinda a hard name to top. I thought of diamond, but logically that would fall under the name portfolio. Kinda like gold, silver, and platinum would be all parts of the portfolio so would diamond, so in my thinking it is kinda hard to top.

Personally being able to purchase a custom portfolio would be cool. My studies are doctrinal based so many of the books I have purchased that are not part of the package are systematic theologies, journals etc.

Some people may be more into the original language so to be able to have a portfolio edition custom to that would be cool also.

I am not saying that a new theological portfolio edition should just come with systematic theologies, and journals, just that it could be the trust of that particular package. 

As far as price Logos has always been fair so no thoughts there.

Posts 1535
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 2:36 PM

Rosie Perera:

I'd been thinking if there was going to be a package higher than Portfolio, it should be called Suitcase.

LOL

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 2:40 PM

Phil Gons:
If you have thoughts on name, price, contents, etc., feel free to share them.

Name: Logos 5 Kryptonite.

Contents: everything Logos publishes.

Price: $2 per volume no exclusions, all or no go.

Terms: dollar for dollar credit for all prior purchases from Logos.com

Example: Cost to purchase 20,000 titles would be $40,000. A user who has already spent $10,000 could upgrade for $30,000. A user that has purchased $20,000 would pay $20,000 more. All Kryptonite users get to purchase all future resources for $2 per volume as they are published. Sound expensive? Some people spend this much remodeling their kitchens. So sell the boat and the Harley and your vacation cabin, visit Grandmom for the holidays this year. Start saving for Logos 5 Kryptonite!

disclaimer: Super.Tramp (aka Matthew C Jones) has no insider information, influence or policy-making authority at Logos. I'm just doing a little wishful thinking. So don't go on a selling spree until Bob or Dan Pritchett announce the availability of a deal you can not live without. Wink

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 2:45 PM

Super Tramp:
Example: Cost to purchase 20,000 titles would be $40,000. A user who has already spent $10,000 could upgrade for $30,000.

Does that mean a user who has spent $60,000 could upgrade and get $20,000 back? Just a hypothetical user. No one I know. Wink  (Ahem. Not that there's anything else in Logos's catalog that this hypothetical user might want that he/she didn't already have, but it might be worth it for him or her to get $20K back for the time it would take to hide all the junky resources he/she didn't want.)

Posts 8654
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 2:47 PM

Scholars Unobtanium: Everything Logos has ever produced up to that point.  

I get 15% for the first package sold.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 8654
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 2:53 PM
Bummer, ST had me beat by 7 minutes while my internet slowed to a crawl.

Hmm Sarcasm is my love language. Obviously I love you. 

Posts 1813
Robert M. Warren | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 3:12 PM

Rosie Perera:
it should be called Suitcase.

It should be called Suitcase Full O' Cash.

Win 10 | Android 9 | Fire OS 5

Posts 28718
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 3:21 PM

Rosie Perera:

Or Kitchen Sink.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 898
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 3:27 PM

Mark Smith:
I think that the Platinum package was weakened quite a bit by the loss of the Baker titles

Yes Totally agree. Please consider this.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 3:27 PM

Phil Gons:

Since I have Platinum and can't justify the upgrade to Portfolio, I'm not likely to do more than a crossgrade, unless there was some incremental step between Platinum and Portfolio - preferably focusing on full commentary sets, journals, and the like.

Another option that I might consider is a base-package add-on that would focus on developing a particular area of study. What this might look like would be similar to the Catholic library builder or base package, in that it specializes in some way. But I wouldn't be interested in just a Reformed package or some other stream of theology. I would be interested in a well-chosen package devoted to New Testament Studies that draws from a broad range of theological traditions.To do that well would require input from the academic community in 'cherry-picking' the best resources for such kinds of foci.

I could see options such as NT studies, OT studies, Homiletical studies, Apologetic studies, Church history studies, and/or centered around the loci of systematic theology.

As it is now, going 'up' the base package ladder tends to broaden one's options. However, in most higher education programs the farther one goes, the narrower the focus becomes. If we had an option to specialize our base package in this way, I might be very interested in enhancing my current base package in this way, for a typically-amazing Logos introductory price. I'd think of it as a side-grade, rather than an upgrade.

Just a thought.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 898
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 3:34 PM

Super Tramp:

Name: Logos 5 Kryptonite.

Contents: everything Logos publishes.

Price: $2 per volume no exclusions, all or no go.

ST is on the right track here.  At the rate that Logos publishes new titles, the true connoisseur would remain a constant customer in order to keep the library complete.  Win/Win.  Um, $1 per volume would actually sell some units though...

"I read dead people..."

Posts 2674
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 3:35 PM

Rosie Perera:

Super Tramp:
Example: Cost to purchase 20,000 titles would be $40,000. A user who has already spent $10,000 could upgrade for $30,000.

Does that mean a user who has spent $60,000 could upgrade and get $20,000 back?

$20,000 in Logos credit sounds about right - They supported Logos and now that Logos is up a running [as seen by the $2 everything price] Logos says thanks

[there can not be too many in that group]

Posts 1535
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 3:38 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
But I wouldn't be interested in just a Reformed package or some other stream of theology. I would be interested in a well-chosen package devoted to New Testament Studies that draws from a broad range of theological traditions.To do that well would require input from the academic community in 'cherry-picking' the best resources for such kinds of foci.

I second that Yes 

Posts 19073
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 3:43 PM

Richard DeRuiter:
Another option that I might consider is a base-package add-on that would focus on developing a particular area of study. What this might look like would be similar to the Catholic library builder or base package, in that it specializes in some way. But I wouldn't be interested in just a Reformed package or some other stream of theology. I would be interested in a well-chosen package devoted to New Testament Studies that draws from a broad range of theological traditions.To do that well would require input from the academic community in 'cherry-picking' the best resources for such kinds of foci.

I could see options such as NT studies, OT studies, Homiletical studies, Apologetic studies, Church history studies, and/or centered around the loci of systematic theology.

They do already have the Essential Bundles in Reference, OT Studies, NT Studies, and Biblical Studies. I suggested elsewhere that they should add one in Church History. But they should also do with ones in all these other areas you mention. Also maybe some other interdisciplinary fields such as Ancient Near East Studies, Christianity and the Arts/Literature, Philosophy/Theology, Pastoral Care, Discipleship and Spiritual Formation, etc.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 3:52 PM

Rosie Perera:
They do already have the Essential Bundles in Reference, OT Studies, NT Studies, and Biblical Studies. I suggested elsewhere that they should add one in Church History. But they should also do with ones in all these other areas you mention. Also maybe some other interdisciplinary fields such as Ancient Near East Studies, Christianity and the Arts/Literature, Philosophy/Theology, Pastoral Care, Discipleship and Spiritual Formation, etc.

Well, that's a start. I would tweak this in two ways: first make this a genuine 'side-grade' package for scholars and above, so that when L5 comes out, all the new L5 tools come bundled with the side-grade. Second, a 50 volume bundle for NT seems a little thin, and there are no journals included. While the package does add nicely to a base package, it could be more expansive (IMHO) for this sort of thing.

I do like your other suggestions for more areas of specialization. Some would lend themselves more to study in the Logos research environment than others, but they're all important areas of study. Other (underdeveloped IMHO) loci would be the area of Worship & Liturgy and the area of Prayer.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 10 2012 3:53 PM

Phil Gons:
will probably coincide with the launch of Logos 5.
Surprise

Surely Logos 5 is a long way off!

After all Logos 4 still doesn't work properly!

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Page 1 of 3 (58 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS