Guide: Export to Kindle with native TOC, Footnotes, and Chapter Navigation Marks

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 41 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2012 6:13 PM

Sir Maru:
Stripping out copy protection still violates the EULA as demonstrated earlier in this thread.

Circumventing copy protection does violate the EULA. But using Logos' built in copy/paste and export features doesn't.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/27872/223644.aspx#223644

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2012 6:44 PM

Mark Barnes:

Sir Maru:
Stripping out copy protection still violates the EULA as demonstrated earlier in this thread.

Circumventing copy protection does violate the EULA. But using Logos' built in copy/paste and export features doesn't.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/27872/223644.aspx#223644

From that link: "I have no idea who this will antagonize or not. Some publishers, for example, are happy to support "buy once, read anywhere," others are not. (We can't even enable some books for iPhone access because of publisher restrictions.)"

In addition to the policy of the publishers there are jurisdictional laws to consider.  Australia may not allow this but the UK may allow it.  In the US we also have all kinds of laws including 50 different state laws.

The question is: does export of copyrighted material constitute violation of a copyright if its used by the licensee of the original material?  I have no answer to that question.  It is a legal question and, since I am not an attorney, I cannot answer it.

Amazon's own rules may prohibit export to a Kindle document of other copyrighted books.  Amazon has their own agreements with all the publishers all of which may be different.

On the Kindle Forums there is constant debate on whether using Caliber and other software to convert Sony, Barnes&Nobe and Kindle eBooks to each other's format is legal.  In my opinion this is dangerous territory best to be avoided until it is finally decided by international authorities.

My own policy is to simply buy another copy of a resource if I need it for a different device.  In fact eBibles for the Kindle Keyboard cannot be used properly on the Kindle Fire. Thus, I now own THREE copies of the major eBibles: Logos for the PC, Osnova for the Kindle Keyboard and Tecarta for the Kindle Fire.  Unfortunately for me my Bible Dictionary and Bible Encyclopedia only have editions for Logos on the PC and Osnova on the Kindle Keyboard.  I cannot yet get copies of those resources for the Kindle Fire from any source.

The only items I exported were my own Notes made on Logos for the PC which I had to email separately to the Kindle Keyboard and the Kindle Fire in the proper formats for each (different email addresses and processed differently by Amazon).

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2012 6:57 PM

Sir Maru:

Amazon sells all songs for 99 cents US each.  One does not have to buy the CD.  One gets that MP3 song as a download and can use it on any device by a single owner.  There is no copy protection on that MP3 file other than a 6 digit serial number which may not be removed.  That is why I buy all my songs from Amazon.  Apple, on the other hand, still uses a form of copy protection for the same songs.  

I have nothing to add to this discussion on fair use except that none of you seem to be lawyers, and this topic has been debated by legal experts ad nauseum with no resolution. It will not be settled without a supreme court decision.

I would like to point out that Apple no longer uses copy protection on songs purchased from iTunes. The file does include a record of the account on which it was purchased (similar to Amazon's serial number), but that's all.

Posts 32
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2012 8:23 PM

Sir Maru,

USA companies, for reasons I do not know, appear to treat the rest of the world like poo.  Amazon is a prime example of this.  They will not sell MP3s to the us, even though we can buy the MP3s from other places online like iTunes with no problems.  Many Kindle books are not available outside the USA, even though they can be bought here off-the-shelf or purchased from the book depository in the UK.

I may be wrong, but my guess would be that Amazon Prime will be restricted to USA and Canada.

FWIW I am very pro USA but it is very easy to understand why so many dislike the USA for the reasons I mention.  You guys export your filth all over the world but we cannot buy good books from Amazon.

</end-of-rant>

Posts 32
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2012 8:31 PM

Sir Maru,

Amazon may sell YOU 99 cent MP3s.  They won't sell them to me in New Zealand.

Also, you wrote : "In the long run its far easier to comply with all the rules and use legal work arounds rather than buck the system."

But this is surely a faith statement.  Begging, pleading, pressuring, these book and music industry giants is exactly what is needed isn't it?  Are these companies not at present facing the courts due to price fixing allegations?  

As I have said earlier, I would prefer to give my $$$ to Christian companies like Logos so that they can compete and develop new product.

Posts 1502
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2012 11:13 PM

Rob:

Nice work.  I do similar on my Mac...

-- copy book text as you suggest

-- paste into M$ word

-- add a cover image and the other book meta text to the start of the Word doc

-- save doc in .doc format and email as an attachment to your Kindle email address with the word convert in the subject line.  Of course, you need to set up your Kindle page so that you have an email address of the convert process.

-- wait a few minutes and the books will appear beautifully formatted like a nice Kindle book.

I have used this method to shift a small pile of Vyrso fiction books from Logos to my Kindle.  It is a little painful but worth it as I cannot read the books on Logos or Vyrso.  Kindle by contrast is wonderful !!!

PS. You could probably use Mellel and export as a .doc file, but Mellel just doesn't have the great importing support that Word has.

Rob, the advantage to the method I describe in my post is that the footnotes work, together with a native TOC (you can select the "Go to..." button and then go to the Table of Contents), and then the options to navigate the chapters work as well.

If you don't need those features for a book, the slightly simpler method you describe will be faster.

Posts 32
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2012 11:32 PM

Yes, the method you describe is great -- much appreciated.  It would be really nice if there was a Mac app that could make Kindle books and TOC etc like iBooks Creator makes Apple iBooks.  The Apple app is amazing and beautiful.  

Posts 178
Sir Maru | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 9:53 AM

Rob:

But this is surely a faith statement.  Begging, pleading, pressuring, these book and music industry giants is exactly what is needed isn't it?  Are these companies not at present facing the courts due to price fixing allegations?  

I have read elsewhere that the US Government is taking action against 5 publishers AND Apple for price fixing.  Amazon is NOT a target of that action.  In addition, prior to the Apple agreement with the publishers, ALL Amazon eBooks sold for $ 9.99 even if the pBooks cost $ 100.  After the Apple agreement Amazon now clearly displays on every book purchase page if the publisher imposed a price higher than the Amazon standard.  I never purchase eBooks if Amazon posted a warning like that.  In effect Amazon is waging a passive economic boycott against the price fixers.

Also, the Amazon Lending Program allows readers to borrow eBooks for no additional cost if they paid the $ 80 per year for the Amazon Prime Membership.  Publishers have to okay it but they benefit because many, who borrow eBooks, end up buying them if they later decide they want to keep the eBook permanently.

Finally, for the past few months authors now can sell directly through Amazon without going through publishers at all.  Those eBooks sell for a rock bottom price since the publishers do not get any cut on those eBooks.  In addition, Amazon prints pBook copies for those who want them.  Many best sellers can now be borrowed from the largest library in the world - Amazon.  In contrast to municipal libraries, there is no waiting time for borrowing any eBook.

I notice that even Logos has set up an internet site for its customers where they can read all purchased Bibles here: http://biblia.com/

Another site has been set up where hundreds of bibles in dozens of languages can now be read free of charge here: http://www.biblegateway.com/

If Christians want the Word, there are many places now where they can get it FREE if they just look.

The big value of Logos is its integration of thousands of resources into one application.  No one else can duplicate that.  Thus, once the Logos Android App goes Gold with full search capabilities across all its downloaded resources without the presence of WiFi, its own sales will probably explode.  All these other sources of the Word are separated and uncoordinated.  I'm still hoping we will see that happen before Easter of this year.

There is simply no need to export copyrighted eBooks to a Kindle if that action may violate the Amazon rules and countless juridictional rules at the present time.  One can temporarily obtain a legal free or low cost alternative until Logos gets its own Kindle Fire eBooks in shape.

Posts 4
Carl Hargrove | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 11:54 AM

Thanks for the post. I am seeking to do this for iBooks. However, I am having a problem setting the TOC. I am using Word 2011 (Mac). When right clicking, I do no get an option to Select text with similar formatting. Any suggestions on getting information for this step?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 4:30 PM

Carl Hargrove:

Thanks for the post. I am seeking to do this for iBooks. However, I am having a problem setting the TOC. I am using Word 2011 (Mac). When right clicking, I do no get an option to Select text with similar formatting. Any suggestions on getting information for this step?

Observation: Logos offers free mobile apps for iOS devices => http://www.logos.com/apps (my Logos library has a bit over 90 % available for use in Logos mobile apps; some publishers restrict Logos resource use to Logos 4).

Hence a bit curious about iBooks ?

By the way, Mac Beta forum has thread => Bug: Logos 4.5b Beta 5 Copy Bible Verse paragraph formatting since all text pasted into Word 2011 always has normal style for all paragraphs.  Also concur Word 2011 on Mac lacks Select text with similar formatting.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 10038
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 4:51 PM

Just browsing the thread and looking at the original OP's description, what he's doing is no different from me copying the text so I can analyze it in a different program on my PC. Obviously Logos creates the means to do that; I don't remember what the guidance was for 'how much'. But given the functionality, I'd assume they have some type of agreement with the publishers.

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, May 27 2012 6:02 PM

DMB:

Just browsing the thread and looking at the original OP's description, what he's doing is no different from me copying the text so I can analyze it in a different program on my PC. Obviously Logos creates the means to do that; I don't remember what the guidance was for 'how much'. But given the functionality, I'd assume they have some type of agreement with the publishers.

If you have to do the copy and past procedure more than once (and Logos does limit on how much we can copy and past), I do believe that it violates EULA.

Posts 1502
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2012 1:39 AM

Carl Hargrove:

I don't use Mac, but this page here explains how to do it in Word for Mac.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macword/how-to-select-text-with-similar-format/5d2c6a3f-e265-4856-b296-000188c146ca?msgId=55179ec0-d553-4547-8496-c283eff3a6ea

Turn on the Toolbox (View> Toolbox> Styles), then select content that's formatted & click the Select All button near the top of the Styles pane.

Posts 291
Bob Schlessman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2012 4:32 AM

Thank you Father Devin for a very useful post. I have long desired just such a procedure, especially when traveling.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 28 2012 5:26 AM

Fr Devin Roza:

Carl Hargrove:

I don't use Mac, but this page here explains how to do it in Word for Mac.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac/forum/macoffice2011-macword/how-to-select-text-with-similar-format/5d2c6a3f-e265-4856-b296-000188c146ca?msgId=55179ec0-d553-4547-8496-c283eff3a6ea

Turn on the Toolbox (View> Toolbox> Styles), then select content that's formatted & click the Select All button near the top of the Styles pane.

Observation: Select All highlights all text that has the same Normal style plus text formatting.  Once Table of Contents (TOC) is highlighted, then click appropriate Heading # style to apply (and add selected text to TOC).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 12 2014 5:45 PM

Time to resurrect this wonderful guide! I've found recently that, as it turns out, the entire Sigil step can be cut out of this process. Calibre is capable of detecting and creating the table of contents all on its own. In the conversion options in Calibre, go to the Table of Contents page and manually set the XPath expressions for the various levels of the ToC. For most documents, it will look like this:

Calibre Screenshot

If you need to tweak it further, there's always the "manually fine-tune" checkbox.

Happy reading!

Posts 1502
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 14 2014 9:29 AM

Thanks, Mitchell. Great find! I had noticed that Table of Contents tab before in Calibre, but didn't know how to use it.

Posts 10038
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 14 2014 10:46 AM

This needs to be put in a Logos routine. Very handy.

Posts 451
Mitchell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 15 2014 4:30 PM

Fr Devin Roza:

Thanks, Mitchell. Great find! I had noticed that Table of Contents tab before in Calibre, but didn't know how to use it.

Happy to share what I've learned. Thank you so much for sharing the original process, it's been invaluable to me! I owe you a beer if you're ever in Pasadena.

Page 2 of 3 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS