Replacing a bad resource file?

Page 1 of 1 (16 items)
This post has 15 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 18 2012 6:52 PM

Hi, friends.

I seem to have one bad resource file. The book is 1001 Illustrations that Connect. Whenever I try to open it, Logos 4 crashes and must be restarted.

In the past, I could simply download the file from Products and replace it. How do I replace this resource now?

Many thanks.

Posts 29189
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2012 7:08 PM

Rob Suggs:
How do I replace this resource now?

Off the top of my head, the easiest way for me (a non-techie) to accomplish this would be to hide the resource, then unhide it. ("hiding" it removes it from your computer, unhiding it redownoads it).

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 29189
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2012 7:13 PM

In case you don't know how to "hide" a resource, you can read about it HERE in the wiki.

By the way, I noticed several of your books are in Vyrso. Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2012 9:34 PM

That's a great suggestion, Bama 24, and I bet it fixes my problem! Thanks from a neighbor in Georgia.

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2012 9:45 PM

Suggestion was great, but the new file is also crashing the program!

In other words, I hid it, unhid it, Logos indeed redownloaded the file, and I've tried opening it twice and got the crash. I guess this will be one for customer support.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2012 9:52 PM

Wonder about diagnostic logs ?

Wiki has => http://wiki.logos.com/Diagnostic_Logging

Apologies: not have 1001 Illustrations that Connect in my Logos library.

Rob Suggs:
I guess this will be one for customer support.

Phone lines open in about 8 hours => http://www.logos.com/about/contact

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 19175
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 18 2012 10:18 PM

Rob, it might not be a corrupt resource file. It might be a recent bug in Logos. I've encountered a crashing bug when opening a particular resource just today. Cannot open it for the life of me. It has to do with the last location I was in when I was reading that resource, I think, and there's no way to reset it back to the beginning of the resource without opening the resource. Kind of a Catch-22.

But yeah, log files would help diagnose what's happening in your case and see if it's related to mine.

Posts 2477
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 5:42 AM

Rosie -

Will opening up the resource on a different computer allow you to change the last location?

Posts 19175
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 6:04 AM

Ronald Quick:

Will opening up the resource on a different computer allow you to change the last location?

That's a great suggestion! Unfortunately it didn't work. I was able to open the resource on another computer, scrolled up to the top and then closed it. Then came back to this computer and tried to open it, and it crashed again.

I'm beginning to wonder whether I've got problems with the memory on this machine. Some (but not all) of the crash logs I've been getting include this error "System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

Posts 1649
Room4more | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 6:14 AM

Hide it, which removes it, then force an index, then update resources which should re-dwnload the book. The force index should remove any instance of it being used[possibly].

Worth a try....

DISCLAIMER: What you do on YOUR computer is your doing.

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 11:00 AM

Rosie, I think you may be right. I'm on the beta program for Logos, and it wouldn't surprise me if this is something that hasn't been caught yet. I'm going to try Room4's suggestion also.

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 3:44 PM

Just in case you're keeping score...

Hid the resource again. Restarted.

Rebuilt index until complete.

Unhid resource. Restarted. 

Crashed again.

Posts 19175
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 19 2012 9:23 PM

Rob Suggs:

Crashed again.

Same thing happened for me.

Rob, you said you're using the beta. I wonder if this is another manifestation of the same bug that has been plaguing others lately, which Logos is aware of and says will be fixed in Beta 5. The crash log contains the same error message for me: "Attempted to read or write protected memory." If you look in your Logos4Crash.txt file do you find that text anywhere? If so, I'm guessing it's the same thing.

Posts 11621
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 12:55 AM

Rosie Perera:

Rob Suggs:

Crashed again.

Same thing happened for me.

Rob, you said you're using the beta. I wonder if this is another manifestation of the same bug that has been plaguing others lately, which Logos is aware of and says will be fixed in Beta 5. The crash log contains the same error message for me: "Attempted to read or write protected memory." If you look in your Logos4Crash.txt file do you find that text anywhere? If so, I'm guessing it's the same thing.

Just reproduced this: 

Error ID: 2943

Error detail: AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 19175
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 12:57 AM

NB.Mick:
Error detail: AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

I'm glad to know several other people are getting the same error about corrupt memory. That means it's probably not likely something wrong with my memory. (My computer memory anyway. I know my own memory is getting less reliable as the years march on... )

Posts 106
Rob Suggs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 20 2012 4:55 AM

"Error ID: 2943

Error detail: AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt."

Yes, Rosie--It appears I have the problem that you and others are experiencing. Apparently it manifests itself, and whatever resource you happened to be using then becomes inaccessible. Thanks for catching this!

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS