Mikko Paavola | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Mar 25 2012 7:07 AM

I would really like to have subcategories in collections:

- Collection 1

- Subcollection 1

- Subcollection 2

- Collection 2

- Subcollection 1

...etc.

And a tick box in collection options wether or not to include the resources in subcollections also in the main collection.

Example of use:

- Systematic theology

- Confessions and Catechisms

- Dogmatics

- Missiology

- Ethics

- Philosophy of religion

- History

- Church history

- Bible history

- Ancient non-Christian history

- Modern non-Christian history

Faithlife Connect + several Base Packages + Luther's Works, etc.
Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 260, Win 10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6500U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 520.
iPhone 7 Plus.

Posts 23962
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2012 8:12 AM

Hi Mikko

Functionality you can do this by having a collection act as a component within another collection.

Does this give you what you want?

Graham

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2012 8:28 AM

I was going to say the same thing that Graham said, but there is no way to display what collection is a subcategory of another collection.

Posts 23962
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2012 8:56 AM

Hi Tom

tom collinge:
there is no way to display what collection is a subcategory of another collection.

Yes, good point.

But I guess this similar to the fact that there is no way to tell what book is in which collection - i.e. it is a one-way relationship.

(I know if you build collections based on tags you can see which books are tagged by particular tags and hence derive which are in which collection but there is no direct relationship).

So this is probably an architectural issue which I could see as being quite difficult to change - as it would (potentially) significantly increase the number of relationships. So it comes down to a question of how useful knowing the reverse relationship would be.

I can't immediately think of cases where this would be particularly useful but I am sure there are some!

Graham

Posts 19121
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2012 12:14 PM

tom collinge:

I was going to say the same thing that Graham said, but there is no way to display what collection is a subcategory of another collection.

The master collection definition tab will show you this:

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 25 2012 12:39 PM

Also some consider it helpful to have similar collections grouped. So for example they would name them...

History, All

History, Bible

History, Church

History, Modern non-Christian

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS