I would like to know more about word search feautes

Page 1 of 1 (14 items)
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2220
Tes | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 26 2012 2:46 AM

I have become more enthusiastic to learn when , I saw in http://community.logos.com/forums/t/47500.aspx what Dave has mentioned about, how to limit search"Holy BEFORE 1 word Holy BEFORE 1 word Holy" I have tried this and it has given me  a wonderful result. So I think it would be very useful if there is away to learn more about such search features   apart what is already in the Wiki.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 9877
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 2:53 AM

Hi Tes

Have you matched Mark Barnes' video on searching at http://www.logos4training.com/videos/searching/?

Graham

Posts 13127
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 3:20 AM

Graham Criddle:

Have you matched Mark Barnes' video on searching at http://www.logos4training.com/videos/searching/?

Wiki Getting Started with Logos => Search includes Tips plus links.

Tes:
So I think it would be very useful if there is away to learn more about such search features

Thankful for many friendly forum discussions: have learned a lot about searching.  Caveat: aware have lot more to learn; already appreciate learning Hebrew alphabet and vowels being useful for Old Testament searching.

Note: learning Syntax Search can take a lot of trial and errors, see thread for some => how to search a greek phrase in any wordorder?

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2220
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 3:50 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Tes

Graham

Hi, Graham,yes it is  extremely useful, I have been watching it. May the Lord bless him and every body who contributes to the forum to help us to be able to study the Word of God accurately. I love to study my Bible inductively, searches as Dave has mentioned and the visual filter are powerful tools may the Lord bless Logos for this. What I mean is some other search features, which are not yet included in the wiki.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 9877
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 4:33 AM

Hi Tes

Tes:
What I mean is some other search features, which are not yet included in the wiki.

As far as I know most of the search features are documented in the wiki (some of the details of syntax searching are not) and so the way to move forward is to use the features which are outlined there and include them in the way in which you search your resources.

If you want to do something you don't know how to, please ask.

It may not be possible but - if it is - one of the benefits of this forum (as you know) is that there are normally people around who can help work out how to do it.

Hope this helps

Graham

Posts 13127
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 5:34 AM

Graham Criddle:
(some of the details of syntax searching are not)

Added a forum thread link to wiki A Strategy for Syntax Search page => Some Forum threads with help on creating specific Syntax searches:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 221
ROGER JIMENEZ | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 7:16 AM

Tes:
What I mean is some other search features, which are not yet included in the wiki.

For example, I'd like to know if I can distinguish among searches of tables, charts, photos, etc. So far, I've just found #image searches, which are, imho, too general.

Posts 9877
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 7:47 AM

Hi Roger

ROGER JIMENEZ:
For example, I'd like to know if I can distinguish among searches of tables, charts, photos, etc. So far, I've just found #image searches, which are, imho, too general.

Have you tried "#image ANDEQUALS table", "#image ANDEQUALS chart", etc

As per http://wiki.logos.com/Detailed_Search_Help#Searching_for_images this filters images by checking on what is in the associated caption.

Graham

Posts 13127
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 10:18 AM

ROGER JIMENEZ:
For example, I'd like to know if I can distinguish among searches of tables, charts, photos, etc.

One option is searching Title for table or chart:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 221
ROGER JIMENEZ | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 1:03 PM

Ok, let me share this little exercise:

What are the most common visual helps in a book? Tables, charts, graphs, maps, etc.. Sometimes use generic names, i.e. fig. #, CHRT #, etc.. Now, like Adam, we have no choice but to bring them a name. What names have in Logos? Look at the table.

If I'm right, these same inaccuracies will repeat looking for tables, charts, maps, etc.., when searching for a tag, title, or ANDEQUAL with a specific name, because there is only a command for all ot them (#image), we will find the others names, only if they are correctly taged, or tittled, or depending whether or not the name is captioned. Or it can be interpreted differently?

Posts 2220
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2012 11:33 AM

Thanks for all your help.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 13127
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 12:16 AM

ROGER JIMENEZ:
What are the most common visual helps in a book? Tables, charts, graphs, maps, etc.

Description is another useful field to search:

When searching for visual images, appears fields Description, Tag, Title are useful:

Edit: Description field includes hymnal plus more:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 15644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 12:31 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Description is another useful field to search:

When searching for visual images, appears fields Description, Tag, Title are useful:

Great info. Wish we had an expanded wiki page to document all the various search fields and what they can be used for, with nice examples such as what you've given. We have this page already, but the descriptions are short and sometimes somewhat cryptic.

Posts 13127
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 28 2012 12:46 AM

Rosie Perera:

Great info. Wish we had an expanded wiki page to document all the various search fields and what they can be used for, with nice examples such as what you've given. We have this page already, but the descriptions are short and sometimes somewhat cryptic.

Wonder about adding search Tip additions to Getting Started with Logos => Search plus  Basic Search => How do I search for images? and => How do I search for topics?

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS