Suggestions for books for sermon series

Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 26 2012 2:32 PM

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE

I am doing a sermon series on “the Spirit Directed Life”. Spirit filled is a more Biblical idea but it carries with it the ideas of the Charismatic movement and locks up free thought for many. So I have chosen to use the words “Spirit Directed Life” instead.

I have been looking for books about our relationship with the Holy Spirit. The best I have found have been books by Andrew Murray. I really do not want books from the Charismatic or Pentecostal traditions which focus too much on the hype and not enough on the substance of our life in the Spirit. Many books talk about the Spirit as a subject for the intellect only. Theology of the Holy Spirit or pneumatology seem to offer up a dead view or postmortem. From looking at the book of Acts the Holy Spirit directed the apostles and churches. I believe that the Holy Spirit is still active today and wishes to bring direction and unity to our churches—not just unity of Theology or unity of denominations or unity of thinking or ecumenism etc.—but the true unity of the body of Christ.

What would the Spirit Directed church look like today? What would a Spirit Directed person look like today?

Do any of you have any suggestions as to where I might find some book, etc. that might begin to discuss the questions which I have stated above. I of course want them to be biblically based. I have been working on this for several months and could use some suggestions.

Posts 15644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 2:46 PM

Search for "holy spirit" on Logos.com. Don't forget to search on Vyrso.com as well. There are a couple on there which might be what you're looking for. For example:

http://vyrso.com/product/17443/remembering-the-forgotten-god-an-interactive-workbook-for-individual-and-small-group-study

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 3:42 PM

Thanks I have searched both Logos and Vyros but I had missed "Forgotten God" by Chan. The following is a quote from his book.

"The light of the American church is flickering and nearly extinguished, having largely sold out to the kingdoms and values of this world. While most people see that there is a problem, few do anything about it, and most of those who do, run toward the wrong solutions. Instead of speaking meaningfully and insightfully into the culture, we have capitulated and in many cases look no different from the world. I’m not sure if it is a calling or a sense of pure urgency that leads me to write this. Maybe both. The fact is, I don’t have the 'right' to write this book, but I believe it is a book that needs to be written, so I have written it, trusting that God will use it for His glory.

"The Holy Spirit is absolutely vital to our situation today. Of course, He is always vital; but perhaps especially now. After all, if the Holy Spirit moves, nothing can stop Him. If He doesn’t move, we will not produce genuine fruit—no matter how much effort or money we expend. The church becomes irrelevant when it becomes purely a human creation. We are not all we were made to be when everything in our lives and churches can be explained apart from the work and presence of the Spirit of God."

Chan, F. (2009). Forgotten god. Colorado Springs, CO: David C. Cook.

I looks like great stuff. I would be glad to have any other suggestions or comments about this subject.

Posts 15644
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 5:45 PM

These were the others that jumped out at me as possibly meeting your criteria without being Charismatic/Pentecostal or overly intellectual/scholarly/academic.

http://vyrso.com/product/13941/the-divine-mentor

http://vyrso.com/product/14505/our-triune-god-living-in-the-love-of-the-three-in-one

http://vyrso.com/product/13276/chaos-and-grace-discovering-the-liberating-work-of-the-holy-spirit

I haven't read any of them, just browsed through their descriptions and some sample pages or Table of Contents.

I don't have any comments on the subject to add to your quest. Seems like you need to do your own reading.

Posts 745
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 5:45 PM

UL2,  I'd recommend that you look into Spurgeon's sermon series (available in Logos format, and freely over the internet), as well as the Puritan sermon series.  Apart from that, I did the following search within my Platinum+ library with the following results:

Additionally, you can search sermoncentral.com or sermons.logos.com for some insight on how other preachers have handled it

Blessings on your study and sermon series!

"I read dead people..."

Posts 36
Fifer Dad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 6:40 PM

One book I would consider on this subject is Living the Spirit-Formed Life: Growing in the 10 Principles of Spirit-Formed Life: Growing in the 10 Principles of Spirit-Filled Discipleship by Dr. Jack Hayford..  I realize that Dr. Hayford is from the charismatic tradition but his writings would not fall into the stereotypes that you have alluded to.

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 26 2012 9:28 PM

Thanks all these suggestions are very helpful!!!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS