Add a user-editable description field in Library

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 18774
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Apr 7 2012 4:36 AM

I'd like a way to keep my one one- or two-line description of what a book is about -- a field that's editable in the info panel either in the Library or when the book is open (say, up to 256 characters, or maybe 100 would be sufficient). Since the description in the Info panel comes from the publisher and may or may not be a good brief summary (for me) of what the book is about, I'd like a way to annotate my library with quick reminders. For example, the Francis Chan book, Erasing Hell, is, I'm told, a response to Rob Bell's Love Wins -- that is a better summary to jog my memory than the long-winded description that comes with the book. I'd like a way to put that in without filling up a huge long tag (that's not what tags are for, IMHO).

Don't tell me I could do this with Notes. That would mean having a note file for every single book in my library which I care to have such a quick description of, and it would mean opening the book and clicking on the note link in the first page to get to the summary. Too much bother. I just want to see my quick summary while perusing my Library.

Posts 10132
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2012 5:12 AM

Yes Yes Yes

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2012 5:13 AM

Rosie Perera:

I'd like a way to keep my one one- or two-line description of what a book is about -- a field that's editable in the info panel either in the Library or when the book is open (say, up to 256 characters, or maybe 100 would be sufficient). Since the description in the Info panel comes from the publisher and may or may not be a good brief summary (for me) of what the book is about, I'd like a way to annotate my library with quick reminders. For example, the Francis Chan book, Erasing Hell, is, I'm told, a response to Rob Bell's Love Wins -- that is a better summary to jog my memory than the long-winded description that comes with the book. I'd like a way to put that in without filling up a huge long tag (that's not what tags are for, IMHO).

Don't tell me I could do this with Notes. That would mean having a note file for every single book in my library which I care to have such a quick description of, and it would mean opening the book and clicking on the note link in the first page to get to the summary. Too much bother. I just want to see my quick summary while perusing my Library.

Yes

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2012 6:13 AM

What a great idea Rosie!  If the user's summary is before the publisher's summary so that it shows up first when you hover over the book icon, that would be incredibly useful.

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 3578
steve clark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2012 8:28 AM

Hi Rosie,

You mean something like this in User's Voice?

http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-4/suggestions/578305-our-book-review

QLinks, Bibl2, LLR, Macros
Dell Insp 17-5748, i5, 1.7 GHz, 8G RAM, win 8.1

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2012 8:34 AM

Yes

Posts 18774
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2012 2:16 PM

steve clark:

Yes, precisely! I had forgotten about that idea.

Posts 178
DavidS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2012 2:48 PM

steve clark:

I added my 3 votes to it. How about you?

Posts 18774
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2012 3:19 PM

Ud Laugh 2:

Yup, I removed 1 of my votes from somewhere else so I could vote for this, and I added a link back to this thread in the comments.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2012 4:07 PM

Rosie Perera:
I'd like a way to keep my one one- or two-line description of what a book is about -- a field that's editable in the info panel either in the Library or when the book is open

+1 Yes plus would be more useful if can use column in collection rules (similar to MyTags while lacking automatic collection creation)

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS