I want to change layout, but not open resouces

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 282
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 14 2009 5:38 AM

The layout feature in L4 is great.  I've saved several and they work really well.  However, I find that at times I want to switch from one 'layout' to another 'layout', but I don't want to change the resources that I have open. 

For example, a minimal layout has Guide, Bible, Commentary and Dictionary panes, but a layout geared for marking up books has Highlighting, Favourites, Commentaries, Bible, Dictionary, Power Lookup (I use a 22" monitor to see all these).  If I want to change from the first layout to the second, what happens is that I lose all the open resources, and those that were open when I first created the second layout are now displayed instead.

While it is great to save a layout which is focused on a Bible study, to pick up where I left off some time beforehand, it is a pain to have to open new panes and reorganise them each time I want to change from the first layout to the second, without losing all the open resources.  In essence, I cannot change 'layout' without at the same time changing all the 'resources' that I have open too.

Is there an easier way to do this?  If not, it would be a great additional feature to have a checkbox in the layout choser which allows to keep the existing resources, or those saved with the layout.

Posts 7140
Forum MVP
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 6:19 AM

All you can do is change the way the current books are laid out by clicking where the arrow points.  In order to add resources, you'll have to do it manually.  On the postive side, once you have it set up the way you want it, you can click the little pencil by your current layout and rename it > poof saved.

Posts 282
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 7:04 AM

Thomas Black:

All you can do is change the way the current books are laid out by clicking where the arrow points.

Thanks Thomas, but that is simply a one-click way of repositioning the layout of the existing resources.  I can do the same by dragging and dropping them to where I want them.  But having tried those six options, they generally don't do what I want, so are no good to me, although they are great starting points for creating a customised layout.

Thomas Black:

On the postive side, once you have it set up the way you want it, you can click the little pencil by your current layout and rename it > poof saved.

But that is just what I don't want to have to do.  I don't want to save two or three layouts for each Bible study I'm doing.  Saving a layout doesn't do what is appears to do.  It saves a Bible study set of open resources, in the layout they are in.  If I later want to return to that layout, but keep open the resources that I have, I cannot do that.  But, I can choose to return to the previous Bible study set of resources in the layout they were in. I have some layouts saved, but they are essentially different Bible studies instead.  If I have opened a few Bibles/books/commentaries, I have to search again for all these resources and open them to the position I had beforehand, after changing layouts.

In other words, changing 'layout' is a misnomer to me, as I expect it to just change the layout of the existing open resources.  By changing 'resources' at the same time, it is changing much more than just layout. 

Is this possibly just a case of trans-atlantic confusion over the definition and use of words?  In any case, my expectations have been dashed as I had expected something different to what occurs when I change layouts.

Posts 4508
Forum MVP
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 8:08 AM

John,

It does appear as an issue with the term "layout" yes.

You can do this however...

Open a layout or arrange your windows like you like them...

Save the layout.

open more stuff...

Save the layout right over the top of the other one by giving it the same name...

and so on...

The idea behind layouts is that it "marks your place" like a giant book mark so you can come back exactly where you left off in a study.

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 3002
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 9:28 AM

Hi John,

Although Logos changed the name to layout to reflect better the changes they made, I find it helpful to think of them as acting more like a new & improved Workspace than what you're envisioning. Robert is right on that the terminology seems to be leading somewhere that the software isn't going.

Blessings!

Bill

The Grace & Peace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you!
Pastor Bill, Faith Presbyterian Church

W8.1 64bit, Office 2010
i7, 2.40GHz, 1Gb graphics, 8Gb RAM, 7200rpm 750Gb-32Gb hybrid disk
HTC One M8, Droid 4.4.2

Posts 282
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 9:33 AM

Bill Stonebraker:

Hi John,

Although Logos changed the name to layout to reflect better the changes they made, I find it helpful to think of them as acting more like a new & improved Workspace than what you're envisioning. Robert is right on that the terminology seems to be leading somewhere that the software isn't going.

Blessings!

Bill

Thanks Bill, Robert,

I've also been saving over layouts be giving the same name when I've improved on the layout.  And yes, I am getting used to thinking of layouts as workspaces.  But it would be a great feature to have...

in Him

Posts 6625
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 10:19 AM

John Duffy:
If not, it would be a great additional feature to have a checkbox in the layout choser which allows to keep the existing resources, or those saved with the layout.

If I understand your request, you want to keep all the resources in a layout and have the program add these resources to a new layout you are switching to?

I guess I'd wonder how to implement such a function. How would the program decide where to put the 'old' resources in the 'new' layout? What panes would it add them to? In what part of the screen?

I guess I can't see a programmer in Bellingham figuring out how you would like to see these resources incorporated in an existing layout.

Why not just make a much more comprehensive layout? You have a lot of screen real estate. Keep almost everything open you'd like to use routinely. I have a 17 inch laptop monitor and currently have 47 tools and resources open in seven different panels and have no trouble finding what I want.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 282
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 10:47 AM

Mark A. Smith:

John Duffy:
If not, it would be a great additional feature to have a checkbox in the layout choser which allows to keep the existing resources, or those saved with the layout.

If I understand your request, you want to keep all the resources in a layout and have the program add these resources to a new layout you are switching to?

I guess I'd wonder how to implement such a function. How would the program decide where to put the 'old' resources in the 'new' layout? What panes would it add them to? In what part of the screen?

I guess I can't see a programmer in Bellingham figuring out how you would like to see these resources incorporated in an existing layout.

Why not just make a much more comprehensive layout? You have a lot of screen real estate. Keep almost everything open you'd like to use routinely. I have a 17 inch laptop monitor and currently have 47 tools and resources open in seven different panels and have no trouble finding what I want.

Mark,

I have a large display too, but sometimes I find myself wanting to go from a comprehensive layout to a minimal one, say where there are just commentary in one large pane similar to the reading mode (F11), but with favourites and highlighting in two separate much smaller panes.  I find that I cannot highlight when I'm in the reading mode, but when I'm going through a commentary or book, I want to have it take up most of the screen space, instead of continually navigating around one of several smaller panes.

I'm actually not looking to open resources by switching layouts, but more to hide ones that I have opened already. 

In terms of how to implement it, two thougths come to mind.  First, the association between open resources and a layout could be made optional.  That would allow the layout to be saved and recalled so moving to it would not change the open resources.  In order to do this, it may be necessary for some panes to be pre-assigned for different purposes, e.g. commentary pane, Bible pane, dictionary pane, and so on, with others as non-assigned.  This would help direct the resources from one layout into the correct position in another layout.  When modifying a layout, there could be an option to hide pre-assigned panes as desired.  For example, moving from one conprehensive layout to a minimal one for reading a commentary, the power lookup, Bible, dictionary, etc panes could be simply deselected and the others then modified to take up the free space.  When opening resources, the user could have the option of using pre-defined panes for layout purposes or not, as is the case at present.  Personally, I find that when opening certain resources, I would love them to go to pre-defined panes.  For example, I open a book on theology only to find that instead of going to the large pane with commentaries in it, it goes to the smallest pane for dictionaries, making it unreadable - I have to move it each time over to another pane to see it better, or hit the F11 (which is not always what I want to do). 

Putting it in context, I know it's only a minor issue in the larger scheme of things, and that there are many great enhancements already in L4 which I appreciate, and my wife knows that I'm a perfectionist...

Posts 6625
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 11:09 AM

John Duffy:
I find that I cannot highlight when I'm in the reading mode,

This isn't exactly what you want, but I just learned that if you 'float' a resource and also float the highlighter panel you can resize the window for reading and by using ATL-TAB switch between the highlighter and the text and you can apply highlighting in this way. You can do the same with Favorites.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 6625
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 11:17 AM

Another work-around for reading is to load Highlighting, Favorites, and the resource you want to read into one panel by themselves. Then right click on one of the tabs and select 'Open All in a Floating Window." With some careful dragging and dropping within that new open window you can get something like you are asking for.

This is a bit of a pain, but it does work.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 282
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 14 2009 12:02 PM

Thanks Mark.  But it's all a bit more than the two-click operation to choose another layout.  I can work with it as it is, but it would have been nice to change layout without changing resources...

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS